Skip navigation

Mk1 bumper with chrome trim strips question

Back to the top

Mk1 bumper with chrome trim strips question

OK, I cannot do anything today or this weekend as I am away on the first visit to see our families and grandchildren.

I am now retired, I would like to to have a look next week, take some photos of what I have to support this option.

I the first instance the bumpers, the washer jets and any of the supporting items that I have.

Some is in another garage, some is packed.

I can pm you with the info next week if that is OK..

Back to the top

Back to the top
All,
Should Malcolm not have all the bits you need, I have some - washer bottle, some fixings and the two rubber mountings that hold the jets. 

Malcolm, I'd like to go second dibs if they don't go to bones65 . 😉

Back to the top
OK, the plot thickens. I did manage to see my families and Grandkids yesterday. So glad as it is raining cats and dogs today.

However, I have collected the bumpers from my other garage.

So I have misled you both a bit. I do have a set of front and rear black bumpers with chrome trim in good condition without the headlight wash jets for the front.

Both metal support frames and attachments are in very good condition with very little surface corrosion (mostly powder coat black) and are as original. They have been dry stored for 6 plus years, more like 10 years. The front one has the original indicators and connection looms

Reference the front bumper with the wash jets. I do have a dismantled front bumper cover that had the washer jets fitted. Also the metal frame in fair condition (not full of rust). It is apparent that the metal frame does not have to be modded to accept the wash jets, just the cover.

Despite being a chrome trim bumper, unfortunately this cover does not have the actual chrome trim fitted as i cannibalised it for my own front bumper during restoration.

Due to the weather, I have yet to locate the full compliment of the washer jet components. I will try again tomorrow weather permitting.

Back to the top
I am concerned that it might take me some time for find the necessary bits for the wash jet system.

Looking to see what might be available on ebay. I have to say not a lot of decent bumpers at all.

I have seen this original bumper in grey which with a refurb might meet your requirements:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GENUINE-MK1-GOLF-FRONT-BUMPER-WITH-CHROME-STRIPS-AND-HEADLIGHT-WASHERS/223716709080?epid=10010332257&hash=item34168e12d8:g:4wIAAOSwQ4Rdrv2A

You will see that my original front bumper was in a similar condition before I refurbished it.

Please see pages 16 and 17 of my project on the website:

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&type=misc&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fgarythegolf&start=300

Back to the top
I have looked in my garages and have some good news and some bad.

Since Sunday I have managed to open every packing box but unfortunately have not been able to locate the washing jet components that I had.

P1040387.JPG

I do have the larger washer bottle in good condition and two spray jets I picked up at the AGM. The two jets I have are not a matching pair, though left and right, one has had a local repair the other has a rough surface that could be made good.

P1040390.JPG P1040391.JPG P1040392.JPG

The good news, I have a matching set of black bumper with chrome, there are some obvious nicks and scars over time and a slight dent, but overall the condition is very good.

I would like £125 o.n.o. for these bumpers, which reflects what I paid for them when I got them.

P1040365.JPG P1040366.JPG P1040367.JPG P1040368.JPG P1040369.JPG P1040370.JPG P1040371.JPG P1040372.JPG P1040373.JPG P1040374.JPG P1040375.JPG P1040376.JPG P1040377.JPG P1040378.JPG

I do have a good condition front cover and bumper bar with a pair of attachments. The cover has been cut for the washer jets but has no chrome. I am open to offers on this.

I was considering these as a future project to modify by fitting the jets and the components I cannot find, and after market chrome.

P1040379.JPG P1040380.JPG

They are now stored in my garage at home.

P1040389.JPG P1040393.JPG

Back to the top
hi malcolm, gotta say those bumpers look fantastic! i just found this thread after searching for ages for the chrome/silver insert. I will definately be buying some of it from pascal. I have the same issue with my bumpers, only bought the car a few weeks ago and have been looking for a way to restore the original dark grey colour. So a heat gun is best? I have no experience at all with a heat gun, don't even have one. Is there not a degreasing agent of some kind that can be applied? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Also, to anyone who may know, i have a beige/gold car with the tan/brown interior, both parcel shelve supports are broken. i was thinking of buying black ones and spraying them brown, anyone know the correct name or colour code of the brown that was used? Was gonna do the same with a replacement black parcel shelf

Back to the top
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I had a password issue whilst trying to change it.

Re the bumpers, the front bumper was original and covered with all sorts, dirt, overspray etc.

Apart from normal paint removal products, small wire brushes, it was cleaned with detergent again and again, the old chrome had been removed as it was not very good and further damaged by the heat gun. don't fit new until the bumper has been refurbished. a normal paint stripper heat gun was used.

You can of course used other bumper products to get the desired colour, some even use peanut butter! Generally the plastic has dried out and gone a light grey colour.

I used the heat gun to turn it darker, its almost like remoulding the bumper again. I got my chrome from another bumper which was a black bumper.

See pages 16 and 17 of my project to see the process, see link below. Notice the burnt chrome, don't fit it until you have finished the bumper. I did this in 2014, 7 years on, it is still good.

On the same pages you will see that I painted my rear parcel shelf mounts in blue. I painted mine with VHT vinyl dye. I would not worry too much about the colour match, the colours might match from day one but after 20-30+ year the colour changes at different rates between the dash, door cappings and parcel shelf mounts. I also painted my original carpet with it, there is a method though.

https://www.vhtpaint.com/specialty/vht-vinyl-dye

You can of course leave the parcel shelf mounts as the original black.

The "tan" colour from VHT is a bit too light, so probably too different from the original.

There are other products: Plenty of browns to choose here:

https://www.vinyldye.co.uk/?tracking=589744b9304f3&gclid=CjwKCAjwmv-DBhAMEiwA7xYrd_Bn012J970PMtlnftTrcnhSNxei7Zf3C11R7FHEWCjSRjjrjVlOnBoCYEEQAvD_BwE

Hope this helps.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.