Skip navigation

Helios GTi Clipper to SUPER SMOOTH Kansas Beige Cali style

Back to the top

1989 GTi Clipper

Cheers guys. Can't wait to start thundering ahead now as it's starting to take shape!

This gives you an Idea of the metal shaved before rolling the arches for an extra 2" drop

Smooth tailgate

Smooth scuttle

Now needs flatting back once more before the first of 6 coats of Helios blue is applied

Back to the top
UPDATE: NEW WHEELS??

Ok, so I've been looking around at a few sets of different alloys, and as much as I'd love a set of BBS RMs, budget may be a slight issue!

So, the choices so far are….. roll on the current Borbet As, refurbished in a really bright, metallic silver or a set of AXE EX8 alloys in burgundy to match the red leather interior, in 15x8 fitment:

Back to the top
They could look awesome mate. How much are they?

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

They could look awesome mate. How much are they?

Only £350 a set excluding tyres! I'm not expecting them to be the best built/finished wheels but I thought they looked quite smart!

Back to the top
Double post fail.

Back to the top
They do look nice mate but I am not sure how they would sit on a MK1.

Back to the top

Talizman said

UPDATE: NEW WHEELS??

Sweet Dude,

That way you can hand over the Borbets to me ;)

E

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Ok guys, I thought it was probably about time I gave you an update on this project as it's now entering it's final stages of painting/detailing before being built back up!

I've completely changed my idea about how this will look when finished and have decided on a complete colour change to VW Kansas Beige!

So, work that has been carried out so far is as follows:

Front bumper smoothed and lower splitter painted gloss black.
Indicators relocated to insides of headlights in the single lamp grill giving a "US" feel. Smoked headlights.
All arches trimmed for extra lows
Side repeaters removed
Wing mirrors removed
Side strips now slim chrome items
Chrome door handles and filler cap
Rear bumper de-fogged and de-tow eyed
Custom lower rear splitter fitted to rear bumper
Tailgate smoothed and debadged
Rear number plate holder gloss black and crystal smoked rear lamps

Borbet's powder coated red and new Wolfburg badges
Suspension down another 20mm at the front

Interior - still got the full red leather but this will now be complimented by a full claret red carpet set and overmats. The parcel shelf will also be trimmed in the same carpet.

New tonneau cover which is being spray dyed same red as the leather.

And I think that is about it for now. I'll hold back on the pics for now until it starts to be built back up again…… Hold there :)

Back to the top
love the touch painting the red on the grill, looking forward to seeing this finished :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Sounds really interesting mate. Looking forward to the pics when shes ready :)

Back to the top
Some teaser pics as we stand:

Comments welcome :)

Back to the top
Looking good buddy. Anymore pics :):)

Back to the top
Cheers mate, got a few more pics of the whole car but without the roof, with steelies and all the trim missing it looks a bit sorry for itself :(

Back to the top
like the colour, bit different, cant wait to see it built and back together :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Think those rims above will look decent on there mate. Did you get them in the end?

Back to the top

smudger said

THink those rims above will look decent on there mate. Did you get them in the end?

Didn't get the ones above. Decided to have the Borbets refurbishished in the same finish though for the time being.

Back to the top
Ok mate, get some shots up when they're on. Interesting build going on here. :)

Back to the top
Car is now starting to take shape!

I've ordered a new bronze tinted windscreen which should be fitted in a week and in the meantime I need to start piecing things back together again!

Here is the car as it stands:

Also received my red carpet set last week and ordered extra so that I can trim the parcel shelf and boot:

Pick the wheels up from the powder coaters tomorrow, new tyres fitted saturday then on the car monday so we can set the arches in the right place!

From there it's a case of fitting the sound system wiring and tailgate release mechanism, carpets and interior back in, roof on then home for a good detail before being taken for it's MOT.

More pics coming soon ;)

Last edit: by Talizman

Back to the top
Looking good matey. The red carpet is going to look awesome. What rims have you gone for?

Back to the top

smudger said

Looking good matey. The red carpet is going to look awesome. What rims have you gone for?

Cheers mate :)

Sticking with the Borbets in red for now, but still need to decide on whether I go for the AXE wheels above or whether I do something a little different for the future ;)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.