Skip navigation

Mars red 83 GTI AHN 502Y

Back to the top

Mars red 83 GTI AHN 502Y

Hi there,

I stripped the shell with it on axle stands. I then switched it over onto some dollys ( they are made by Clarke and will be for sale once I'm finished with them).
In reality 4 chaps can pick a shell up and put it on the back of a recovery truck so you could just arrange to use the blasters dollys if they have any.
The blaster I used is in grendon, northants. He is tucked away off the beaten track but very good.
All the underseal gets whipped off providing it isn't too rubbery otherwise it can prove difficult to remove.

Hope this helps

Mars red Tin top 83' gti in progress

Back to the top
looking good mate.

Back to the top
Hi all

Cleaned up the pistons on Monday evening - thought I was getting there, here's a photo.

And then an eventful evening in the garage last night….

A friend popped over to help strip down the block (I'm clueless when it comes to engine internals but learning a lot!)
It turns out my engine is knackered.
Basically the bearing shells show excessive wear, the pistons are scored on the edges. This engine looks like it's had a hard life & never had a rebuild.
My engine expert reckons this engine would have knocked a fair bit under load but when I bought the car it was a non-runner  requiring a new fuel pump & tank. I mackled a repair to see if it ran which it did for 30 seconds and then I set about stripping the car down.
I am now debating what to do, do I spunk a load of cash & get a machine shop to do the necessary work or do I find a freshly rebuilt dx which I can slot in or do go down the g60 route….?
The engine is original to the car and therefore matches but will this make a value difference in the future? I plan to keep this car forever so I guess it really does not matter…
Decisions, decisions.

Here's some photographs to keep the thread interesting!

Back to the top
2.0 8v is the way forward from here ;)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Is that a relatively easy conversion John?
I suppose there are plenty out there to choose from, is that an ABF?
Pretty clueless when it comes to enginve conversions if I am honest ;-(

Back to the top
2.0 8v is 2e, agg and ady from mk3 golf and other 90s vw/seat, or if you're lucky 3a short block from audi. pretty much drop in fit, you need to splice the block breather to rocker breather with t piece, then fit old dizzy using TSR dizzy adaptor with 2.0 dizzy gear swapped on. mk3 type blocks are taller so aftermarket 4 branch may have problems, oem mk1 gti downpipe will fit fine.

abf is the 2.0 16v block and takes a fair bit more effort, but well worth it ;)

Back to the top
ooooh ok food for thought …goes off to hunt ebay…
I take it you still have my loom John? I'm in no rush (as you can see!)

I'm awaiting a price for full rebuild from a local engineering place too

thanks

Martin

Back to the top
yup sure do, i actually dug it out the other day and started working my way thru it. captain bodger has been at it for sure :lol:

shouldnt take too much effort to fix it, do you want me to hold off though till you decide what engine you want to fit?

Back to the top
Yes please matey, legend

Captain bodger has sailed in this car many times before I took over the helm! starting to lose faith as everything I discover is totally wrecked.

Oh well I'm well & truely in it now so may aswell carry on…..

Back to the top
Well I've bought an AGG bottom end which looks in really good condition. Let the strip down commence!
Not sure If I use dx water pump or agg? If I use the agg one do I swap the pulley from the dx one over? Do I use agg sump or dx? Do I use the agg oil filter housing then plumb my oil cooler into that? Also which tinware do I use between block & clutch? Will either work?Questions questions. If there is a thorough build thread anybody can direct me to that would be muchly appreciated! I have looked :?

I'm booking my cylinder head in for a recon inc gas flowed and ported

For now I shall be cleaning up the block ready for paint - feels like I've done this before!

Back to the top
1. either, both pumps are the same

2. use the pulley matched to the alternator setup you use

3. you cant use the mk1 air oil cooler on the agg block, so sell that on. keep the agg oil cooler and mess about with the coolant pipes till it fits. alternatively you coudl fit an aftermarket oil cooler sandwich plate, but i wouldnt bother

4. use the agg tinware. its basically same as mk1 except the lower halfmoon bit is split so it can be removed when box is fitted, this means sump bolts are easier to get to. if this bit is missing look for late mk1, mk2 and mk3 in scrappy with 020 box to pinch it from

if possible use mk3 alternator setup, its way better. get early 1.8-2.0 mk3 with the massive spring under the alternator though! you need mk3 8v crank pulley if yours is missing this, then the shorter early alternator belt

Back to the top
Invaluable info - thanksJohn

Arrhh Sh*te - I don't have the AGG Oil cooler - so the dx radiator thing & pipes won't just plumb into the Agg Oil filter mount? Booger!

