Skip navigation

Mk1 bumper with chrome trim strips question

Back to the top

Look inside the bumper covers and remove the metal clips at the end of each chrome strip.

The strips have a form/shape that engages with the bumper. They are glued to the bumper at intervals along the trim, be careful in disconnecting at the glue points.

Don't stretch the trim in removal. Then you can treat the bumpers.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Back to the top
74E5C1C9-ED9B-4A02-9533-12BA95328EC6.png There is a guy selling what he says in NOS of the chrome trim on mk1 Golf parts for sale page on Facebook, wants €50 a strip so I'm not risking it but might be worth a shot?

- Project 5dr gl - 16v Kr - R1 Carbs = Back On Road

Back to the top

If you wanted to do a whole car that would be circa £200 on top of having good bumpers to mount the trim on.

However, he has a monopoly, I have not seen any other supplier providing this product. I have been looking for a long time.

I was fortunate to buy a NOS rear cover with chrome a few years ago and I canibilised chrome from another bumper for the front.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Hi all,

Still looking for those trims for my -82 GL   - anybody find good ones which can be fitted to orginal bumbers?

Try to find those already long time but no luck…

br,
Tomi

Back to the top

Back to the top
Still on the lookout myself, no luck as of yet ☹️

Back to the top
I've just dropped the Facebook seller a message to see if they will fit my MK1 jetta bumpers. Whilst were on lockdown I think I'll make the most of it and look for an alternative!

IMG_20200330_110828.jpg IMG_20200330_110758.jpg

Last edit: by Ojs2611

1980 MK1 Jetta LS Series 1

Back to the top
So for the life of me i couldnt find anything!!

i bit the bullet and spent 160 euros purchasing some trim (2 lots of thick, 2 lots of thin) from Pascal on facebook, i cannot moan (except for the pirce!) they were just what i needed after having the original bumpers repaired..

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200413151621990_COVER.jpg 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200413151608154_COVER.jpg

Back to the top

They look good, are they an exact form to the original form they replaced?

Back to the top
[

Malcolm said

They look good, are they an exact form to the original form they replaced?

They are, but the narrow trim has been made by cutting the larger trim in half, check the photos out below - you can see the cut marks!

I'm sure someone in the classic car/automotive trade could identify the trim for sale somewhere, but I just couldn't find it.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200413175050561_COVER.jpg
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200413175107447_COVER.jpg 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200413175134892_COVER.jpg

Back to the top

OK, it was the lower trim that caught my attention. The original form for the lower trim is different to the top. Regards

Back to the top

Yeah it is, it's very close to the original. Here's my original strips, I'm confident its the same between Jetta/golf bumpers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Back to the top
How was it to attach? 
I'm tempted to order myself once all this has blown over 🤞🏼

Back to the top

To be honest, it was tight to fit and I did think what the hell have I just spent £150 on.. but, work it in with your thumb and it locks in nicely. It's not going anywhere once it's in. The edges are all clean and tidy, and look great when fitted.

The seller sends them with about 0.3m extra on the end, so you can trim to your bumper as needed (I was worried incase the Jetta bumpers were actually deeper and therefore needed more, but it was perfect with plenty left over)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Thanks! 

Might just have to bite the bullet. Replaced all of the chrome on my GL except the bumpers so far & they annoy me so much.

Back to the top

I am sure this topic will continue, it has been going since May 2020!.

Its a pity that one of the usual suppliers hasn't come up with a solution and reasonable price since to address it.

Like 5 door cars, carpet and chrome, there's probably nothing in it compared to the supply of parts for 3 door cars and GTIs.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Some time in the life of my GL model i reckon the bumpers have been changed. They are now black with no chrome or the headlight washers that were standard on this model.

I am going to try and source either the correct bumpers or buy the chrome strips (if i can).

Can anyone enlighten me whether the GL model was automatic choke only as mine is Manual. I am also blessed with a five speed box and as I have the cars birth certificate know it left the factory with such.

5b7abc5c9137d.jpg

2006 MK V VW GOLF GTI EDITION 30 (OLLI)
1983 MK1 VW GOLF GL 1.5
1979 VW T2 BAYWINDOW DEVON MOONRAKER CAMPER (NANCY)

Back to the top
Hi,

I am fortunate to have the original GL spec with grey bumpers, chrome strip and headlight washers.

The grey bumpers need constant maintenance to keep them the dark grey.

DSC_0011.JPG

What I do have is a pair of black bumpers with chrome trim in good condition that have been modified to take the original washer jets.

Somewhere I have the larger wash bottle and bits to install a system. You might have this already, in addition you might also have the necessary additional circuit and relay to operate them when your main lights are on.

I was keeping these as a mini project to refurbish and move on in future.

Before lock down I was hoping to relocate to Worthing this year, apart from the bumpers, many pieces are packed ready for the move.

You are welcome to have a look, I am based in Romsey Hampshire.

Assuming you have a 1.5 model, it had an automatic choke fitted to the Pierberg 1B3 carb. I currently have a Weber TLP carb with manual choke fitted but can revert back to the original.

You are fortunate to have the 5 speed option, an option I retrofitted to mine. It makes such a difference on long journey cruising.

Back to the top
Hi mate i would be very interested in the bumpers as i am intent on getting the car back to stock. My email is bones.boney@gmail.com.

How much you thinking of for all the parts.

2006 MK V VW GOLF GTI EDITION 30 (OLLI)
1983 MK1 VW GOLF GL 1.5
1979 VW T2 BAYWINDOW DEVON MOONRAKER CAMPER (NANCY)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.