Skip navigation

HotTunning coilovers - far too hard

Back to the top

HotTunning coilovers - far too hard

Resurecting this, one last time before I get the new suspension fitted…

Had the back wheels off the car last night and noticed the lower spring on the coilovers were fully compressed! Is this normal, also the 2 spinny-adjustable-bits (technical term) were tight together under the compressed spring. I couldn't find my C-spanner (typical) last night so couldn't adjust but am I right in thinking if I screw these 2 bits DOWN and decompress the small spring it will RAISE the car and SOFTEN the ride?

- adm

Back to the top
The spring seats DON'T compress the spring. The weight of the car does. The smaller spring should be fully compresses when the weight of the car is on the wheels, and might even be when its not, its a helper spring not the main one and is simply there to take up the slack, if any.

Back to the top
hmm, so which bit do I adjust? the single ring just ABOVE this smaller spring?

Yeh the car was off the ground at the time and they were fully compressed.

- adm

Back to the top
Did you have both sides of the car off the ground?

Both the adjusters should be locked together to prevent them moving.

I suspect you have the coils wound up towards maximum running height, hence the copression of the helper spring. the bit inbetween the springs is just a seating plate, not adjustable.

If you unwind the spring plates to release the helpers the car will go lower, but may get some degree of movement in the spring, it sounds like they may be under pressure all the time.

How far from the bottom of the shock are your spring plates ( two spinny things )

I think mine are about 2" from the bottom of the threads.

Like I have said, I really don't think the ones on mine are the worst ride quality, it's firm but  not bone crunching!

Can you get some pics?

Projekt Frustration :

White 1991 Clipper. Lowered over polished zender rims, Single 40 dellorto on lynx manifold, kent cam, full stainless 'zorst / manifold, powerflex bushed and braced. Not the fastest car, but sounds super nice!

Still going after 12 years… never said it was a quick fix! Time is not my friend.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.