Skip navigation

Helios GTi Clipper to SUPER SMOOTH Kansas Beige Cali style

Back to the top

1989 GTi Clipper

The car is going to look lovely when it's finished, I love the red leather :thumbs:

I think leave the borbets on and paint only the centres red and have a polished lip :cool:

Cheers, Andy.

Back to the top
As we stand:

And I'd say I have at least another 25-30mm to come off the ride height:

Back to the top
Looking good buddy. Anymore plans for her other than the suspension drop or is that her finished after that?

Back to the top
Wow, what a transformation , looks stunning …. 

Instagram Firemandan1

Back to the top

smudger said

Looking good buddy. Anymore plans for her other than the suspension drop or is that her finished after that?

I want to get the underside cleaned and painted and any removable bits powder coated before lots of clear waxoyl or that water repellant stuff from the states, then it's onto the engine bay.

Defo going 20vT, if only for looks and the sound and want to get it to a show finish overall.

As it stands it looks very pretty from the outside and the interior is in decent nick, but the overall aim is to win some trophies!

Once all that's done I'm going to start work on a Caddy in the same finish, with the same details so the wife and I can have "his and hers" cars at shows. Very sad, I know…..

Back to the top
Love it mate, she beautiful!! :thumbs:Still think a polished lip on the borbets would bring the rest of the chrome-work out. That's just me tho.:cool:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Love it mate, she beautiful!! :thumbs:Still think a polished lip on the borbets would bring the rest of the chrome-work out. That's just me tho.:cool:

As it happens…. I'm speaking to a place that reckon they can powder coat, diamond polish the lip and dish and lacquer the lit for me. 

Back to the top
Sound good to me mate. You've done a cracking job with her!! :thumbs:

Back to the top
Oh, and I also had my bodyshop spray lacquer a set of clear rear lights for me which I have now fitted

Back to the top
Wow looking really nice mate.

How did you go about attaching the peep mirrors? I bought a set ages ago and have been scratching my head ever since!

E ;)

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

borednow said

Wow looking really nice mate.

How did you go about attaching the peep mirrors? I bought a set ages ago and have been scratching my head ever since!

E ;)

I had to reverse the mounting bracket and drill a new hole for the grub screw so that it sits into the A pillar gutter. Not ideal but does the job.

I'd quite like to replace it with a similar door mounted one but can't find any I like.

Back to the top
How did you get the roll bar uprights so shiny? 

P.s what an amazing transformation that is one sweet ride you should be proud of what you have achived 

Back to the top

bugs-gti said

How did you get the roll bar uprights so shiny? 

P.s what an amazing transformation that is one sweet ride you should be proud of what you have achived 

Cheers mate. It's not perfect, but hopefully will be by next summer!

I literally removed them and had them (as well as the window trims) painted gloss black :)

Back to the top
Ta for the info mate. That makes sense actually!

Have you tried Europa for mirrors? I got some for my Derby from these guys

http://www.europaspares.com/exterior-parts/exterior-mirrors.html

Cheers

E ;)

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Been a while since I updated this thread, so, what's happened since???

Well, firstly I decided I didn't like the red on beige so decided I wanted a slightly classier looking combination. In the end I had the wheels stripped and painted a medium silver. I also wanted to have the interior overhauled. I'll let the pics do the talking:

essentially, the list of changes are: wheels, new brown mohair roof and lining, new custom made tonneau, new carpets and mats, interior seats, dash, door cards, gear gaiter all trimmed in brown leather with cream stitching, new audio (just waiting on a retrosounds HU to complete. Oh, and new clear glass all round!

I'm basically going for an early 1970s theme throughout.

Thought and and comments welcomed. 

Back to the top
Looks spot on !!! Much prefer the new interior nice looking car 

Back to the top
Wow, love it. That interior is stunning.

Back to the top
This is probably one of the nicest interior re-trim in leather I have seen looks OEM rather than some which look very aftermarket.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top

RichardHall said

This is probably one of the nicest interior re-trim in leather I have seen looks OEM rather than some which look very aftermarket.

Cheers mate. That was the objective… To make the car look fresh off the production line in 1973.

Back to the top
Agreed. The interior looks absolutely beautiful and not only looks OEM but compliments the colour of the car as well. Nice work mate. 

Smudger. 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.