Skip navigation

Opinions On Colour Change.

Back to the top

Opinions On Colour Change.

Hi all

Just a quick question really… Whats peoples opinion on spraying a car a different colour to the factory colour?

I have a resto project in Mars Red but lately have been debating spraying it a Cream colour rather then Red again, really not sure though as i have always said you shouldn't change the colour of a car!

Cheers

D.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
MK1 Golf - 1.8 GTI (Build Thread - Here)

Back to the top
keep it red :)

Back to the top
Mars is the loveliest red going, but do what you feel is right for you.

Back to the top
keep it as it is mate

If you can read this, thank a teacher,

If its in English, thank a soldier.

A soldier fights not because he hates whats in front of him, but because he loves whats behind him.

Back to the top
If you've always said you should not change the colour of a car you answered your own question lol

Oh and im starting to like cream colours and beige tones on mk1's i know what id do if i had the money

It dunt fit

Back to the top

BigandDaft said

If you've always said you should not change the colour of a car you answered your own question lol

Oh and im starting to like cream colours and beige tones on mk1's i know what id do if i had the money

Thats the problem, i have always said it, but i kinda love the older Beige tones! Decisions decisions!

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
To all the people saying leave it red, let the man/woman make there own choice.

If you want another colour then why not, not to wade in with giving options, but maybe keep it a VAG colour, porsche has some nice beige's by the way.

Back to the top

bucket said

To all the people saying leave it red, let the man/woman make there own choice

He asked for peoples opinions. :lol:

What car is it, S1 or S2 or hairdresser top?

Back to the top
If it was aspecial edition car that only came in special pant i agree dont change the colour i had a british open classic mini and wanted to mod it but could not do it has it had all its original bits so got rid. Theres plenty of mars red gti's so if you have the funds go for it fella

It dunt fit

Back to the top
If changing the colour would you be doing a complete all out respray? If so go for what you want tbh. Like Bigand daft said if special edition stay with same. My only disagreement with peeps changing colour is if it's not done correctly and  it's a noticable outside change but when you open the bonnect, doors etc….it's different colour and in my mind detracts from the value of the car.

1983 Cabby Gti All White Edition

Back to the top

Raul said

bucket said

To all the people saying leave it red, let the man/woman make there own choice

He asked for peoples opinions. :lol:

What car is it, S1 or S2 or hairdresser top?

true, well noted ….

Nevada Beige?

Back to the top
Did they have some spare paint left over from from the building ;)

1983 Cabby Gti All White Edition

Back to the top
imo if the car is to be modified further then maybe yes.my old mk1 was cobalt candy blue and g60 powered and i loved it.would i change it if it was to remain standardish imo ....no

Back to the top
I think there have been some very good comments made and I agree with those who said that if it was a limited colour then keep it original and I also agree with if your going to change the colour it needs to be a complete strip down and total respray.

At the end of the day it's your ride and you can do what you want, paint it pink with yellow spots if you must!

Biege all the way!

Back to the top
Your car, do what you want :)

Back to the top
Your car, do what you want :)

Back to the top
Thanks for all the replies guys.

The car is a Series 2, Campaign model so has the colour coded sunroof. The car is a complete resto so if i change the colour it will be sprayed inside and out with windows removed etc..

Quite surprised at the mixed responses, thought i would get a load of dont change the colour responses…

Thanks

D.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top

Daniel060979 said

Did they have some spare paint left over from from the building ;)
:roll:  :notworthy:

Go for the colour that you'll still like in time.

Back to the top
You will have to live with it that colour everyday so best to go with your heart - I changed my golf's colour from onyx green to boston green and love it - granted that is not as much a change as you are suggesting..

Think from you asking means that you are siding to the colour change?

Golf GLS 1980

Back to the top

runnin-idle said

You will have to live with it that colour everyday so best to go with your heart - I changed my golf's colour from onyx green to boston green and love it - granted that is not as much a change as you are suggesting..

Think from you asking means that you are siding to the colour change?

Yeah, I am certainly 70/30 towards the colour change, but wanted to see other peoples opinions as I know colour changes are generally frowned upon, to be honest they are by me too normally however I just love old retro pastelle type colours, beige, cream, blues etc.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.