Skip navigation

Mk1 Golf 16v - Full Body Restoration - Insta chrisqgolf

Back to the top

Mk1 Golf Driver - 16V project

Lots of interesting top work going enjoying this👍

Back to the top
Looks smashing mate. Nice update. Keep up the good work :)

Back to the top
Cheers Guys, I couldn't resist and had to have a trial fit :D

Last edit: by Mk1_Golf_Chriz

Back to the top
Carbs looking good on the valver there.

Nice progress, like you say just finding the time.

I also brought a white mk1 driver when I was 17, still have it now but mars red;)

Back to the top
Haven't really done much if I'm being totally honest, painted up the water pump and fitted it. Also picked up a Mk3 Golf GTi alt and mount to replace the KR one as the mounting for the newer one sits a lot lower on the block, means I don't have to fab up some bracket to extend the original alt to clear the carbs. Also painted the cylinder head, was tied between black or silver but after many discussions about heat displacement etc etc decided to stay with silver.

Last edit: by Mk1_Golf_Chriz

Back to the top
Lookin good buddy :)

Click on the link below to see my mk1 16v project

http://vwgolfmk1.org.u…-16v-project#post_1081899

Back to the top
Well, holy post resurrection! ha… To be perfectly honest not a lot has happened to the actual golf it self since I last posted. I've just gone through my entire post and fixed all the broken image links.

But heres whats been going on since -

Yummy -

After a pressure wash -

Push rod seal out

Old guide out (which was loose  :shock: )

New guide going in

New push rod seal in

Getting input seal out

Placing the new seal in.

All together

New and old push rod

Push rod in

End cap off

Inside the end cap

New and old TO bearing

New TO Bearing in place

New end cap

Inspection Cap -

Selector Seal -

Starter Bush -

I also bought a new rebuilt Mk3 Golf GTi 8v Bosch starter motor

Back to the top

Got the drivers door off as its creased.

Then decided to take the dash out and found what looks like shells of some sort? Think it'll be best to check over my wiring just incase something did get munched on when the car was stored in the barn.

Which gave more room and access to this disaster to sort out at some point. Yawn

Also John finished my rocker cover, so put that back on the engine. Cheers John  :thumbup:

Back to the top
New shinny exhaust manifold  :twisted:

Back to the top
Keep ticking over -

Had to get the inserts of these engine mount out as there wasn't a press size available at the time. Not going to lie, took a while to take these inserts out, but got there in the end!

Epytec adapters -

So then found and bought some G60 Girling 54 calipers and carriers -

But just after I had bought them, and whilst they were still in the post to me, a set of S2 Girling 60 two pot callipers and carriers came up for-sale, which fortunately enough fit on the G60 adapters. So I ended buying them too…

Which I then rebuilt -

Most of the pistons were pitted and would of only of destroyed the square cut seal and leaked, so these were binned

This was a good time to try out electrolysis. Seen this on youtube a few times and thought about giving it a try. It's bloody brilliant!

They came out like this, all the rust literally just falls off

One of the carriers after a wire wheel

And both of them after a wire wheel

And then painted

And then the calipers

And after a wire wheel

But this is when I started having troubles. The bleed valves and brake line bolts were all shut solid. I managed after a very long time to get the 2 bleed valves out (which were corroded) and 1 brake line bolt, but theres always that one bolt that has to snap its head off :(

:evil: Hell! So out came the bolt extraction tools (I dont own a welder to weld another nut on top) Drill, hammer, chisel, blow torch and 2 full evenings.

and then finally!  8-)

Painted

Cleaned up the mounting bolts

New pistons and seal kit from BiggRed

Stainless steel bleed valves from HEL

But no one sells new slider pins for these brakes :( But the Mk1 Renault Laguna has the same size slider pins (from brakeparts.co.uk - Parts no. BCF1310BX2 for anyone that needs it)  :thumbup: Rad

So now was the time to put it all back together. New bleed valves in

Square cut seals in

Now time to put the pistons in and dust covers on.

