Skip navigation

Humble Beginnings...........

Back to the top

Humble Beginnings...........

I know what you mean, I've been stripping parts down, cleaning up and painting for weeks. And then need to re-assemble it all  :o  :o

All good fun though  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Ok so spent most of today and this evening stripping out my bike carbs and cleaning them up, have to say they were all pretty grotty inside and I think I’ll try and sort some new screws / seals before I fit them on the car. Anyway here’s some pics….

Before:

After:

Next step is to completely clean down the outside of the carbs and figure a way of fitting a filter to them, whether to incorporate the existing plastic trumpets or whether to have a new backing plate to fit either a panel filter or individual filters.

So that's a bit more done! :thumbs:

Back to the top
Ok so have been very busy lately but I managed to get an hour in on the car today, tackling the oil breather assembly on the front of the block which has been causing me grief! Taking advice from rubjonny I took the decision to break the assembly off the block to get a better purchase on the offending bolt. But before I did that I wanted to make sure I could get a replacement. Went to TPS and found out that that particular part for the 2.0l 16v 9a Corrado is now discontinued! I emailed loads of breakers that I could find but no one had anything that would fit, nightmare! I went on evil-bay and found an exact example except for the front pipe fitting on the assembly, emailed the seller and they said that it wouldn’t fit however thought I would take a punt and ordered it anyway. You can see from the pics they are identical except for the front pipe fitting which I should be able to get around.

So I broke the assembly off today, had a blow torch at the ready to heat up the bolt however decided to have another crack at it with the allen keys, sprayed some WD-40, gave it a tap with the hammer, allen key in and it came loose just like that! So yeah pretty chuffed with my hours work, that’s now one less thing I have to worry about! I’ll hopefully be heading to the bodyshop this week to take a look at the progress with the paint so far, i’ll get some pics and post ‘em up!

Top assembly is the one I broke off.

Slight difference between the two but shouldn't be a problem…………………….lol

Very crusty and horrible!

Crusty bolt removed, now to finish cleaning up the block ready to be re-painted………..watch this space! :thumbs:

Back to the top
good job! thats a MK3 8v type, they use a hard plastic pipe with a clip so if you were to get one of those from scrappy that might sort you out

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Yeah I'm either going to do that or see whether the 16v pipe will fit as there is a lip on the end of the pipe where I can secure it with a jubilee clip. I don't think there'll be too much pressure build up in the assembly so should hold OK!? 

Back to the top
Have you decided which filter for the carbs you're going to use? My carbs are the same as yours, I'm hoping to fit individual cone filters, love the look, just got to figure how to fit them.

Back to the top
yah have seen that done as well, should hold up fine :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Have you decided which filter for the carbs you're going to use? My carbs are the same as yours, I'm hoping to fit individual cone filters, love the look, just got to figure how to fit them.
No I haven't decided yet mate, I like the look of the cones filters as well it just depends on how much room I have under the bonnet as to what filter I use, I have seen plenty of people on here with the individual cone filters on though so they should fit. I would think you would need to remove the existing plastic trumpets and then attach the cone filters in place of them, I'd hope there would be enough room to attach them with jubilee clips……………..I'll take some pics when I've got them apart :thumbs:

rubjonny said

yah have seen that done as well, should hold up fine :)
Cool, will try that first I think 

Back to the top
Ok so I went to the body shop today and have to say I’m really happy with the results so far, the lower windscreen repair section is in, new front panel is on and the wings, bonnet and doors are all lined up. Also the hole in the roof has been plated, filled with weld (to prevent any sag after it’s been painted) and then a thin skim of filler over the top to smooth it out. He’s also gone all round the car and any little dents or imperfections (have to say there’s quite a few for a 29 year old car with 284,000 miles on it! Lol) have been pulled / pushed out and filled and smoothed. She’s really starting to take shape now, just been sorting out the last details for the paint code today and a few other little bits. Hopefully the car should be in primer by the end of next week and then painted the week after!!!

So that's it for now, more updates soon I hope! :thumbs:

Back to the top
Ok so I went to the body shop today, here are a few pics:

So far the bonnet, front wings, engine bay, scuttle and inside of the car have had a few coats of paint. After painting the offside wing the painter saw a small dent in the wing so then proceeded in smoothing it out and will re-paint it. Sorry for the quality of the pics but he was sanding down other parts of the car at the time and there was small pieces of primer / dust floating about in the air. The engine bay and inside of the car are pretty much finished but he’s got more to do to the other painted areas so these aren’t the finished product yet. From what I saw today I’m really chuffed with how it’s looking, after owning the car for 10 years it’s such a good feeling to finally see in reality what I’ve had pictured in my head for so long. If all goes well then the whole car will be fully painted by next week and I’ll have it home by next Thursday.

It must be true that good things come to those who…………………………………………wait!? :thumbs:

Back to the top
Looking fantastic, no wonder you're on cloud 9  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Yeah I'm really happy with it mate, its just a shame the pictures didn't come out better, I'll get better pics when she's out in natural light.

Back to the top
Nice job there dude. Won't be long till she's back from the paint shop :)

Smudger

Back to the top
Looking good mucker.

Is it gonna take you another 10yrs to get her back together?  :lol:

Ian ;)

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

smudger said

Nice job there dude. Won't be long till she's back from the paint shop :)Smudger
Yeah I know, well happy mate only a few more days left now till she's back hopefully.

borednow said

Looking good mucker.

Is it gonna take you another 10yrs to get her back together?  :lol:Ian ;)
Ahaha I hope not mate, I've got pretty much 90% of the parts I need for the rebuild, just need to find the time to put her back together now, if I can make it to the next AGM I'll be a happy man! :thumbs:

Back to the top
So it’s been a bit of an up and down kind of a day but the good news is that the car is finally back from the body shop after 11 weeks. At the last minute I decided on a colour change to a more “redder” red so chose Flash Red (LP3G), still a VW colour. As is sods law the heavens opened and the car got drenched on the return journey however here’s a couple of pics…..

I'm really chuffed with how she's turned out, better than I could have imagined and she's now a lot straighter. Now all I've got to do is remember where all the parts go! lol

Full steam ahead from now on! :thumbs:

Back to the top
Looking awesome mate. Now comes the fun part of putting her all back together.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Looks really nice and er very 'redder'

Good luck remembering where everything goes! Hope you took loads of piccies as you took it apart.

Keep the updates coming.

E ;)

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Cheers guys, oh yeah I've taken plenty of pictures, got my haynes manual at the ready as well, it's going to get plenty of use over the next few months! lol :thumbs:

Back to the top
Looking great :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.