golf1980's 1980 golf driver G60

love the engine bay dressing.

Back to the top
Awesome looking bay!!

Back to the top
nice mate very nice

83 MK1 GTI G60 85 MK2 GTI 20VT 2004 SEAT ALTEA 2.0 TDI SPORT

Back to the top
had a good look round this at dc12 yesterday. looks sweet as mate! love the carbon bits, rocker cover especially!!!  :)

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
Thanks for your kind words guys. I'm very pleased with the bay. Still got a few things left to do to it. Needs an oils swap definitely. I also need to start thinking more about wheels and ride height.

Richievr, I had a good look round yours too( quietly though as I didn't want to disturb the lady resting in the passengers seat). Very nice mate. I have a soft spot for a nice red mk1 for some reason! lol. Did you pick up a prize?

Back to the top
Lolz, power nap time! :-)  
And yes mate, i did  8O  3rd place mk1. Well surprised and chuffed!

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top
i thought you did :) well done mate. well deserved. it is a very nice car you have. 1st and 2nd place cars were amazing too! i couldn't stop looking at them. so many top class cars on show.
sorry i missed you. i would have liked to have had a chat. a pic that you took is on the 1st page of this thread!(sorry, i stole it. it is a good pic).

Back to the top
Thanks man, and steal away, no probs there! :-)

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top
Had to get towed home on the way home from work today :( horrible knocking coming from the supercharger :(

Back to the top
oh dear!! :(

Banner

Back to the top

golf1980 said

Had to get towed home on the way home from work today :( horrible knocking coming from the supercharger :(

Oh no mate :-(

Not something you want to hear from a G60 - I hope the internals have not damaged your engine.
The charger will be toast though.
You can get a shorter belt if you need to run the car without the charger - low power but it will get you around.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
i pulled over as soon as i heard a noise. i thought the arch liner had come loose and was rubbung on the wheel at first, then i thought it could be a gear box thing but it did it even with the clutch down.

not sure what to do now. agm and germany trip coming up fast! the car was booked in to the garage tomorrow morning. the car has only done 700 miles since the rebuild.

i have the trusty old santana to get me about for now.

the charger was brand new basically. stage 5 ported and reconditioned. no warrenty though as G werks is no more. i would have thought it would have lasted more than 700 miles though :( 600 od quid gone like that.

Back to the top
have you had the charger off and split it ? normally when the chargers go they go with a bang and put a hole in them

Back to the top
Oh really? It was just a nasty knocking noise. I haven't taken it off yet. I just assumed it was dead. Should I get on it and open it up?

Back to the top
yeah it wont hurt it there are only a few allen bolts holding the two halfs together you can then check if the scroll has taken on any damage.cant see why it would be knocking unless the balance shaft isnt timed up correctly.when it's off take the little belt cover off and see if the 2 dots are alligned on the cogs.

Back to the top
i would also try disconnecting the aux belt just to eliminate it is the charger and not the crank knocking.

Back to the top
Yeah I did wonder if it could be the crank. That would be bad wouldn't it? It has been lighted and balanced too. I'll have a look tomorrow. Will I have to get a shorter belt to check the engine without the charger on?

Back to the top
nah you can run it without for a minute or so before it gets to hot.

Back to the top
Good to know. Thanks for your help mate. I'll let you know how I get on

Back to the top
O my, not been on in ages, exact how mine will be looking,

hope the bad news can be rectified, looks fantastic tho
There are too many online users to list.