Skip navigation

82 Cabriolet S3 TFSI TSR conversion (wide arched)

Back to the top

82 Cabriolet S3 TFSI TSR conversion

I've been cracking on with the door cards over the past few days and don't think I've done too bad for a first attempt using a router and fibreglass.
  The first card i've made up is the one that has the filler on it. I know it's not the best but it was a first attempt and i got better on the second as seen in the pictures.
  I've only managed to get the first layer of fibreglass onto the second car at the moment as i've ran out of resin :(  When i get the resin i'll crack on and get it finished. I've also got to put some more filler on the first card and level it out a bit better.
  The cards are off to the trimmers in April so should look a lot better once trimmed :)
On the first card I countersunk the plastic lugs and they went into the door holes perfectly. When I went to pull them out the new lugs were so stiff that they ripped straight through the ply , so I have got to fill over the holes i made on the first card.  
 I am thinking of using 3M dual lock on the cards and doors so that the cards are still removable without having to screw into the doors but I need to see how thick the two pieces will be once stuck onto the door.

Back to the top
Got the two door cards sorted out now and tidied up the first card as well. Don't think i've done too bad for a first attempt :)
  Stripped down my doors as well so that i could get the chrome trim off and polished up.

Back to the top
Been up to the body shop again today to see the test panel colour :)  Think it looks quite decent and shines really nice when the sun hits it.
  The 6n2 dash is also being fitted as well and the car should be finished in about 3 weeks.  I have also took the seats and door cards up to be trimmed today and should be ready for about 3 weeks time as well.

Back to the top
any engine in the bay pics?

Back to the top
looking good :-)

Back to the top
Cheers PNE !!  

No engine shots yet as the car is still at the body shop waiting to get finished off.  Once it goes down to TSR I'll get them to send me some progress shots.

Back to the top
I'm just waiting on the car to be finished at the body shop and am a bit bored as the seats are at the trimmers the bumpers are getting re-chromed with the the chrome trim , so just had a look in the cupboard to see if I can crack on with anything.
  I bought some dials from speed hut in the states last year sometime and with the 6n2 dash going in I was wondering on how to fit the dials in place of the originals ? I thought of putting some perspex in  and mounting the dials to that , but after getting the dials out to look at them and getting the originals I wondered if they'd somehow fit into the originals.  I managed to remove the clear perspex from the dials and by ding this they fit perfect  :D
  Really happy at the outcome !!! what do you think ?

Ad.

Back to the top
NICE work being done there,what gearbox are you going to use?golf mk5 gti box jlw?

Back to the top
A 5 speed box is going in but not sure which box ? Was going to have the 6 speed fitted but TSR said it would be a fair whack more over the 5 speed due to needing custom drive shafts and other bits and pieces.

Back to the top
im going for a 6 speed box,what 5 speed gearbox code are they using?.would be nice to see yours when its done.which s3 engine code have you got?. i will be fitting mine in the next month or so.also im not to far from you.pop down mine if you are ever come my way and have a look at mine.

Back to the top
Not sure on any codes yet , I'll find in the week and let you know. I asked TSR to do the conversion and they said that they had an s3 tfsi that has only covered a 1000 miles that somebody had planned to have converted but couldn't due to his Mrs falling pregnant and not having funds.  They bought the engine from him and planned to do a conversion themselves to one of their own cars, until I called up :)

Back to the top
Not long now till the car goes to TSR !! Paint on :)

Back to the top
Had some bad news on Monday about the car as was told that the dash didn't fit into the car due to the front reinforcer being in the way and that there was no way around it without removing the reinforcer :(
  I really liked the look of the dash in the car but have had to put the standard dash back in for the time being.  I also was told that my door cards had warped as well and that the trimmer hadn't trimmed them. I'll find out some more info on these on Monday.
  On the plus side the car has been painted and i'm really happy with the colour  :D  when the sun hits it , it looks amazing !!  body shop have run over by a few days , so instead of taking the car to TSR yesterday i'll now be taking it this Thursday coming.
  What do you guys think of the colour ?

Bag.

Back to the top
Wow. Stunning colour. I love it!

Mk1 Gti Cabby project on the go! Detailed engine, roof off, leather interior, 16's, painted, now getting put back together!

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=103263&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Back to the top
Love the colour, it's going to look amazing!

Back to the top
Great colour, im glad the stock dash is going in.nothing beats them

Back to the top
That colour is awesome bud looking forward to seeing bay done in this :)

MK1 Cabby '90 R.I.P

'83 tin top gti

Back to the top
It is a really good colour I stoped in to see tom on Friday. Getting mine done there.

Back to the top
Cheers guys !!

Yeah Tom and Pete are top guys !! really happy with the work that they've done so far.

What are you having done to your car Si ?

Back to the top
Tom did all the welding for me last year and did a great job.
I'm having it sprayed later this year in a primer grey colour.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.