Skip navigation

My mk1s...

Back to the top

My mk1s...

Cleaned the old crackeldy paint out of the gutters

Epoxy Mastic thrown in there

Dug out all the old cracked sealer and re-sealed with 3m between the roof gutter and rear quarter too, but forgot to take pics. :banghead:

Got the windscreen out, by completely ruining it :lol: Found a few concentrated spots of rust, could be worse I suppose.  Was just hoping this car would surprise me with an immaculate scuttle :lol:

Welded up

Pretty immaculate now!

Almost ready! Got a week left to paint it :(

Back to the top
The Salford crew came down to help me finish this off <3 Compromising of Winston, Josh and Ryan, thanks a lot lads 8)

Getting there!

Back to the top
great work mate, pm`d you again..!!! lost your number….

Back to the top
Swings and roundabouts Arun <3

Im having a night off tonight but will pop up tuesday evening :)

The Mk1 Golfs older and better looking sibling……..

Back to the top
arun,text me mate got some work for you on my mk2...!!!!

Back to the top
Love this sort of build :D

Fair play, top work going into this!

Quick question on the the epoxy mastic - I see you are applying direct to clean metal, but can you apply to pitted metal, say after you have cleaned up a area up with a wire wheel?

And with the 3m bag seal, can you apply over any paint finish? I have a mk2 i need to underseal but I have only removed areas of underseal where rust was present. Could I apply this 3m bag seal over the original underseal if I cleaned/de-greased it first?

Looking forward to more progress :wink:

Edit: What pls model are those wheels on the white mk1? - Always liked that mk1 8)

Back to the top
Ayup Pete :D

The epoxy mastic instructions say that it best adheres to blasted clean metal, but it is possible to apply it onto ground/sanded clean metal and even pitted surface rusted metal!  As long as you prep the rusted surface the same way you would if you were treating it.

The 3M instructions say the sealer can be applied to any primed surface :D

So what I did was sand the metal clean, apply the epoxy, etch prime over that, and then apply 3M on top of that.  Then as G-DUB has mentioned earlier in the thread, plastic primer is useful to put over the 3M before top coat can be applied.

Got 6 days to finish this :(

Back to the top
Cheers for that :wink:

6 days eh! Why 6 days?

Nice job on the front lower strut brace to.

Are you on swdubs to?

Back to the top
I have 6 days before the rent runs out on my unit! :(  :lol:

I'm not on SWdubs no, I'm from the north west :mrgreen:

Back to the top
This update comes in association with the Salford massive.

1st coat of primer

Flatted back and second coat

Back to the top
Great job mate, that 3m bag sealer is awesome. Looking forward to your updates. Keep up the hard work.

Back to the top
Quick question mate the 3m sealer youve used what gun did you apply it with is it this? :

also where does the bag attach, im a spray painter and remember using this kind of stuff years ago but it was in tube that you put over the top of sealer on back panels etc

Back to the top

000dave000 said

Quick question mate the 3m sealer youve used what gun did you apply it with is it this? :

also where does the bag attach, im a spray painter and remember using this kind of stuff years ago but it was in tube that you put over the top of sealer on back panels etc

That's the gun mate, the bag twists on to the front nozzle.

Back to the top
good stuff what sort of price did you pay? cheapest seems be about £55? that about average, leaves a cracking finish!

Back to the top
Hiya guys, yeah thats the gun! The bags have an integrated nozzle which is disposable along with the bag.  I got the gun for £40 :D

P.S.

Massive thanks to Ben and Mike! Lads came down from Southport to help me finish this off! 8)

Back to the top
take it your not caring about the inside with no masking in there?

Back to the top
awsome, loving the color, massive amounts of satisfaction painting a car yourself and saves the £££££ too.

Back to the top
Dave, nah I don't care about the inside :lol: Most of it will be covered up. I hope :lol:

G60RGE, yeah, much satisfaction. Although I can't take credit for putting the paint itself on.  Including buying all the materials and paying the lad who sprayed it, it probably cost around £500.  But tbh, he is a pro painter so it was more than worth it. I'd much rather pay someone to do that part of the resto well rather than wreck it myself before I have enough experience.  At the very least, being involved in everything and watching it all happen means I know the car is how I want it 8)

Refurbed grill, trim and badges, and P-slots added.

In its new home whilst I finish off the bits and bobs

Funny how all the bits I removed from my white mk1 about 7 years ago thinking I'll never want to use again have all made a comeback :lol:

Thanks to Chris, Winston, Josh, Ryan, Ben, Mike for all your help this weekend, proper lifesavers  8)

Back to the top

000dave000 said

good stuff what sort of price did you pay? cheapest seems be about £55? that about average, leaves a cracking finish!

I borrowed one  :redfaced:

Back to the top
Beautiful mate, look fab
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.