Skip navigation

Mars red 83 GTI AHN 502Y

Back to the top

Mars red 83 GTI AHN 502Y

A small update

I got some new G60 steelies from VW a couple of years ago (xmas present from the in-laws ;-)) which I intend to fit to my mk1 but I had heard that they suffer from rust quite badly (they are not lacquered). With this in mind I decided to lightly scotchbrite them to give the paint a key and my painter will give them a good lacquer cover to help protect them. It felt quite disconcerting scratching up a nice brand new set of wheels but needs must!

By the way I don’t usually live in a Sh*tehole the spare room is undergoing major work to turn it into a nursery for our 1st child due in November so it’s an ideal wheel refurb room at the moment! In between ripping skirting boards off, laying laminate and building cots I really need to have my car as a rolling shell with the engine in before November, fingers crossed!

I also finished off the master cylinder / brake bar assembly after finally working out how the spring went on…!

I Spent a lot of time at the AGM looking at folks tyre sizes (sorry about that!) and I’ve decided to go for some Toyo T1r’s in 195/45/15 which should suit the look I am going for. Not going crazy low on my KW coilovers – I want this car to work slightly better than the original at least that’s the idea. The only thing that concerns me is I have aimed to improve the handling – coilies & polybushed throughout,  the performance with 2.0 bottom end, 16v wur, audi TB, OMP Inox exhaust, 4 branch mani, K&N Filter and stopping power so far is ….standard. hmm….

In other news I have bought a Carcoon to house my creation when & if the shell ever gets painted. Unfortunately the dimensions given on the ebay advert were a little out I & I reckon I could fit two Mk1’s in it bumper to bumper! Great bit of kit mind just not sure how my long term storage facility is going to feel about my giant Marquee!

Mars red Tin top 83' gti in progress

Back to the top
Congrats on the new arrival dude!

Why the smaller choice of tyre? Original was 195/50/15 on a 15 inch wheel if you ask the cabby boys who have Mk1's that came with 15 inch wheels. Fills the arches a little better IMO, but its your car, each to there own and all that , just curious really…

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
Hi Joe,

Mate I have ummed and arred over this for quite some time. The pro's for the 45 profile is less chance of catching inside arches on full lock (?), I'm guessing a little less roll given the smaller / stiffer side walls? If somebody can tell me different I am all ears ;-)

I did see a white tin top with 50 profiles on g60's and it did look sweet & I get the filling the arches better opinion

Can you answer my concerns mate? :thumbs:  

Back to the top
Looking good matey. Many congrats on the impending arrival. Wave good bye to sleeping at night :lol:

Smudger

Back to the top
I'm used to sleepless nights chaps - mk1 gives me those  :$

Back to the top

Drapoon said

Hi Joe,

Mate I have ummed and arred over this for quite some time. The pro's for the 45 profile is less chance of catching inside arches on full lock (?), I'm guessing a little less roll given the smaller / stiffer side walls? If somebody can tell me different I am all ears ;-)

I did see a white tin top with 50 profiles on g60's and it did look sweet & I get the filling the arches better opinion

Can you answer my concerns mate? :thumbs:

tidymike said

Out of interest, what tyres are they? I'm on 195/45 15s and think the profile is a little on the low side…
 Cheers Mike, I asked you the same in your thread lol I came to the conclusion that 195/50/15 is the correct size tyre for a 15" 6.5J wheel. That is what all the Sportline Cabs run from the factory and seems to be what the majority of others run on 15's. A pic, you should be able to see the tyre size on the top of the tyre sidewall.

195/50/15

195/45/15

Borrowed off Vortex, if you read around there are people running 50 aspect ratio on cars that are virtually on the floor. In actual terms there is only 9.75mm of difference which is like running a bald 195/50/15 as a new tyre. However the issues you will have with rubbing won't disappear by making the aspect ratio smaller, the width will though, running 165/50/15 or 165/45/15 will tuck the tyre into the arch enough to stop rubbing. If you are into stretch. I personally think it looks cack but again each to there own!

