Skip navigation

Zender bodykit?

Back to the top

Zender bodykit?

Over the years, I've been told that this bodykit is a clipper, a BBS, and so on. Here it is.

The only one that I think it looks like is a Zender Z20.. but they have squared arches?  :dontknow:

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any more information on this, like where they were made, whether they're rare, and whether it is actually a Zender?..
Any information is appreciated  :D

'87 Mk1 Cabby.
MK5 Golf Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Back to the top
certainly looks bbsy with the sill shape and ribs. if it is a bbs kit though it will say so on it somewhere! get underneath and have a look ;)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
   I can't get under there just yet, as it is raining pretty heavily :lol:
But BBS kits seem to have a seperated black part of the front bumper, and no number plate recess.. They also seem to be more square-ish.
Like this?..

Unless there is another style of BBS kit I haven't seen or something? :?

Thanks.

'87 Mk1 Cabby.
MK5 Golf Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Back to the top
Pretty sure this is the Zender 'Exklusiv' Kit

Back to the top
  Yes! That looks exactly like it :D Obviously bar the hideous grille.. :lol: Do you know anything about them?  

EDIT: It seems that the "Exklusiv" part is actually a part of Zender's full name, rather than the name of the kit.. So it's still a bit of a mystery :dontknow:

'87 Mk1 Cabby.
MK5 Golf Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Back to the top
i was thinking a different type of bbs kit, there were a few. but now we can see its a zender of some kind so never mind :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Don't believe so, Zender's own catalogue names it as 'Exklusive' and differentiates between it and others.

The squarer kit you're probably thinking about is the Z20 (That I've cut off in the left of the 1st scan)

When it dries up you'll be looking for part # 4.171.01.03 somewhere out of sight on the underside of the kit.

(The second scan below, English translation… It's page 2 which refers to yours.)

Back to the top
Half way down the advert, on the left… £320.00 (excluding VAT!) when new circa 1983/4

Back to the top
Ah that makes sense :)
Any idea whether they're rare or not? :?
If not, I may go for another look.. It is growing on me though..
Thanks a lot for your help so far :D

'87 Mk1 Cabby.
MK5 Golf Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Back to the top
Wouldn't like to guess on value… Body kits seem to be a 'Marmite' thing, you either love them or hate them.

Personally I like your one and love the Z20, plus the BBS kit above and a few others though I'm the first to agree there's some hideous ones (in my view) out there, but each to their own.

Back to the top
Hmm yeah, I guess aha.
Yeah, I like them too, I'm planning on rebuilding at some point, so I might run it with chrome bumpers for a while, but I'll probably end up putting the Zender back on, it sets it apart from others I think :)
So yeah, thanks for your help, those scans are really cool :D

'87 Mk1 Cabby.
MK5 Golf Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Back to the top

Ellface said

Any idea whether they're rare or not? :?

Here in the States they are rare… and complete kits fetch a handsome sum of money.

Your kit is the Z2, the more sought-after kit (in the States anyway):

1986 Mk1 Cabriolet

Back to the top
what sort of money do these kits fetch in the states ?

Cheers

Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top

richyhill said

what sort of money do these kits fetch in the states ?

This one is presently for sale for a mere $500 (£318): http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5714334-FS-Zender-body-kit-4.220.01.3-KBA-90081 .

There is also a partial Z2 kit for sale (missing the side skirts and front air dam) for only $200 (£127).

And there is a partial Z20 kit for sale (missing the front portion: flares and bumper cover) for just $300 (£191).

Back in 1995, you could buy the whole kit new for $732.  

:o

So, yeah; these kits have held their value quite well, especially the ones with all the pieces, and those are kind of hard to come by.

Then there's the rear Zender hatch spoiler: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-VW-MK1-Rabbit-Gti-Golf-Zender-3-piece-rear-wing-Very-rare-/110897636186?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d203a35a&vxp=mtr .  Currently sitting at $380!  8O

1986 Mk1 Cabriolet

Back to the top
I've been watching that 3 - piece heckespoiler and somebody obviously wants it very badly!

There have been a few for sale lately both here in the UK and in Germany, and no doubt there will be a few more appear now that this one's fetching so much.

Like most things condition, completeness plus what some one's willing to pay will affect value, however (excluding this one) recent prices have been between £50.00 and £80.00.

Kits on Vortex (and eBay.de) always seem to have a considerably higher asking price than those in the UK because tastes are different and demand greater.

Having said that what someone asks for and what they finally sell for are two different things.

I think Kamz has hit the nail on the head, the examples above would be better described as 'partial' kits.

Ellface's kit is the basic 'Exclusiv' that in combination with items such as the the head-light grille (which itself is only complete if it includes the 4 x 5.75" lights and rear fitting plates) becomes the Z2.

The montage above is very misleading… The white tin-top (top right) and purple item in pieces (bottom left) aren't Z2's. There's no bumper covers, (the original bumper being left visible) and the fender flares aren't integral to the spoiler ends.

These both look to be spoiler part # 4.200.02.3 which was available as a stand alone item and had a more pronounced lower lip. The fender flares may be Zender but it's difficult to say for certain from these images.

Z2's are often cited as being Z20's as they are superficially similar. The big difference is the shape of the fender flares. The Helios blue car above (GT100) and the first car below have (complete) Z20 kits. The second is a complete Z2.

The kit below is neither an Exclusiv, Z2 or Z20. It is Zender, it is complete and the seller in fairness has given the correct part # and doesn't claim it to be anything other than what it is.

Again the main differences are the fender flares aren't integral with the front bumper ends, it doesn't have a front bumper cover and the kit itself originally would not have come with a rear apron.

Back to the top
Aha all these years, I've been wondering about my kit, and just assumed nobody knew anything about them..
This thread has sorted it out in a matter of days :lol:
I definately gotta print out those brochure scans  :wink:

'87 Mk1 Cabby.
MK5 Golf Daily.

Instagram - woahnowboys

Back to the top
Anybody know where i can get spare lamps for the grill 4 same size ones the car thats in the first pictures silver one from Kamz as mine are not very reflective on the backing?

Back to the top
Part #'s would narrow it down better… Guessing the outers are H4 hi/lo's and the inners H1 hi's only (or fogs?) and 5 + 3/4" diameter.

Possible match for both currently on Amazon.US but expensive, gives you a starting point though and there's doubtless less expensive copies available.

H4

H1

All

Back to the top
Here's a wee tip, something I picked up on by chance.

Don't know why I even tried this but it worked brilliantly (For me anyway, try it out on something you can afford to ruin first!)

With the light stripped of everything immerse it in a mix of warm water and dish washer rinse aid. I used 'Finish' in case trying other types makes a difference.

Swirling the mix about the inside of the lens over a few cycles lifted most of the built up dust and dirt plus removed the milkiness.

After rinsing in clear hot water I immediately used a hair-dryer to dry off the inside through the bulb aperture before it dried naturally, preventing water stains.

Silvering sparkled like new and the glass was crystal clear.

Worth a stab, might save you getting new lights?

Back to the top
Any chance of a pic of the rear bumper part? my guess is ,the rear bumper part is big and sort of wraps around the original bumper, goes all the way down to the exhaust.I had one of these kits ,but I dont think its a zender kit by the way ,the one i had which looks identical to that was made by Kamei. nice kit though.  mind you , you can get away with bodykits on the cabby .I mean look at the clipper kits on a nice navy or black even red cabby . sexy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.