Easiest way I found to do this was put the dust cover on the end of the piston first, then slide out the seal and seat it in the caliper bore hole, and then work the top in gently with a mini screw driver

[

All in

Now it was time to put the slider pins and dust covers on the carriers and build it all up

Back to the top
Nice work keep it up. ðŸ'

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6745 using Tapatalk

Back to the top
 I then befriended someone in SA who eventually shipped over a Golf Citi brake bar that came in the re-designed Mk1 golfs out there. It's basically the same design as the autocavan/fords of the same era. So instead of having a push rod, its a torsion rod.

The brake bar needed new bearings as one was seized and one was missing bar the casing. (Bearing code - GE8C, 8x16x8 -  if anyone else needs to do this)

Stripped it down to give to John to powder coat for me

Bearings out

New Bearings

Heres the only code on the brake bar if anyone needs it (probably a date stamp though)

Back to the top
So I've been back at it again with the electrolysis, this time with my front hubs, great lil rust removing tool. Annoyingly I couldn't remove the bolts that hold on the splash guard, I snapped a bolt remover off in one of them too, and tried to drill it out but it was just chewing up drills. So decided against running any splash guards on the front and went ahead with the refurbishment.

I cant seem to find a picture of them when I first got them, but again they were in a bit of a state, covered in rust. I took them to a garage to have the bearings pressed out and then got about refurbishing them. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking.

Back to the top
And then some Rear brakes I bought from Dan probably over a year ago or more. Again, all stripped down, and freshly painted with Biggred pistons, seal kit and HEL stainless steel bleed nipples. Annoyingly I snapped one of the circlips inside one of the bore holes to get the handbrake adjuster out, that took fricking ages to get out and then I could finally carry on rebuilding the calipers. So I bought new circlips. Then it was a matter of gathering all the bits and putting them back together. So transferred over the holder/threads from inside of the old pistons into the new pistons, with new seals. And then began to build the calipers back up. So adjusters back in with new end seals, and new square cut seals in. And then dust covers and pistons back in. I didnt have my rewind tool on me, but will just need them seating back in the bore and tightening up all the handbrake levers on the back left to do.

Back to the top
Spent this Sunday afternoon polishing my trumpets! …. ;)

They're nowhere near perfect as they're dented and rusted hard in the first place, but certainly much better than what they used to be -

I ordered some new S/S bolts for the casing (The ones in the pictures I bought at the wrong length :( ) and I'm also talking to some guys that are going to vapour blast the casings for me as I've decided against powder coating them, happy days.

Back to the top
Loving the carbs chris. Whats the latest with the engine ,Will there be any internal upgrade's still ?..

Gra :thumbs:

Back to the top
Hey Gra! Engine is still with JMR having the trigger wheel mounted and a VR mount made up… He's also made up an inlet manifold for me which needs just a bit more work to be right and to put in a vacuum for the brake servo. He's also sorting out some other ignition system parts - dizzy blank with coil mount, coil, HT leads and front water outlet.

Hows yours coming along? have you got a build thread on here?

Back to the top
nice work mate  :thumbs:

Flick r - Flickr: ErosUK's Photostream Insta g r a m - @MK1_TOBY

Back to the top
Got some wiring looms out I got ages ago as I wanted to make sure I had an internal GTi loom with the fuel pump wire. I had planned on removing my loom and putting in the GTi loom, but it soon came clear that the GTi loom I had was an early GTi loom so all the fuse board connections were wrong. Also after looking over it closely its seen better days and looks like it needs a bit of repairing in places. So with that in mind I decided to chop out the fuel pump wires with the intention of putting them on my current loom. Kinda feel bad about chopping up an early loom, but oh well, it is pretty f**ked to be fair.

Reminder to myself - Put fuel pump live to E/14

Back to the top
Fun day reading and marking wiring diagrams, but at least I now know what I can chop out and what I need to put in where   PS. ignore the table cloth  

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.