Skip navigation

Mars red 83 GTI AHN 502Y

Back to the top

Mars red 83 GTI AHN 502Y

Hi chaps. Owned this for about 2 months now so thought I would start a project thread ;-)

The good:
I love the car already, it's the 'right one' in my eyes
Engine seems good and front and rear panels are ok.
Bonnet and tailgate also very good

The bad:

The car has not had an MOT since 2005 that I know of & clocks state 143k.
The oversills that have been put in are of terrible workmanship, as is the fuel filler panel (holes in the weld!)
The petrol tank is rotten as is the filler neck. I got it started with a new fuel pump so engine seems strong which is a bonus.
I've now stripped all the interior out (was missing a dash & rear bench when I bought the car) and now started on the engine.

I've bought a lot of bits which were missing - rear lights, dash, rear bench, badges, centre console etc etc
Also bought a wheel well as that's totally shot too
Looking at about 4k for welding body work and paint alone :roll:   

I have some pics which i will post later

I'll keep you updated for sure but this is going to be a long slow build but a proper nut & bolt one at that!

I'm stripping it down to bare shell ready for media blast, welding and paint which I hope to have done by late Autumn then it can be stored away as a rolling shell over winter as I restore all the other components

I think having it done for May next year so I can drive it on my wedding day may be optimistic!

Martin  8)

Mars red Tin top 83' gti in progress

Back to the top
Get some pics up!

I will give you a shout about tomorrow by text mate.

Joe

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
Here's a small update on my car.

It's been a tough couple of months stripping bits down and finally done! just in time to get the shell over to the media blaster and out of the elements.

List of panels needed are as follows!:
drivers wing
drivers rear outer arch
drivers rear chassis leg repair
wheel well (got)
scuttle panel (totally gone under windscreen seal)
front panel
lower rear valance
clutch /bulk head repair
2 new sills
So all in all quite a lot!

I have aquired most of the other parts to rebuild her now, still after an injection fuel tank as mine is rotten as a pear

So far I've bought

New fuel filler neck
new filler cap
New fuel pump
rear bench
All new replacement stickers inc Hella spot light decals
braided goodridge hoses
new golf ball gear knob and gaitor
new headlights
mint dash
Top of the range 1983 Pioneer tape deck ( not sure this was needed quite yet!)
new badges throughout
new rear brakes
new control arms
new wheel bearings throughout
new swage line clips
new expansion tank

Can't for the life of me insert photo's (if anyone can help pls do!) so here is a link to my photobucket acc., cheers

Photo and Video Storage | Photobucket

Back to the top
Hooray, another Mk1 to be saved!
Gotta love Mars Red too.

Inserting pictures:
Just copy the 'direct link' from Photobucket in to the pop-up box that you see when you click the little icon (looks like two mountains and a sun)…

Currently:

2003 Audi S3 (BAM) - Custom-Code Phase 1, Pipercross panel, Autobahn88 TIP, Forge 007p, Bilstein B8s & H&R springs, Brembo Max Grooved discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads and much more…FOR SALE!

1975 MG Midget 1500 - Stage Two+

Back to the top

Back to the top
My word ..... this was my old Mk1, sure looks very different now!!

Back to the top
Hi

What stage in it's colourful life did you have it fella?

Be good to hear of anymore history to the car particularly what engine work it's had done during your ownership

Look forward to hearing from you :)

Rest assured this poor ol' girl will live again despite hammering my bank balance :redfaced:

Back to the top
Weve spoken before mate, I'm the guy who had the thread on here for this car a couple of years ago, just with a new account is all. Good luck with her - theres a lot to be done but I for one would love to see her on the road again!

Back to the top
Small update:

Here are the latest pics after media blast - check out the drivers chassis leg - gulp!

Back to the top
It doesn't look too bad, once you get stuck in, it will be solid. How much was the media blasting? did they then primer it?

Back to the top
Hi fella,

got the repair section ordered through vw heritage already ;-)
media blast was £400 which included doors, tailgate, bonnet & another good condition spare wheel tub. My shell was done between an Aston db4 and an Austin healey- this guy is really good.

Laid a layer of primer on the shell too as part of the price- very happy.

Back to the top

Drapoon said

Hi fella,

got the repair section ordered through vw heritage already ;-)
media blast was £400 which included doors, tailgate, bonnet & another good condition spare wheel tub. My shell was done between an Aston db4 and an Austin healey- this guy is really good.

Laid a layer of primer on the shell too as part of the price- very happy.

that's cheap ……….i would be happy too……..acid dipping is for mugs like me :cry:

Back to the top
Paint man advised against dipping as blasting only reaches as far as paint spraying can and vice versa if that makes sense?
I'll inject wax to all the unreachable bits once it's all painted.

I would have dipped if I could afford the galvanising process after, that's big bucks ;-(

Back to the top

Drapoon said

Paint man advised against dipping as blasting only reaches as far as paint spraying can and vice versa if that makes sense?
I'll inject wax to all the unreachable bits once it's all painted.

