Skip navigation

My mk1s...

Back to the top

My mk1s...

Threads like me want to really get stuck in on mine and strip it fully. I need a unit :(.

Great work dude!

MK1 Cabby '90 R.I.P

'83 tin top gti

Back to the top
Thanks everyone! :D

G-DUB said

Wow you`ve been busy !

What size are the rears on the white mk1 ?? It looks awsome ..

Would it not have been easier to source a different tailgate ?? looks like a lot of work !

Ive just been doing lots of work under my golf too , if you want to get it back to looking factory as new try these gems

http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-2872-3m-super-seam-sealer.aspx

They also do a 2k spray sealer thats amazing and a high build stone guard , been using loads of them over a PPG 2k etch primer and the results are as good as original vw and then some .. will try finding links to the other two for ya , only thing you have to remember when laying down all these rubberised materials is you have to use a really good adhesion promoter on top of it all before colour goes on or it wont stick properly !

Funnily enough a friend came to see what I've been up to with the cars last night and mentioned to me about 3M rubberised sealer!  But what he told me about is called "Bag Seal" or something.  Where you buy a bag of the rubber sealant and squidge it with your hands to activate it, then attach it to an airline with a gun and spray the contents wherever you want!

What do you suggest to use over the top of the rubberised stuff? :)

And yes, I'm going to replace the tailgate :lol: Its just finding one thats the problem!

Back to the top
It's not often that I'm compelled to write on someone's build thread, but there's some real serious work there, and you should be admired for your bravery.

The White one looks very adventurous. What are the full plans for it?

1980 Mars Red GTI BRMotorsport 142
1983 Black GTI

Back to the top

Phataz1 said

Thanks everyone! :D

G-DUB said

Wow you`ve been busy !

What size are the rears on the white mk1 ?? It looks awsome ..

Would it not have been easier to source a different tailgate ?? looks like a lot of work !

Ive just been doing lots of work under my golf too , if you want to get it back to looking factory as new try these gems

http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-2872-3m-super-seam-sealer.aspx

They also do a 2k spray sealer thats amazing and a high build stone guard , been using loads of them over a PPG 2k etch primer and the results are as good as original vw and then some .. will try finding links to the other two for ya , only thing you have to remember when laying down all these rubberised materials is you have to use a really good adhesion promoter on top of it all before colour goes on or it wont stick properly !

Funnily enough a friend came to see what I've been up to with the cars last night and mentioned to me about 3M rubberised sealer!  But what he told me about is called "Bag Seal" or something.  Where you buy a bag of the rubber sealant and squidge it with your hands to activate it, then attach it to an airline with a gun and spray the contents wherever you want!

What do you suggest to use over the top of the rubberised stuff? :)

And yes, I'm going to replace the tailgate :lol: Its just finding one thats the problem!

Thats the stuff , been googling it for ages trying to find a link for you , leave it with me ill track down a supplier in your area ..

Its a 2k product which means its chemically activated (a catalyser makes it go hard) so when it dries it doesnt sink or shrink in build .. water based and solvent based air drying materials decrease in volume and depth as they dry as its the water or solvent in them that makes them liquid - remove the water or solvent carrier and your left with the base material .. thats why 2k primer builds so thick compared to cellulose products ..

sorry , started waffling again

Back to the top
Here is your etch (bare metal) primer , and also a high build 2k primer ..

PPG Refinish Distribution | PPG Refinish Distribution

wouldnt bother putting high build 2k primer on the under side - its too soft and is also hydroscopic so it absorbs moisture .. from bare metal you want a nice couple of medium wet coats of etch , then when its touch dry give it two coats of stone guard , then brush sealer , then finish  with spray sealer .. it will be just like vw did when it was new

plastiprimer 1500 is very similar to what i use , ill get you a exact product number , you spray it on , leave it half a hour to bite in and open the pores of the substrate , then carry on .. all of these products will come with tec sheets that give you exact info on how to use them , if they dont offer them then ask for them !!