I am going to use the dx flywheel, new dx clutch & then original gearbox - shouldn't need any mods I hope?

I'm slowly getting there, apologise for the numpty questions :redfaced:

Back to the top
Well I've spent an afternoon at the wkend cleaning up my new (to me) 2.0 litre block.

Sump all cleaned out & just need to remove pistons & crankshaft now.

Somebody on the forum mentioned I could not run this block with a mechanical head & I need a hydraulic one - is this true?

I also had a good look at the 2.0 oil pump compared to the replacemnt one I bought for my dx and they seem identical apart from the plastic impeller - can somebody confirm this?

thanks

Martin

Back to the top
Excellent work, I enjoyed reading through :D

As for your pump if you sign up to VAGCAT, you can check the part numbers of the pumps, plus the site is super handy for part numbers, diagrams etc.

As for plastic parts, they used to be cast alloy or similar, but to save money they are plastic now, just doesn't last as long :roll:

Back to the top
Thanks for your reply chap

Certainly been a labour of love! - I've checked Vagcat and all the oil pumps have different part no's so still a bit stumped. I am just amazed it can be different as it looks identical!

Back to the top
I had a look on vagcat and;

AGG (based on 97 mk3) pump = 027115105G

DX (based on 82 mk1) pump = 027115105E

Only the letter on the ends differ, and they are for when a part number is revised (G being a newer revision than E). From what I've found quoting numbers from vagcat to VW, the part number is right, just the revision number is different because VW has up to date screens. Revision numbers usual come about form newer models using existing parts, and these parts being modified to fit other models as well.

I would say that yes they are the same.

Best bet would to be to ring VW and "enquire" on the price and availability, and then ask them what the revisions were and if it will fit?

Take a few measurements of the pump also, like length of drive shaft & diameter, and other parts to compare :wink:

Back to the top
Hello again - been a while since I updated this:$Turns out the pumps are different - so anybody need a dx oil pump?!

I thought it was about time for an update so here goes…….

I got the agg block painted then sent it off for a deep clean along with the pistons

I had the cylinders honed and bought new piston rings and big end bearings at the same time
Next up I re-painted the block to give it a shine back after the cleaning process dulled it a little and I have now started popping new seals into the lay shaft and crankshaft seals
I have re-built the water pump with a new pump and painted the housing and had the pulley powdercoated.
Also cleaned and painted the oil cooler
I also had a distributor made up (2.0 running gear with 1.8 dx top) which I am extremely happy with
Here’s the bits mocked up using my new stainless bolts for a bit of bling:

Back to the top
Looks nice mate. Some nice work there dude.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Hi folks a small update on my progress so far

I have been slowly getting bits cleaned and prepped ready for the engine build

I had the cylinder head and crankshaft dipped at a machine shop then I polished the crank by hand with some super fine polishing ribbon.

Thee cylinder head had a load of flakey paint left on it after the dip so I dremelled this all off and it now awaits a second dip at the machine shop.

Next I will paint the cyl head and put it all back together.
Picked up my freshly painted fuel Tank & filler neck – I bought these items brand new but the paint quality was in my opinion cr*p so I had a more lasting coat applied @ a local powdercoating firm
The powdercoaters “lost” my sump but fortunately they have just rang to say they found it!

Here’s the engine mocked up (yes stored in my dining room until I build her up with oil), the wife loves the new ornament…

I have also started to match port my inlet manifold with my audi 2.2 polished throttle body. I marked out the area to be cut then roughly chopped the required shape with my dremel. I tried using various grinding wheels on the dremel but didn’t work too well so I’ve resorted to an old fashioned curved hand file then I will polish up using the dremel – anybody got any tips on this at all as I am struggling by hand!

& last of all here is a photo my wife took on her phone the day I bought my Gti June 2011 – must have been a great moment for her!

Back to the top
Martin,

Did you buy my front and rear bumpers?

I'm in Ravesden if it was you and you remember.

Anyway, who are you getting to paint your car? Same people who blasted it?

What are they called and where are they based?

Need to find a good bodyshop near to Bedford, anyone else got any suggestions?

VW Polow 6N daily
Honda S2000 track toy
Ford Sierra Sapphire Cosworth 4x4 old skool cool
Yamaha YZF-R1 speed thrills
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.