I would have dipped if I could afford the galvanising process after, that's big bucks ;-(

I do know what you mean……once mine is back from the paint shop then its going to be heavy waxed in the best stuff i can find. I heard dinitrol is top stuff?

http://www.dinitrol.co.uk/?gclid=CIiaxvv07q0CFaEntAodaB4zsg

Back to the top
I did a bit of research and came to the same conclusions as you re. Dinitrol - looks like the stuff to use. Just had a read through your project, epic stuff :)

Whilst the shell is away with the welding fairies I'm concentrating on the rear beam rebuild and steering/suspension parts so I can get it to a rolling shell stage with some steering.

Got a big box ready for the powdercoaters (drum back plates, beam, rad cowling, brake carriers, front hubs , anti-roll bars and brackets etc - just got to get dispatch clearance with the boss :redfaced:  

Suspension wise the original setup is totally shot - springs snapped and shocks in poor condition so i'm looking at a kw 40mm lowering set up.
I have some kw coilovers on my mk5 golf and really happy with the quality. I'm not into lowering the car so it scrapes along the ground - I just want it to handle well.

Wheel wise I've aquired some new old stock g60 steelies I will wrap in some 45 profile maxxis or toyo's with a nice deep v pattern :)

I'll go down the 15" BBS route when funds allow in the future

Back to the top
the only down side to to dinitrol is that they don't make a clear wax….and with my car being nearly white, i don't fancy having brown wax on it, esp in the wheel archs and floor.

Back to the top
I thought it was time for a small update on my project, so here goes:

I had the rear beam, rear backing plates & anti roll bars shot blasted, primered and powdercoated. I then rebuilt the rear drums using a new kit from B&B components. The kit included new hand brake cables, brake pads, new drums, cylinders, springs and rear wheel bearings.
I then set about polybushing the rear axle mounts. It was a bit of a git to remove the old bush to say the least! I drilled many holes in the old bush. Installing the superpro bushes were a doddle in comparison. I also bought new bolts and washers. Some of which are still available from VW.

Next I fitted the anti roll bar with new stainless clips from Crazy Quiffs and Superpro polybushes.
I have now somehow managed to get the rear beam into the loft (which now looks like a vw parts shop!)  for safe-keeping until it's needed.

I then set about the front end. I bought new wishbones, bearings, bushes & tie rod & tie rod ends. I polybushed the freshly powdercoated front anti-roll bar. I had the new wishbones powdercoated for added durability. I then fitted polybushes & obtained new disc brake dust shields I re-furbed the steering rack  which included painting, polybushing & replacing any nuts for stainless. I also stripped, cleaned, painted and re-fitted new wheel bearings to the front hubs. I had the brake carriers powdered & painted the calipers.

My biggest purchase thus far has been a shiney new set of Kw basic coilovers which I've fitted new top mounts to and polybushed rear shock mounts. All mounting bolts have been replaced. I have had a set of kw variant 2's on my mk5 gti for a couple of years now & have been really impressed. Fingers crossed these are just as good.
I bought a new steering rack gaitor from crazy Q's, stripped steering rack & re-greaed so now everything us ready to make the golf a rolling shell with steering when paint is finished.

There was no getting around it - it was now time to tackle the engine….
I stripped and logged all the ancillary parts off the engine leaving me with a nasty, greaey, rusty block.  Then set about degreasing the engine & head after setting them on an engine stand.
I then removed, cam, followed by the head & stripped the valves out keeping a log of where they came from. Unfortunately I accidently dropped all the valve buckets out without logging them so will be having fun there!
The head is off being chemically dipped for a deep cleanse
I then spent hours de-crusting the block using various wire brushes on the end of a drill. I then degreased again followed by a few coats of white spirit to really rid the surface of any grease. I then applied Genolite rust treatment to the surface & allowed it to dry for a couple of days before spraying plastikote black woodburner paint (suitable for 700 deg) so should be ok! I've now painted sump in contrasting silver also.

I have purchased, a top end gasket set, new oil pump, water pump, thermostat & sump gasket so really coming along.
I had an unfortunate discovery when I was cleaning up my fuel pressure accumulator - there was a hole in it under the bracket assembly so now on the look-out for one in good condition. I've now got the stainless pump bracket & accumulator bracket again from good old crazy Q's

My poor shell.  It's been sat at the painters since January with still no progress. My painter has promised a start on it in July but then he has said that for every month since March. The trouble is good painters are hard to find & the best are always busy so you have to be patient. Full on welding & paint jobs tend to get pushed to the back whilst smaller jobs can be in & out. Arr well I will only be disappointed when I've run out of things to do my side of things, of which I still have plenty of work to do!
I am on the look-out for some rubber for my new old stock G60 steelies (195/45/15) if anyone has any recommendations…?  I keep hearing good reviews on Nankangs…
Most recent purchase is a new headlining kit form a member on here - cheers!
Next up is cleaning & painting the gearbox & also making a start on the brake lines

Thanks for reading my ramblings!

Martin

Back to the top
Project update: Gearbox almost ready for paint - 2 hours+ of wire brushing later!

Back to the top
A little more progress to show you

Brake calipers painted and carriers powdercoated

Gear linkages powdercoated / painted and bushes all re-newed

Master cylinder frame powdercoated and bolted back together

Back to the top
Hi
Where did you take the shell for blasting?
I assume it removes all of the under seal?

Finally how did you transport it, trailer?  I am thinking about getting mine done.

Cheers
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.