I had to raise my car up as the sump on my 20vt is so low it was worrying me, I got under it recently and it has scrapes all over it, I will be swapping it for a steel variant but keeping the ride height where it is because a lowered car actually handles badly in comparison to a car where there is some suspension travel.

Hope that helps mate.

Thread for reference on Vortex:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4427203-Pic-specs-of-15s-on-Mk1-Golf-w-coilovers-please

Joe

Last edit: by Joe90k

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Cheers matey - great bit of info

Not planning to run mine like a hay burner just the usual 40mm (ish) drop so hopefully it should be ok?

Re. Stretched tyres I concur I think it looks cack & also don't fancy losing a tyre on a sharp bend all in the quest for "looks"

Back to the top
I believe g60's are 6j so scrubbing shouldn't be as much a problem as a 6.5j wheel which is the norm on 15" alloys?

Back to the top

Drapoon said

Cheers matey - great bit of info

Not planning to run mine like a hay burner just the usual 40mm (ish) drop so hopefully it should be ok?

Re. Stretched tyres I concur I think it looks cack & also don't fancy losing a tyre on a sharp bend all in the quest for "looks"

I believe g60's are 6j so scrubbing shouldn't be as much a problem as a 6.5j wheel which is the norm on 15" alloys?

40mm should give you no problems at all mate AFAIK.

6J will tuck nicely, 6.5 IMO is the limit without stretch. My tyres are very close to protruding the arches at the front because of the lack of arch spats.

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Cool mate - watch this space for when I finnaly get it on some boots!

Just checked blackcircles and this conversation has saved me a few quid too :thumbs:

Given the length of time my shell has been at the bodyshop should have just gone on a welding course & given it a go myself :$

Back to the top

Drapoon said

Cool mate - watch this space for when I finnaly get it on some boots!

Just checked blackcircles and this conversation has saved me a few quid too :thumbs:

Given the length of time my shell has been at the bodyshop should have just gone on a welding course & given it a go myself :$

Lower profile = +£££ lol

Will all be worth it in the end mate, if the guy is as good as you said he is I'm sure it will be mint. Your Mk5 was mint so I know your standards are high! lol

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Cheers dude :$

Mk5 still mint & looking to keep hold of it until the mk7 gti comes down in price, so that'll be another couple years.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
So I have a few more parts in place :thumbs:

I trial fitted the side engine mount and then trimmed the upper and lower timing cover cases to suit. I need to smooth the edges off a bit for a more factory look but all in all not bad I thought.

The engine mount bolts are long gone - I know they are M8 guessing hi tensile steel? Strangely skinny bolts but guess the mount does not take much load and was wondering if I would get away with A2 Stainless?

I have also had a few photo's sent through from the welding / painting. Slow progress but lower rear panel, rear chassis leg box sections and rear toe eye all now back in place

Back to the top
A few more progress photo's

The rear panel is now in and bootwell fitted along with sound deadening pads
The number plate light holes are rotten so having some plates fabricated to replace these.

Once last of the welding is done the underneath will be spray sealed and sprayed….mars red! woooohoo :thumbs:  

G60 Steels are now laquered to a nice gloss and wrapped in fresh yoko tyres. Will get a snap of those when I can

That's all for now :-)

Back to the top
 :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Looking great buddy. Keep up the good work.

Back to the top
Nice work. Is that some lead loading where the rear panel meets the rear quarter panel?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yes lead loading where possible to keep filler down to a light skim at most  :thumbs: loving the work too can see real progress now. 

Back to the top
Nice work ;)

Was it lead solder, or lead free - do you know? Was planning to use solder in that area on mine and don't know what the lead-free stuff works like

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
A good question Mr Hairy and one I will ask him when I see paint guy on friday. Will keep u posted

cheers

Martin  

Back to the top
Oh thanks Martin, that's good of you  :cool:

Cheers
Andy

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.