Skip navigation

Suggestions on how we can improve the show?

Back to the top

Suggestions on how we can improve the show?

Did not see anyone look at my car , i was in the best daily drive was told that would be the best one to go in as some people said to me  it is who you no. is this true ?

Back to the top

Re: VOTING ?

A5OPY said

Swallowtail_uk said

Hi guys, overall a great show….some very nice mk1s..one thing bugged me a little…

The "show n shine contenders" should be the "ONLY" ones voting for "BOTH" standard and custom vehicles……(just felt like if you knew the right people on here then judging wasn't fair) - and I didn't even have a car to show…also the "voting slip" should NOT be handed out so freely……..i had 4 slips in total handed to me……

just a thought….

Otherwise……well done to everyone who took part.

Bob

The judging for the standard cars are judged by people who undoubtedly are experts with years of experience and know what on a car is standard and what isn't.
where as general Mk1 enthusiasts don't have this in depth knowledge of what is "Standard".

it is only fair that it should be general members who decided which is the best modified as there are no rules to follow when modifying a car and its down to the person doing the modification to make it how they feel it should be

I would imagine if one of the judges read your comment ……(just felt like if you knew the right people on here then judging wasn't fair) they will be very upset as i know they try very hard to make sure every car is judged on its merits and not by who its owners are.

it could well be that the same cars win at different shows with different judges it just so happens that they are the best plain and simple and because the judges know what to look for many folks could think that another "standard" car was better just because it looked better even though the judges had spotted small non standard parts on the car which the average member would never know they are not a standard parts, if my memory serves me right judges start off with 100 points and deduct points for every none standard or damaged or corroded, dirty part of the car they find

So even what would be considered by many to be "mint" may come in with 70 point out of 100 due to perhaps no standard radio, body panels or exhaust systems etc etc

Standard cars can only ever be truly judged by people who know what they are looking at and for, its as simple as that.

you point about the voting slips being handed out to freely is a good point and will be looked into.

How about a voting poll? see what the response is to…

Q: Do you think that both standard and custom cars at the AGM should be voted/judge by others taking part in the contest itself or by picked judges?

I would imagine if one of the judges read your comment ……(just felt like if you knew the right people on here then judging wasn't fair) they will be very upset as i know they try very hard to make sure every car is judged on its merits and not by who its owners are.

not trying to upset anyone,…….just making a point in what i saw and heard:

Expert Judge - "have you changed anything to your car from last year?"
Owner - "no -not really"
Expert Judge -  "ahhh ok then" …….(expert judge walks way to next car)
Owner car wins the category.

Is that fair? …….is that how to judge a car?  :dontknow:

Back to the top

daistew said

Did not see anyone look at my car , i was in the best daily drive was told that would be the best one to go in as some people said to me  it is who you no. is this true ?

THIS IS WELL INTERESTING!!!!!

please read my post below yours.

Back to the top
I sat there all day no one asket me anything the car next to me one second prize i asket him if any one had looket at his car and he told me no so how did they judge the cars

Back to the top

daistew said

I sat there all day no one asket me anything the car next to me one second prize i asket him if any one had looket at his car and he told me no so how did they judge the cars

AGAIN INTERESTING POINT!..would you have liked to judge both categories, seeing you were taking part in the contest?

Back to the top
would have liket for some one just to look at my car and asket me things on it  but there we go  if that is how they run the show.  got to say did have a great time well done to all

Back to the top

award for best build thread?

I think there should be an award for best forum build thread too…….an award that recognise the hard work an individual puts in to there car……"this doesn't need to be a show car nor does it need to be genuine parts" and voted on the site before the show…..i think its a nice touch….

Back to the top
Think we need an area set aside for cars not entered in the show and shine like was done at coombe abbey.  All cars wanting to be judged went into one area and all other mk1s were moved to a area next to it all lined up.  Theres some really interesting cars with trick little bits etc, would be nice to see them all together, not scattered randomly across a field

Also seconded the marquee idea - the party at coombe seemed to be much more up for it than the last two at uttoxeter - maybe the venue is a little too big for how many turn up to the party, meaning they seemed to cluster into their own little groups around the edge?  Plus with added bonus of not being near the caravans!!! :lol:

Back to the top
Yep get all the show and shine guys all together but then organise for all the other cars in the camping field to be moved over too as there was still loads of mk1's scatterd all over the shop.

