Skip navigation

The scary G60 conversion

Back to the top

The scary G60 conversion

Right got most of the parts now and the engine is arrived and about to be sprayed up photos to follow, can anyone tell me which pipes they are using for the boost pipework,i am running a Mercedes Sprinter intercooler

Back to the top
For anyone thinking of doing this heres a quick cost update its getting higher than i thought lol:

Engine                                   £360
G60 Gaskets + headbolts         £88
Cambelt and tensioner             £49
Supercharger                         £537
Custom air pipework              £320
Air Filter                                 £16
AF Elbow                                 £29
Lambda sensor                        £40
Exhaust Manifold                      £175
G60 Pulley                               £10
Lambda boss fitted                   £25
Intercooler                              £59
Other hoses                             £60
Cover plates                            £42
ECU                                        £75
G60 Loom                              £156
MK1 Loom                                £35

TOTAL                                  £2,076

I think there will be another £150:00 for filters oil, leads etc to finish this off, i am hoping to recoup £200:00 for my engine as its all sprayed and just been rebuilt, £125:00 for my exhaust and around £500:00 for the stand alone ECU and Injected throttle bodies so the final cost will be £1,401:00 this is pretty comprehensive

Back to the top
Just remember to add a contingency to that total for bits, on a standard build.

I had to get

*Radiator + water elbow
*New relays for the fusebox
*Starter Motor
*Temp Switches
*Drive belt
*Accelerator cable

Few other things too, which escape me at the moment. Little niggly things that start to add up  :(  but are essential

Adam.

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'02 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Absolutely been having a nightmare getting the flywheel of and undoing the bolt on the other end of the crank so I can take the head off, also 2 of they bolts to the inlet manifold rounded off why use soft head Allan key bolts lol.
Oh well keep going and hopefully get that crap undone soon :-)

Back to the top
Okay time for an update i rebuilt the g60 engine did the headgasket timing belt etc and have now installed, as a one man job it was quite tough lol

this is what came out

G60 in place yeaaaaaaaahhhhh

Back to the top
Looking good. Yours will be finished before mine at this rate!

Keep it up.

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'02 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
LOL it was a busy day yesterday discovered my whole is exhaust was custom built for my car in 2 and 1/2 inch pipe so looks like i need and entire system :-( unless i can get my 16v 4 branch modded to fit

Back to the top
great project, this is raifs old car??

g60 has to be the best engine for a mk1 i made 230bhp out of my 8v at the wheels and i should be good for a bit more at a later date. i found it to be literally the perfect amount of power.

i would reccomend against swapping to the llysholm for a few reasons. if you look after the G-lader it will look after you!

good luck with the rest of the build, looks good so far

Back to the top
I am not sure about that it came from Hastings way :-) it's a lovely car.

As to the engine I agree I don't think that the 1.8t have much character :-).
I have no intention of swapping out the g60 it's quirky and vw own genius lol.

Will have more done this weekend ;-) hopefully will be nearly done by then

Back to the top

steveee said

i made 230bhp out of my 8v at the wheels and i should be good for a bit more at a later date. i found it to be literally the perfect amount of power.

Really !!
Can you post up the build spec of the engine then please.
That would be getting on for 300bhp at the flywheel !!
Do you have a plot of a power run from it ?

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Check 'the bain of my existence' thread on edition38 Ade. its a Great read.

Back to the top
Thats epic the guys a legend :-D i really don't have his patience though my build is going to be 2-3 weeks and i am struggling with impatience hahaha.

Also i don't have the cash hes thrown at that thing, he must be looking at a 15-20k build cost minimum.

I have lost so much money on tuning in the past i refuse to get caught again my car will owe me £5,500:00 at the end which i should be able to recover if i decide to sell in the future :-D.

Back to the top

lazey_boy said

I am not sure about that it came from Hastings way :-) it's a lovely car.

As to the engine I agree I don't think that the 1.8t have much character :-).
I have no intention of swapping out the g60 it's quirky and vw own genius lol.