http://www.brownbrothers.com/products/paint/maxmeyer/maxmeyer-primers

Back to the top
here is the stone guard (do not use schutz - its a bitumin based high impact resistant cavity protector and cannot be painted over)

http://www.radicalbodyshopsupplies.co.uk/products-page/paint-ancillaries/underseals-stonechip-wax/3m-body-gard-stonechip-coating-grey-08879-1kg/

here is the 2k spray sealer

http://www.refinishsystems.com/product/617-139/3MTwoPartSprayableSealer08823

if you get stuck just pm me with anything prep / paint related , try and find a brown brothers supplier near you there very very helpfull

Back to the top
Thanks for that great info G-DUB Sir, very kind of you 8) Paint adhesion is one thing I get very scared about as it basically decides whether all your hard work will be undone or not 8O

I know of a Brown Brothers supplier in Trafford Park, and a place called Colourtone sells the 3M Bag Seal stuff as far as I've heard :D

Thanks again,

Arun

Back to the top

benandemu said

It's not often that I'm compelled to write on someone's build thread, but there's some real serious work there, and you should be admired for your bravery.

Thanks a lot matey 8) Your mk1 was literally the perfect mk1 when you had those BBS E30s on it, I have to admit I almost shed a tear when you decided to sell them  :cry:

I don't want to give too much away about the white Golf, purely in case plans change and people get excited for no reason.  But I will say that plans involve an engine with no pistons :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Nice work there Phataz1. I like the liberal coating of epoxy :wink:

Back to the top

Yomp said

Nice work there Phataz1. I like the liberal coating of epoxy :wink:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I need to get hold of a spray gun so I can make it as neat as yours!

Back to the top

Phataz1 said

benandemu said

Thanks a lot matey 8) Your mk1 was literally the perfect mk1 when you had those BBS E30s on it, I have to admit I almost shed a tear when you decided to sell them  :cry:

I don't want to give too much away about the white Golf, purely in case plans change and people get excited for no reason.  But I will say that plans involve an engine with no pistons :mrgreen:

Thanks.
If I sell something, it's only because I've found or bought better!
The car is due for its next phase and if you like it now, you'll love it when I'm finished.

Will you be using a Mazda turbo motor then?

1980 Mars Red GTI BRMotorsport 142
1983 Black GTI

Back to the top
Will it be a Van Phatazs

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top

allana13 said

Will it be a Van Phatazs

Yes it will be, obviously no attempt to make it look like an original though.  But I'll have some signwriting on the panel so I'm not fussed about having the pressings like the original :D

Ben, good guess :lol: Possibly a turbo, but it depends what I can get hold of :D I already have an MX5 which I will be using the subrames/suspension/drivetrain from, and hopefully mate it to one of those spinney unreliable engines designed by that German guy with an explicit name :lol:

Back to the top
Phataz if you are making some panels please let me know as i would be interested in them too...

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
What a guy!!! 8)

You have been busy man. I will be up soon just left me get this nightmare of job out the way this week. I promise :lol:

The Mk1 Golfs older and better looking sibling……..

Back to the top
Had a full night on it tonight as the missus was away :mrgreen: 8pm to 4am :lol:

Totally stripped the floorpan behind where the fuel tank sits.  Would have done the area above the fuel tank but I need to do some welding to the rear beam mounts first :roll:  :lol:

Chucked some Epoxy Mastic at it after finishing off one of the main areas of welding

Missed out this picture whilst trying to post all the previous pics. This is how the rear panel was before I replaced it :lol:

Rust had spread to the boot floor, rear quarters and arches!

Back to the top
Thats some nasty rust mate.

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Finally got round to getting on with this :roll:

Got one rear beam mount almost finished

Repair panel was that crap a fit that ther's not much of it left any more.  May as well have just fashioned the repair out of sheet :lol:

Needs some gaps bridging still.

Also finished my stainless filler neck.

Available to buy soon for those that want one :wink:

Back to the top
Loving the work mate :)

Back to the top
Good work. How much will you be wanting for the filler necks?

Mk1GTi
Rallye Golf
Mk5 GTi
Mk7 GTD
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.