Skip navigation

Opinions On Colour Change.

Back to the top

Opinions On Colour Change.

Personally for me tho, Pastel shades of cream and blue only look good on S1 golfs from the 70's.

Atlas grey or diamond silver are my fave colours and suit the S2 very well.

Back to the top
No issue with changing the colour but that beige thing looks awful it's the colour of a show home!

Back to the top

Raul said

Personally for me tho, Pastel shades of cream and blue only look good on S1 golfs from the 70's.

Atlas grey or diamond silver are my fave colours and suit the S2 very well.

Fair comment, and i think you might be right. I am looking at pastel shades because i want the car to look old - retro, but i guess i would only achieve that by having the small rear lights as ultimately the S2 does look like an 80's car!  :dontknow:

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
MK1 Golf - 1.8 GTI (Build Thread - Here)

Back to the top
Tough one this , on one hand going to all the expense and time of scratch building a car from bare shell to just paint it the "std" colour seems pointless to me , but on the other hand there are countless examples of badly re painted retro cars out there .. If you colour change it has to be period , appropriate , the same colour all over ie floor pan top to toe bay door jambs etc , but also desirable , im that i mean something that ticks the box`s for you as a owner not just for furure resale values .

Back to the top
keep looking and looking for inspiration and when you find the colour on a car / mk1 you think yes i want that then go with that colour, at least that way you know you will be happy with end result

Some interesting and helpful comments here all round though :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
I'm gong back to original on the shell I bought.

It came painted a metallic blue (Corsa colour) but the original colour was Florida Blue and was what I wanted anyway.

If it was not this colour originally, I think I may have went white.

As some have said, your going to be living with it and ultimately you need to please yourself and not others.

:)

Back to the top
Love Florida Blue !

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Good question, my GTI coverible is white, paint getting stuffed, mrs hates white, top is black. I thought of a dark blue/green colour. I think the colour depends on what type of Mk 1 you have.  At the end of the day too distinctive a colour, and you are cop bait.  I once had an old Rover 90 original pinkish colour looks std collectors piece.. but had modified brakes, stainless ex pipes under each door sill and a V8 donk, diod the same to a later ford mk 4 Zef Std colours, cops left me alone.
It is the Golf that is distinctive in its own right a colour
that gives it umpf rather than flashy, like a timeless colour, blends and makes the golf look like a new penny.. Jamz

Back to the top
I like to see stock rides in stock colours.

However, if its a cutosm ride then there's nothing wrong in changing the colour if its the whole body.

Have you thought about a period colour from other VW models? I feel that this can look real nice if done correctly.

For example (seeing as its my other hobby), a colour from say a type 2 bus?

TheSamba.com :: Type 2 Bus paint and upholstery codes

A mate of mine sprayed his split in a beetle colour and the transformation was incredible.  8)

At the end of the day, its your car, you do what you want.  :D

Mrs Choc Rolls Stock!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.