Skip navigation

Fitting the inner roof on a Cab

Back to the top

Fitting the inner roof on a Cab

The Frame of the roof under the leading edge of the head liner looks like:

So I suspect that you could use a thin strip of metal (needs to be flexible as there is a curve in it at the front an a curve in it up..) and either "pop" Rivet it or Screw it into the inner frame.  BIG WARNING.  REALLY BIG WARNING  if you go this way use a drill stop, or something so you 1 don't piece the outer skin, or if you have foam padding you wind it all up in your drill bit….

Shorten the bit in the chuck or use a block of wood and drill through the wood prior to the metal so you cant go wrong…. You probably need to center punch the steel of the frame.

If you think about it, You would fit the strip a little back of the leading edge of the frame…for noise rather than looks…

Glue the headliner in place and smooth it a bit prior to screwing it in, as the glue (waterproof contact cement)
will hold the headliner in place while you attach the strip.  If you do it right it will look factory sort of.  I would paint the strip the same color as the headliner.  The Glue will actually be doing all the work, the strip of material (plastic or metal) will hold the glue tight to the frame….and taking the strain.  Amazing GOOP plumbers edition is a good water proof glue with high adhesion hot or cold.

Don't know if you can get it on your side of the pond.

Just never thought of this….

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thank you for all your help. I am going to follow your instructions but and going to speak to a plastic manufacturer to see if he could suggest a plastic strip instead of metal. I will fit it about 10mm back from the window frame and will glue the lining into place first. 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.