Skip navigation

Mk1 Golf 16v - Full Body Restoration - Insta chrisqgolf

Back to the top

Mk1 Golf Driver - 16V project

Carbs are now with Paul at Finish Finale getting a fresh vapour blast and ultrasonic clean.  

Jason's nearly finished with my engine also, trigger wheel setup all complete with serp belt set up. Dizzy blank in with coil pack attached and now just mocking up some HT leads. Also just needs some final touches to the manifold and then back to me.

Annoyingly you can't seem to buy this little bush on its on anymore, you can buy the mk2 version on its own but its too big and the one that comes in the GSF rebuild pack states its for a mk1 but its not. The orange ones are mk2 and the clear ones are mk1. Anyway, I had to buy one with the metal casing just to get the correct bush and annoyingly I had already got john to powder coat my other casing, so I decided to drill out the rivets and get the bush out to place in my powder coated one with M5 Stainless Steel bolts and nylon lock nuts. I'm doing this purely because it would drive me insane that everything else would be black put this little guy.

Then put some CV joints on my drive shafts and tested them in my hubs to make sure there was no ßinding (as found with cross over parts of 90mm and 100mm CV's and Hubs) but all fine and free moving with no touching of CV to the back of the Hub carrier.
Annoyingly I just ordered all the same joints, when in fact the two inner ones are different, the CV themselves are the same but the gators are different, will have to order the correct gaitor before I put that CV joint on.

Also decided to fix my CV heat shield as it had a small crack in it as my other previous one had broke in exactly the same place.

Old broken one -

Replacement, crack and sanded down surfaces.

And with Fibre Glass sheet in, insane how there's no flex in it now compared to before. Will tidy it up a bit before it goes on.

Back to the top
We're did you get bottom pulley and rpm sensor kit from

Back to the top
Nice work.

Loving the detailing of every part. Can see why you've been at it so long  ;)

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Hey Ashton, afraid it's not a kit you can buy it's all custom built. I'm running a 1.8T crank pulley wheel and the VR sensor is unbranded from ebay, I literally have no more details on the sensor other than that. The trigger wheel and mount have all been fabricated together by Jason at JMR (Jason Moyle Racing)… I hope this helps?

And cheers Borednow, it is all very time consuming but I just know if I dont do it right the first time round it will bug me every time I look at something thats not 100%. Wish there was more time in a day! ha 

Back to the top
Nice to see your on the case with things and its coming together for your Mk1  chris.

Is there a Month this year your aiming for to get it installed an running?.

Keep up the top work budd :thumbs:

Back to the top
No particular month, just asap! ha. You popping along to the SWdubs meet in exeter on the 5th Feb?

Been thinking about brakes again recently and because I plan on running the S2 (G60) brakes I'm going to need a suitable master cylinder to accommodate it. The actual Audi M/C that the G60 brakes came on used a 25mm piston but this M/C costs an absolute fortune. So after doing a bit of research it came clear that some guys transferring 1.8T engines into Mk2's would use a 'Stubby' M/C out of a Ibiza Cupra R which has a 23.8mm piston, which fortunately fits onto a mk2 servo with very minor modifications to the push rod. I decided this was close enough and went about finding one and figured out that these same M/C were used on a Ford Focus, which proved easier to get old of. I know, a piece of Ford is going on the Golf, blasphemy! But its ok, its a Bosch Item really.

Cleaned up -

Then had to cut off the lobe in the middle for a standard reservoir to sit in. Pound coins fit in perfect, which where then tapped down and then the lobe hack sawed off.

And then standard mk2 golf reservoir bushes/plugs put in and thats job done  :thumbup:

Put together my speedo cable. I bought a new cable and the correct coloured gear (the colour determines how many teeth it has for the correct speed reading/ratio) for the cable, but then realised it was missing the small metal circle clip that goes on the end of the cable to hold on the gear. I found one on the internet for like £5 plus P+P and thought, jesus that's expensive! decided to try my luck at VW… 29p.  :cool:

Clip in place -

and then the gear slotted on and put in its correct place. (Circle clip seen through hole)

Also realised that the short shift throw arm I have mounts the ball arm wrong? (Ignore the bent arm)

So Mark at Classic VW is talking to epytec to get this sorted out for me.

