Skip navigation

Mars Red 1.6 GTi Converted Driver..........

Back to the top

Mars Red 1.6 GTi Converted Driver..........

Great little car, love the wheels :)

Back to the top

jellybelly said

saw you today mate, gave you thumb up but i was in the daily and you were giving it beans off bardon island

:)

Haha, totally missed you, was wondering whether you'd be about but thought better of rocking up unannounced. :)

Hairyarse said

Car's looking great  :cool:  Surprised you've got rubbing, doesn't look too low

Cheers  :cool: It's sure is annoying, only a 40mm drop, was on a 60mm drop when I had it as a kid with no problem at all. The wheels are ET12 so can only think that's the problem.

DanChave said

Great little car, love the wheels :)

Cheers dude.

Back to the top
looks good bud, thought of getting narrower tyres?

Back to the top
That's not really the way I want to go, I really don't like the stretched look.

Back to the top
your welcome anytime mate :) always got time  to talk cars :)

Banner

Back to the top
Hi kedge, wondering if you solved the alloy rubbing issue, did you have to get some arch work done? I'm looking at a set myself and hope they can fit ……

Awesome looking golf by the way!

1980 Series 1 GTI (gone now .. what a mistake selling her!)
1979 Series 1 LD - the Mandarin Dragon … gone as well. oh dear.

Back to the top
hysteric Can you resize your avatar pic please - it's a bit large!!  :lol:  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

hysteric Can you resize your avatar pic please - it's a bit large!!  :lol:  :thumbs:

:P

1980 Series 1 GTI (gone now .. what a mistake selling her!)
1979 Series 1 LD - the Mandarin Dragon … gone as well. oh dear.

Back to the top

hysteric said

Hairyarse said

:P

Thanks man!  :lol:  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

hysteric said

Hi kedge, wondering if you solved the alloy rubbing issue, did you have to get some arch work done? I'm looking at a set myself and hope they can fit ……

Awesome looking golf by the way!

Hi,

I didn't get around to sorting the rubbing, it would either need arch work or skinnier tyres really. I'm back on the original GTi wheels, will be selling up fairly soon. :|

Back to the top
Back on the original wheels after they've been powdercoated.

Back to the top
Looking very tidy  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Well after toing and froing about what to did with my Mk1 , had been thinking of moving it on as I really want a 944 and now my E30 is on the road I want to enjoy that to the max as well, I've decided I just can't get rid. Sentiments and all that gush :wub::lol:

I've got a 2l block acting as a trip hazard in the garage now my mates moved house which has has at some point been recently rebuilt which I want to build up and throw in. From the little reading I've done so far it sounds like the easiest option would be to throw a Mk1 8v head and keep the K-Jet, just want to identify what block it is I've got, 2E, ADY or AGG!?

I've also got a set of 15" BBS wheels from one of my old E30s that I'm going to get refurbished and fitted:)

Back to the top
i think its a agg but to be crtain the engine number is hidden behind the oil breather at the top

Old dubs never die, they just get lower

Back to the top

Back to the top
Cheers, will have a look the next time I can get down to the garage. What numbers identify it's type?

Back to the top
the 1st 2 or 3 so it will agg1234567 or 2e1234567

Back to the top
sweet, nice and simple.

Back to the top
Attacked it with some thinners and the engine code starts AAD. Can't seem to find any mention of that one anywhere  O_o

Back to the top
Thread revival!!

Progress was minimal to say the least on this last year, double hernia op followed by then doing a disc in my back curtailed most things for quite some time. However I'm now back spannering and swearing in my Mums garage again, still banned from all two wheeled activities though  :cry: .

So since the last update, the OZ's have been sold to a mate to fit on his Mk2 Jetta, and I've now got the BBS from a previous E30 breaker on the Golf, powder coated in a generic silver.

Never ceases to amaze me how pictures actually make this look a tidy motor  :chuckle:

So I've now bitten the bullet and pulled out the tired old 280+ mile 1600 and set about giving the engine bay a quick spruce up before the 2.0 is then fitted (still need to bolt the ancillaries to that to). All scabs have been dealt with, POR15 has been applied liberally so it should be very well protected now. Just need to finish off with the primer and final prep before laying on the Mars Red.

Engine gone, not a bad job, even without an engine crane.

After its most recent coating of high build primer, wasn't originally going to do the front panel, but just got carried away this morning.

Ideally I want a new engine loom, condition of the old one is probably only just about functional. Getting the impression that the only option will be to make my own though, should be interesting as I've never done anything like that, but the current one will do to get it back on the road ASAP.
There are too many online users to list.