Maybe no fancy dress just a really easy theme as the disco bit was quite empty dont know if thats just the reason but may have put some off, at coombe the dance tent was packed.

Oh and just a better place to drive to on the rally

So nowt major wrong at all just a few fine tweeks maybe, well done to the organisors tho must be hard to do thankyou all for a good show

It dunt fit

Back to the top
not trying to upset anyone,…….just making a point in what i saw and heard:

Expert Judge - "have you changed anything to your car from last year?"
Owner - "no -not really"
Expert Judge - "ahhh ok then" …….(expert judge walks way to next car)
Owner car wins the category.

Is that fair? …….is that how to judge a car? No idea!

that not how the car was judge that was just a question that was asked!

and it's not who you know!!! and i think alot of people would be upset in that comment, everything was done fairly

think there should be a thread started on how you would like to improve the show and shine esle this one will get bogged down with this

i think last year the judges had to judge over 80 cars as so many people entered their motor, this year was done differently with a voting system on some catorgories

so if this needs to be improved let stick it in a different thread :)

Banner

Back to the top
I thought the public voting system was the fairest way of doing things and opened it wide open, as far as the standard class goes who better to judge than the experts. Well done experts  :D For all those who think it is all about "who you know", you best not go to Deva. It is not about the winning, it is the taking part  :D

1989 MK1 Golf Clipper
1999 Ford Cougar 2.5 v6 (soon the nightmare will be over and car gone)

Back to the top
Rather than use the title 'Golf Mk1 AGM', which sounds a little formal, maybe we could come up with a flashier name for the weekend?

Back to the top
considering its the annnual general meeting for this club i think it would be silly to call it anything else .. unless we use

mash up at the racecourse lol

Back to the top
The Mk1 Golf Grand National :D

Banner

Back to the top
More cars should have been allowed into the show & shine area.

There was loads of space there and far to many cars parked out of the way on the grass which meant they proberly didnt get looked at much.

Back to the top

BigM said

Rather than use the title 'Golf Mk1 AGM', which sounds a little formal, maybe we could come up with a flashier name for the weekend?

It is called the "mk1 Golf annual gathering" the AGM is just the Saturday.

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
I would like to see all the Mk 1s together with the ones for judgeing in a section near to them rather than being spread too far from each other.There were too many mk 1s away from the main part and mixed with "other" cars.

Back to the top

andybury said

I would like to see all the Mk 1s together with the ones for judgeing in a section near to them rather than being spread too far from each other.There were too many mk 1s away from the main part and mixed with "other" cars.

I think that would be covered by the "MK1's not being judged" section, the "Other VAG" section and a "anything else" section…. which is a good idea…

Show & shine in the tarmac area, mk1's not being judged on the grass just past the traders, other vag sectioned off behind that and anything else behind that  :dontknow:

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

andybury said

I think that would be covered by the "MK1's not being judged" section, the "Other VAG" section and a "anything else" section…. which is a good idea…

Show & shine in the tarmac area, mk1's not being judged on the grass just past the traders, other vag sectioned off behind that and anything else behind that  :dontknow:
Youve put it bang on there totally agree

Back to the top

BigNormRivage said

More cars should have been allowed into the show & shine area.

There was loads of space there and far to many cars parked out of the way on the grass which meant they proberly didnt get looked at much.

The reason we kept the numbers down on the tarmac area and kept it just to show and shine is because last year the car park was full and I mean full I had 1 spare place left the cars where all mixed so the judges spent 5 hrs judging which was unfair.
this year it took way less than this.

we will re organise the cars next year so there are all Mk1s parked together and other cars parked elsewhere.

I met with Dano the manager of the race course and we have organised a better room for the party well away from the Caravan Club where we can party till 1am we are unable to have a marquee as there is no power further up the field and there are private houses that boarder the track.

the judging is fair and always has been.

Swallowtail_uk pay your membership and next year you could put yourself forward as a judge….

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.