Oh, and bought an updated trolley jack, absolute god send! Its a Clarke CTJ2QLP low entry, 2 Tonne jack with nylon wheels which are far quieter than the old steel wheel jack.

Back to the top
Excellent work as always, I've been following this with interest.

Like your approach to every part/piece of the puzzle, good info on the shorter m/c to.

I reckon I'm missing that circle clip to, glad you posted it up:thumbs:

Back to the top
Cheers Pete! Keep following man, should have some good updates this year  :wub:I have a photoshop I created as my desktop background to constantly give me an inspiration boost! Kinda justifies all the money I'm spending on it… ha.
Hows your Mk1 coming along? - just seen you've put a post update up, off to have a catch up! ha 

Back to the top
Some great work going on here, amazing attention to detail. Thanks for putting so many pictures up to, will help many people with there restorations, including me 👍🏼

Matt

Back to the top
 "I know, a piece of Ford is going on the Golf, blasphemy! But its ok, its a Bosch Item really".

Made me chuckle that chris .I know where to go for Braking advice with mine.

Regarding the SwDubs Meet not sure turning up in a  Vaux Coupe is the Done thing mate. :lol:

Back to the top
Great build mate! What exhaust manifold are using?

Back to the top
amazing work, hats off to you.

car is going to be better than new once its finished.

Back to the top
Cheers for the kind words guys. :thumbs: Simon, its a DUBpower S/S Manifold, looks very tidy and all the welds looks pretty spot on, but I cant comment on the fit yet. Hope this helps?

Been spending again, this time on the interior. Found a very lovely pair of front seats, Recaro LSC, but for some reason these versions have huge side bolsters compared to others I've seen. I have a feeling these are phase/version 1's of the LSC, but I cant seem to fully track them down. Either way, rad looking set of period Recaro front seats.

They are literally mint, only downside to them is the metal clips that hold on the diaphragms are abit corroded, but wont take much to take them off and sort them out. Will do that in the summer.

I always had the intention of re-trimming what ever seats I had to look similar to the original Golf tartan interior, but I don't really want to dick about with these Recaros as I know they're pretty rare and original and think they're too good to re-trim. I had bought some original looking tartan material a while ago for this but not sure this is the route I want to take anymore.

After buying the front seats it got me inspired to think about the rear bench. After decided the original Mk1 Golf bench looks too flat with no shape to it what so ever, I decided to look at other options. This bench came up on eBay and I ended up paying £6 for it, bargain! It's a Mk2 Scirocco rear bench, very similar size to the Mk1 Golf bench, but has a few subtle differences. Obviously the biggest difference is the appearance, they have a more bucket style shape, and make it look like a two seater rear bench. The back rest mounts differently to the original seat, I assume similar to a Mk2 Golf, but the base slots and fits in great, but again will have to play with the mounting points. Undecided how to tackle this at the moment, whether to weld in mounts for the Mk2 Rocco back rest, or swap the material and foam over to an original Mk1 rear back rest.

Obviously its a different pattern to the fronts, but that didn't bother me as I always planned on re-trimming the seats anyway.. but now tied between making it look like an original tartan bench or to re-trim it to the same material as the recaros? thoughts?

And a lil tease picture of my set of carbs I picked up the other day which I'm in the process of rebuilding. Paul at Finish Finale did an excellent job vapour blasting them, highly recommend him if you ever need some stuff to look brand new again. I wasn't 100%  with one part on them, but he's happily taken them back and sorting them out for me free of charge, excellent customer service and top bloke. :thumbup:

Back to the top
The bolt holding in the gear linkage is constantly prone for wearing and causing slack in the setup and you cant buy replacements bolts from VW anymore. More annoyingly they're an odd size at 28mm shoulder…so decided to tackle this with a new 30mm high grade shoulder bolt with the understanding I'd have to space it out 2mm.

