Skip navigation

My mk1 - ex Impact/Dubsport car

Back to the top

My mk1 - ex Impact/Dubsport car

very very nice, great improvements, hope you make the AGM this year, be nice to see this in the flesh :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
hi do still have the 16 hr alloys wheel ??

Back to the top
Thanks guys. I'd love to have it on the road for the AGM but I doubt it'll be ready by then.

vwdaro - sorry the car only came on the Borbet BS wheels (the 16's were Brock alloys)

Back to the top
Nice to see this car on here again, it was one of the first mk1 i remember seeing, was local to me, first time i see it was in the 90s, still looks good now

Mars red 1982 16v KR Conversion!

View topic: My 1982 16v - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
I love the colour mate, good progress too, keep up the good work! :thumbs:

Back to the top
I've not made a load of progress with this lately but  thought I'd post up what I have.
I've had some more parts powder coated (including the charger) and started stripping the engine back in preparation to painting the block etc.
Here's the progress photos

And I've bought a set of Oz Turbos. They're low offset, 2 x 7" wide ET 15 and 2 x 7.5" ET 8/9. I've split them and have taken them to get the centres painted body coloured and the barrels in Gun metal the same as the alternator, rocker cover etc. Hopefully they will look ok like this and it'll save on polishing etc.

Back to the top
Looking good buddy. The rims look smashing. The engine bay is going to shine when it's all complete. Good luck getting it finished :)

Back to the top
Excellent work!

Good to see the thread evolve like this;)

Back to the top
Love this car…..it has reminded me how much I like the 90's look! May be a silly question but what prep did you have to do pre powder coating? Want to get a load of my engine bay stuff done but not sure on what to expect the powder coasting company to do?

Thanks

Back to the top
Cheers guys, I just wish I had the money behind me to get it finished quicker instead of just chipping away a little bit every month.

Half the reason I bought the car was because I love the 90's look. In my opinion there are too many later cars trying to be older cars at the moment. You cant beat a nice set of pirelli style bumpers.

As for the powder coating. Most parts were dirty and rusty but the guy I used blasts them first before the coating. The only thing with powder coating is that you cant coat anything with rubber/ perishable parts because the heat they use to bake the parts will ruin them.
Also you'll find its best to give them a box full of bits because if you just give them single items you'll end up paying much more per part.

Back to the top
Thanks for that. one more question did you have to take the alternator apart to have done and did you have to mask stuff up for them? I think the transporter wing vent is nearly retro!

Back to the top
Yeah I split the alternator and just gave him the outer casings  (you can see them in the photo of the coated bits on page 1) and then I've painted the stator myself body coloured.

I've had to clean the treads out with a tap afterward but that's no big deal.

Back to the top
Very cool stuff going on here

Will be watching with interest

E ;)

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Sorry that this isnt much of an update and its another post of a part and not the car but I least its progress.
The charger is now built up thanks to Matt at OCD.

And I've had a delivery of new stainless bolts from Felgenfuch.de

The wheels are being painted this week and hopefully should assembled fairly soon too. Just need to buy some tyres next….
Quick edit.
Picked the wheels up this morning. They were either going to look really good or terrible and I've got to say I'm really happy with them.

Last edit: by MR_LONG

Back to the top
Nice couple of pics mate. The charger looks mint  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:

Back to the top
I'll hold judgement on the wheels until they are on the car I think…

Good news is though, at ET15, you should be able to wind the spring seats on the coilovers down past the tyres without any worries to get the car sitting as you want it.
 :thumbs:

Back to the top
How low can you go?

:lol:  :lol:  ;)

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

I'll hold judgement on the wheels until they are on the car I think…

I'll agree with that. It will be a while before the go on the car but hopefully they'll look ok. Half the reason I did them like that was because it saved buying new dishes so kept things a little more budget.

Thanks smudger   :thumbs:  I dont think I want to go that extreme  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
She'll sit beautfiully when she's done mate  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
nice :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.