Will have more done this weekend ;-) hopefully will be nearly done by then

ah yeah i have checked and it is his old car, he spent a fortune on it then never used it!

sorry I dont know why i said wheels mines 230 at crank

Back to the top
I know he had it up for £8,500:00 originally however i think that someone did a bit of a job on the electrics lol, hence why i am moving so quick on the conversion to G60 :-(, i did say to him i wanted a G60 in it eventually.
My plan was to buy a really nice mk1 then go for a G60 its allways been my dream car as i said earlier in the thread. I do feel for the guy though as i believe he couldn't insure it with all the modifications, and i guess he had issues too with the electrics :-D.

I got them all working and the Webcon loom is perfect but they fitted a mk1 Phase 1 fuse box and the wiring is hacked to peices and extended with different wires, wires spliced and kept shorting the car out, and the damn immobiliser would cut the fuel pump as you were driving along when i first got it :-P. So i have an untouched mk1 caddy loom to fit and again an untouched corrado loom to splice in so when its all done she will be a true rally slag, i don't want a show car as such (I want it looking sweet and clean though), this one is going to be hammered on track and road, cars are for driving i like to give people a view of the stretched rear end and thats about it hence why the first thing i did was raise the car by 70mm all round it now takes speed humps and bumpy roads quite happily at speed :-P.

I have allways struggled to understand cars with silly stanced rear wheels etc and big engines as they are actually undrivable, and too me i cant see it from the drivers seat anyway, much prefer embarressing a merchant banker in his porsche down the lanes hahaha and then see his face after it all.

To build a show car it will cost around 20k and for that money i can buy a nice porsche so why not have that instead if you just want to pose around where as a wolf in sheeps clothing will bring a permanent smile to the drivers face

Back to the top
yeah i just know of Raif to be honest, where abouts are you from? are you in Kent? there is a useful mk1 G60 thread on edition38 if you get stuck at all

Back to the top
I am based in watford, I have been working to Paul H's conversion guide which i think is the also the one on Edition 38 so far actually its been pretty simple, but the proof will be if it a) starts, b) goes bang within 5 miles or c) actually drives as i hope lmao.

I have done a few minor conversions before but this is far and away the most complete i have attempted so its exciting stuff lol

Back to the top
Where in Watford Lazey? Im just down the road in Chorleywood. Wanna see this done and finished. I got a Gti tin top with Kr and CVK carbs. My first attempt.....so not brilliant but was Moted on Monday so been driving it all week. Have a mk1 caddy too. when funds allow that will be a full rebuild. Got big plans for that.

Back to the top
Cool man I am based down by Watford rugby club on radlett road :-). Good job on the kr fella :-) be good to see that too.
What are you going to run in the caddy??

Back to the top
Well I inherited the caddy when my dad passed so its got major senimental value. He would say mint original as it left the factory…..but thats never going to happen.  :D

Full rebuild (soon i hope) absolute minter and im thinking VR6 supercharged. I have toyed with 1.8t but I have a vr daily and just love the noise and torque. In fact apart from mpg I love the engine full stop. MPG wont matter in the Caddy.

Also with the Eurowise kits you can now get im hoping myself and my mate whos fairly mechanically minded can do 80% ourselves. Ive recently started doing small bits of welding so hopefully will get better. Would like to fit a mk1 rear beam in the caddy and get rid of the leaf spring set up in favour of coilies. Will just then need help with electrics (rubjohnny on here is the man at that!). I have a 6n2 polo gti also. Gonna run the dash out of that…..blue lighted dash in a mk1 truck.  :D

Like I say big plans. Just waiting for the funds to roll in a few months and I can spend the winter nice and warm in the garage.   

Will have to post in the regional meets section see if theres one local.  :D

Back to the top
I understand man I hope you get it as you want, the vr6 is a tough conversion though as all the engine mounts and a new subframe is required to be custom fabricated.

I know there are the nomads from Hemel they meet once a month that's about it really lol :-)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.