Skip navigation

My mk1s...

Back to the top

My mk1s...

Cheers swallowtail 8)

Managed to refurb some GTI trims I bought recently using a heat gun :D

Worked a treat which I was surprised and chuffed about in equal measures!

Gonna attempt to bodge these centre caps to fit the P-slots because they're been lying around for years from my mums old mk2, and I don't wanna spend silly money on proper P-slot caps…

Back to the top
love the colour pal!

Back to the top
Progressing slowly  :redfaced:

Glass gradually finding its way back in. Proper green tint stuff 8) 12mm stub axle spacers fitted and silver GTI stripes applied

Need some 185/60s because these 165/50s just don't fill the arches enough :(

Back to the top
are the stripes are to put on? ...im not sure if i want to try it?

Back to the top
Loving all 3

I've been following your thread on edition for the white one and the amount of work that has gone into both of these is awesome..

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
Looks nice!

Love how this went from van to gti :wink:

What sort of ride height will you be running?

Back to the top
Thanks guys :D

Swallowtail - Yeah they're just like any other sticker :D But obviously being a lot larger means another person helping you makes things much easier.  I did mine on my own :lol: They aren't perfect but no-one is likely to notice…

Nicko, thanks fella.  You still have your mk1 then?

Pete - The idea was to be totally standard, so I hope to keep it that way.  Once you start fitting aftermarket alloys etc the suspension needs lowering in order for it to look good again, and then you end up going the whole hog and cutting the floorpan out like I did on my white one in order to get it looking cool :lol: So I want to leave this as is because they look amazing standard anyway!

Update;

To anyone who like me, thinks that windscreen fitting is impossible without the correct tools and training, a £2.50 4m roll of electrical wire from Halfords, some wax/other lubricant on the window frame, two helpers and less than 5 minutes of your time is all thats needed :lol:

Was possibly the fastest, easiest thing I've ever experienced  :|  :lol:  Thanks to Chris and Matt for your help  8)

Back to the top
hey buddy..
yeah still got the mk1. The bodywork hasn't progressed on but starting getting some more bits together for the conversion.
If i can help it i really don't want to sell..

Looking forward to more updates with all of yours. Inspirational work, especially with the white one

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
Sounds like a plan, and then you can drive it everywhere without worrying about getting stuck :roll:

Did you use the old screen rubber? I did my mk2's screen with a brand new rubber and it was hard work!! :evil:

Back to the top
Yeah Pete, it was my old screen rubber so probably a bit softer :?

Getting there…

Back to the top
Looking good!

Golf GT…

Back to the top
Polo GT injection... :wink:

Back to the top
I ran that engine in my Lhasa for a while and they can be surprising wee engines mate ;) Mines wasnt far off my old black 1.8gti but it had a cam,head and four branch.

Daz ;)

Back to the top
GEEZA :D

Mine isn't the full Polo GT engine.  I just got the injection to fit on the early solid lifter engine :mrgreen:

But I can imagine a full polo GT engine breathed on with those kind of mods would definitely compare well with a standard mk1 GTI!

Back to the top
Anti lowness didn't last very long :lol: Coilovers off the cabby now swapped with the H&R springs from this tintop.  Not going to have it any lower than it is in this pic tho :redfaced:  :lol:  A-pillar trims winging their way to me now 8)

Gave it a clean too.  Just waiting for a passenger quarter window off a mate who needs to swap his for some opening quarters…

Back to the top
Just read the whole thread mate, very inspirational!! and what a great outcome. The car looks the dogs danglies mate!

Andy. 8)

Back to the top
I really dig your white GTI it reminds me of mines.

Back to the top
Thanks Andy :D

And Road Baws, thank you too.  Been following your mk1s progress too 8)

Slim Rich mk1 kindly posted me some centre caps from some bottle top alloys so I could see if they fitted the p slots, because I wasn't prepared to pay £100+ for some proper p-slot ones…

Whilst they were the right external diameter to fit in the P-slot, the actual clips in the centre were a smaller diameter so they wouldn't even stay sat in place without falling out.

Managed to get a pic before it fell out :lol:

So I made up some little spigot spacers to fit in the centre of the wheels so the caps would sit snugly in

Done. Thanks Richie 8)

Back to the top
Finally got the A-pillar trims :D Final piece of the exterior puzzle.  Hopefully have a full green stripe interior lined up too  :D

Back to the top
Found myself a campaign interior :cool:  From a Lhasa green one so doesn't particularly 'fit' in with mine, but I don't care.  They will still look right at home to anyone who isn't overly anal about details.

Mouldy ass, stained seats were a very good price, and after a jetwash they came up mint other than the obvious bolster rip :cool:   Pics of them cleaned up will come soon but they're still drying in my living room at the moment :lol:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.