Skip navigation

mk1 golf series one rebuild

Back to the top

mk1 golf series one rebuild

No mate , mines only a year younger than yours but its in a right old state in comparison , im certain the chassis would bow if i put it on a rotisserie and started cutting the floors and rear leg sections out to strengthen it up .. Its rolled over onto two matresses for now but a roll over would be perfect when im at that satge !! Im putting a series one rear panel in swapping a roof and pretty much both floor pans .

Back to the top
alright g-dubber
have you got any pics of your, i put inner and outer sills on mine first then seamed a bit at a timeso it wouldnt flex. New sills didnt fit snuggly so had to chop top edge where door meets sil etc. if i was you just weld everything you need to do first then alter things when shell is solid. if you need any help pm me

Back to the top
where did you get the bumpers from?

Back to the top
I got a couple mate ill post em up , im a painter and prepper , i can panel beat just fine and weld happily but i like turning out paintwork the most . I will start a build thread on mine sometime soon hopefully - at the moment it would just be the same old photos of rot being cut up and holes being blown and plates being fabricated .
Thanks for the offer , i will defo ask some help with the wiring as im going to be going through the same motions as you have with hiding the looms etc .

Have you got the rear lamp fuel flap sorted ?? Thats soo trick mate fair play . Dont worry i wont copy your idea !! Have you also changed the way the spare wheel sits in the rear floor pan ??

Back to the top
Ignore the pattern wing , its a lump of trash thats ill fitting , I just used it as a test panel for my HOK paint

Back to the top

G-DUB said

I got a couple mate ill post em up , im a painter and prepper , i can panel beat just fine and weld happily but i like turning out paintwork the most . I will start a build thread on mine sometime soon hopefully - at the moment it would just be the same old photos of rot being cut up and holes being blown and plates being fabricated .
Thanks for the offer , i will defo ask some help with the wiring as im going to be going through the same motions as you have with hiding the looms etc .

Have you got the rear lamp fuel flap sorted ?? Thats soo trick mate fair play . Dont worry i wont copy your idea !! Have you also changed the way the spare wheel sits in the rear floor pan ??

good matey. this is my first time at restoring a car. never welded before and never painted. the fuel filler is all operational. took over 4 weeks to make it work and chopping 2 headlights to fit. i changed the layout of boot to hide all the pipework for fuel filler plus i have a few neat tricks why the wheel is sitting upright but ill be puttin pics on when finished. as for wiring ive run all light loom under arches, all other engine wiring runs under my custom engine round and under sump. best way to hide it all. so you painting metalic orange. im a fan of metalics but mines gone yellow for easier paint repairs from stone chips etc.

Back to the top
Top work then mate , thats pretty amazing for a first time .

So how does the rear lamp work is it hinged ??

Im also smoothing out the scuttle panel heater box and all the pipework etc what heater box are you using ? I was hoping to find a fully electric one to use , is the one your using totally water free ??

Back to the top

G-DUB said

Top work then mate , thats pretty amazing for a first time .

So how does the rear lamp work is it hinged ??

Im also smoothing out the scuttle panel heater box and all the pipework etc what heater box are you using ? I was hoping to find a fully electric one to use , is the one your using totally water free ??

cheers.
its hinged to the rear panel. i personally wudnt do it again because its a real pain to get to work correctly.if i was to relocate filler neck again i wud put it behind reg plate hinged upwards using a simular mech like a typ 25 reg plate holder. i aint puttin a heatr system in it now, just gonna use it for summer each year. cant see the point of usin all year round and wrecking all the work gone into it, which is over 2600 hours so far.
there are electric heaters from bmw convertibles which demist rear screen. ive heard of people using them before

Back to the top
I reckon the std heater box could be modified to take one of these in place of the water fed matrix easy enough

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-407-CITROEN-C6-INTERIOR-HEATER-ELECTRIC-HEATING-ELEMENT-4PUH-18K463-AF-/261035885486?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc6f383ae#ht_844wt_1037

it would then just be a case of lowering the blower fan as it wont be able to poke up through the scuttle panel any more - no fresh air feed of course so it would recycle the air in the car .. should be enough to demist and keep the toes warm tho !

Back to the top
you could do that, iv had a simular idea but iv decided to just leave the car without a heater. i have all my brake fluid pots where the old heater use to be.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Are you gonna be at e38 later this year ? will be good to see it in the flesh  8)

Back to the top

G-DUB said

Are you gonna be at e38 later this year ? will be good to see it in the flesh  8)
sure will be, should be all finished end of the month. fngers crossed

Back to the top
have a choice of steering wheels
wolfsberg one

or my bbs one

Back to the top
front window in

Back to the top
sump guard made out of 4mm steel

tail light pull switch to gain access to petrol filler

Back to the top
carpets in

all wired up and running

Back to the top

Back to the top
wow - just found this build.

hats off to you mate…. well played!

1980 Series 1 GTI (gone now .. what a mistake selling her!)
1979 Series 1 LD - the Mandarin Dragon … gone as well. oh dear.

Back to the top
Cracking work mate

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.