New and old bolt -

Lengths -

Then with a spacer on the inside too to reduce play/wobble in the linkage -

This bolt is the same bolt on the bottom of the gear shifter to link it to the push rod, so done the same here too -

I got my carbs back from being vapour blasted but I didn't explain to Paul that I wasn't going to run filters on the front so he masked up the front thinking it wouldn't be seen so they ended up looking like this -

But gave him a quick call and popped up his shop today to get it rectified, but before I went up I dismantled the butterfly valves, spindles and bearings as they all needed to come out for me to replace the bearings on the sides.

Before I took my carbs to be blasted I wanted to replace the bearings in the throttle spindles. I left these in whilst being blasted first time round with the understanding I would replace them after. This is quite a delicate process and was quite worried about breaking bits as replacements parts are expensive; but I wanted to replace the bearings for piece of mind. After I got the carbs back I could see a bit of play in the spindle too so I'm happy I decided to replace them.

So first job is to remove the butterfly discs from the spindles -

But before you can get the spindle and bearings out you have to punch this pin through that holds the fuel pump arm in place on the spindle -

From all the articles I've read you're meant to just lube up these shell ends/heat them up and twist these around and off they pop… but I had zero luck with this so decided to just tap them out with the bearings.

In vice and put a nut on the end to not damage the threads when hitting with a soft hammer  -

Heating up the ends to loosen bearings -

And then tapped out, full of crud! -

Bearing was rusted…. wasnt going to last long like that -

All out -

Cleaning spindles -

Can see where the bearings have started to slacken and cause a ridge in the spindles from rubbing on the casing -

Cleaned bores -

Then time to head back up to Finish-Finale and see what Paul can do about my casings. As they were basically more stripped than they were before, he was able to just re-do the casings for me again whilst I waited, top bloke!

Dry Blasting -

Then in the vapour blast -

Then in the ultrasonic cleaner -

Then chucked in the over to bake -

Which leaves some very clean carbs and a very happy Chris

Much better

So then back home to spend the whole day rebuilding them.

I noticed once I have pressed one or two bearings in that they were instantly loose, so got some 603 Loctite (retaining compound) and pressed them in again, worked a treat.

Bearings pressed in -

Spindle and fuel pump lever in and bearing pressed in on the other side -

Pin in -

Then cleaned the butterfly valves -

And then inserted them into the spindles and screwed them back in with 2400 Loctite (blue) an also peened the back of the threads for safe measure -

And then after that point I didnt take anymore pictures and just built them back up, but i've explained all the harder stuff anyway :DBefore -

After -

Last edit: by Mk1_Golf_Chriz

Back to the top
Fairplay Chris. The updates are proper detailed words an Pic's.Im sensing  your enjoying the Process of it all with momentum.

Forgot to ask when i met you.Whats your Background if you dont mind me asking?
:thumbs: 

Back to the top
Love the recaros and rear bench.

Great write up on the carb reassembly too, I've got mine to do, so can follow your page as a guide  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Cheers Guys, and yeah loving the build so far! :DGra, I'm a photographer by trade but self taught mechanic in my own spare time. Service my own cars for years and always been obsessed with understanding machines and mechanics etc. Should of become an engineer really, but oh well! ha.

Ha, no worries Pazwaa, glad I can help! If you need any help with any of them give me a message :thumbs:Well, I finally picked up my engine from JMR. Will talk through all the details in another post.

Then with a help of a friend decided to place the engine in the car to figure out my wiring and plumbing.

Back to the top
Your engine is looking great 👍

What alternator bracket and belt have you used?

Matt

Back to the top
Cheers :D Its all a bit of a mix match of parts to be honest. The alternator and alt bracket are from a Mk3 Golf GTi 2L 8v (not 16v) which has the tension spring underneath, running a clutched alt pulley from a Mk4 Golf TDi, VR6 Water pump pulley, Mk4 1.8T crank pulley and a 6PK belt that fitted,..  odd huh?  :ninja:

Last edit: by Mk1_Golf_Chriz

Back to the top
Nice work mate. Having done a set of 40's I did go through the 'oh pants' moment with all the bits spread out in front of me!

I'm also using the same M/C as you, glad to see my thinking wasn't completely mis guided  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.