Skip navigation

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

Back to the top

Shellby - 83 gti ABF on carbs

Nosmonkey said

Fiesta Rainbow recaro's, good find! When you're getting them re-trimmed if you take care removing the old seat material i'd be interested :thumbs:

Yeah, was a happy boy the day I won those! I think well be talking years before the retrim, rather than months, but ill let you know if that changes.   :thumbs:

Back to the top
Brilliant build thread, you seem to have done some things very similarly to me :lol:.

I think I may have to steal your seat mounting idea so thanks in advance :thumbs:.

Also I can't see the pictures from when you first got the shell, don't suppose you have a couple you could post up?

Back to the top

Morgie said

Brilliant build thread, you seem to have done some things very similarly to me :lol:.

I think I may have to steal your seat mounting idea so thanks in advance :thumbs:.

Also I can't see the pictures from when you first got the shell, don't suppose you have a couple you could post up?

Definately some similarities, but you are light years ahead of me!!   :thumbs:  

The seats were a pain to do, tried measuring up off the old seat, but no real datums to take measurements from. In the end I left the passanger seat in, put the driver subframe in and marked the angles and heights with chalk by eye, removed it and cut it slightly higher with a cutting disc, then kept fitting it and balancing the recaro on top, in, out, in, out until i was finally happy with the fit. Not very scientific, but got there in the end.  :lol:   I'll be working on her tonight and hopefully thursday, so if you want any photos/measurements let me know.

Havent got many shell photos, I bought it as an abandoned project shell, i'm 99% certain it was Jellybellys "project rotbox" theres a 40 odd page thread on the repairs he carried out on the shell. Id already bought the shell when I found that thread, wasn't until about page 40 that i started noticing the patchwork repairs matched those on mine and thought "jesus, I think thats my shell!!"  :lol:   I contacted him, but he said his shell had gone to be scrapped, but think it's somehow made its way to me. Theres a build thread on ED38, also called Shellby, which has all the photos that are missing from this one, or i can look through my photobucket album for anything specific if you need anything, let me know. Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Morgie said

Definately some similarities, but you are light years ahead of me!!   :thumbs:  

The seats were a pain to do, tried measuring up off the old seat, but no real datums to take measurements from. In the end I left the passanger seat in, put the driver subframe in and marked the angles and heights with chalk by eye, removed it and cut it slightly higher with a cutting disc, then kept fitting it and balancing the recaro on top, in, out, in, out until i was finally happy with the fit. Not very scientific, but got there in the end.  :lol:   I'll be working on her tonight and hopefully thursday, so if you want any photos/measurements let me know.

Havent got many shell photos, I bought it as an abandoned project shell, i'm 99% certain it was Jellybellys "project rotbox" theres a 40 odd page thread on the repairs he carried out on the shell. Id already bought the shell when I found that thread, wasn't until about page 40 that i started noticing the patchwork repairs matched those on mine and thought "jesus, I think thats my shell!!"  :lol:   I contacted him, but he said his shell had gone to be scrapped, but think it's somehow made its way to me. Theres a build thread on ED38, also called Shellby, which has all the photos that are missing from this one, or i can look through my photobucket album for anything specific if you need anything, let me know. Matt

Ok thanks bud, I'll tackle these seat frames next week probably and see how I get on. And I'll have a browse over on Edition as well  :)

Also this is the stuff I used for my interior floor:

Back to the top
Bit of work completed over the last two evenings.

Paint prep is coming along nicely.

Boot finished

Rear offside quarter and door complete

Just the wing to complete and fit and that's the offside done! :)Whilst that's been going on I've been cleaning up engine bay parts.

Drive shafts and windscreen wiper parts painted. Water pump primed.

Steering rack primed

Shiny gearbox

Then a little side project, removed the dash board, it's filthy!

Oh my, there's a lot of wires behind there

Needed to work out how the steering column fitted and worked so I could install this

Wilwood bias pedal with 0.7 and 0.625 master cylinders :)Need to buy some more paint, finish the engine and then start assembling it with the clutch and gearbox.

Last edit: by pazwaa

Back to the top
 :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Had a few hours to play tonight. Found out one of my work depots has a sandblaster, so got them to do my wishbones, came out well

Quick tip for getting unwanted bushes out of wishbones, hacksaw one end off, place a large socket one end and a small socket the other, then close in a vice, the bush pops out into the large socket.

Seam welded the wishbones

Then primered

And a few engine parts finished

Had hoped to finish painting the engine, but made a mess of the rocker cover, orange peel everywhere. :ocf_emoticons__BangHead:So will sand that up and try again.

Soon be time to start re-assembling everything, bit worried about the mass of parts I seem to have, hopefully will all make sense. :lol:

Back to the top
Very small update. Progress is very slow. Been cleaning parts, stripping paint, removing rust and paint parts ready for the re-build.

Parts drying on the washing line

And a bucket of finished parts

Started on the headlights, not in a good way :lol:

Does anyone know a part number for the bolts and springs that hold the two sections together?

Back to the top
Nice work buddy. Putting the washing line to good use I see. Bet the Mrs was happy :lol:

Back to the top

smudger said

Nice work buddy. Putting the washing line to good use I see. Bet the Mrs was happy :lol:

Got some dirty looks, even more when I pinched her washing bucket to put the bits in   :lol:

I can't register on the vagcat site you sent me the link for, would you mind looking and seeing if the codes for the headlight parts are listed? Probably gonna be cheaper to buy new ones, but would would rather refurb if possible. Cheers.

Back to the top
Standby mate I will have a look for you. :)

Back to the top
Does this image look right to you mate? If so which number do you need?

Back to the top
That's the one Smudger, items 9 and 10.

Cheers, youre a hero  :thumbs:

Is that off the vagcat site?

Back to the top
Yes mate off the vagcat site.

Item 9 shown as adjusting screw…… 113941141

item 10 shows as tension spring …….. 321941157

Hope that helps.

Smudger

Back to the top
Very well done on the work you've accomplished so far, like the bending 'tool'. Just watch when using those stainless fittings as they can be very brittle & can snap in comparison to the usual tempered steel bolts. I wouldn't use them 'structurally'.

Back to the top

Cero said

Very well done on the work you've accomplished so far, like the bending 'tool'. Just watch when using those stainless fittings as they can be very brittle & can snap in comparison to the usual tempered steel bolts. I wouldn't use them 'structurally'.

Thanks Cero, means a lot  :thumbs: Bending tool is a beast, can also convert it into a hydraulic press, very useful for bearings, just have to use them with care as its like a museum piece, design before health and safety existed  :lol:

Cheers for the tip on the bolts, just gonna use them to add some shininess to the engine bay, nowhere where real strength is required  :thumbs:

Back to the top
I've got one of those benders at work for making handrails. I see you have a 'cut down' version of it :lol:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

I've got one of those benders at work for making handrails. I see you have a 'cut down' version of it :lol:

Yeah, that's what this one is used for, but as I say, a bit primitive  :lol:  you got one of the nice red jobbies with proper radius forming tools?

Back to the top
Something like that but it still belongs in a museum :lol:

Back to the top
Been nearly three months since I did an update. Been beavering away, clean components up and painting them. Finally have enough photos to warrant a post.

Car is almost ready to begin paint.

Near side being finished. Plus the wing is on, this wouldn't fit earlier because the front inner wing was too short. Had to split it to get the bolt holes for the wing in the correct positions.

The split  :P

There are too many online users to list.