Skip navigation

1.8 8v turbo technics HELLLLLLLP please

Back to the top

1.8 8v turbo technics HELLLLLLLP please

hi all, hoping someone can help as i'm getting nowhere fast.
i've recently purchased an 83 tintop 1.8 8v with a large turbo strapped to it :)
i bought the car with an apparant poor idle fault which i didn't think would be too hard to sort
upon getting the car back to my workshop i found it had a massive split in a boost pipe, new pipe on problem solved car runs mint and idles perfect, now this is where the headache starts, i can't seem to find any info at all on base settings such as ignition timing, boost pressure, fuelling ect…
the car runs perfect up to the point of boost then coughs farts pinks and holds back, so i'd really appreciate it if someone with some background knowlege on this 80's conversion could help me out, ta :)

Back to the top
Has it got the original Turbo Technics Plate some where under the bonnet as this will have all the settings on, ignition timing etc.

Mk1 Lahsa green, BBS RM, Mk1 Silver Campaign, Mk5 GT TDi, Audi A4 Avant S Line

Back to the top
it's not an original turbo technics, apparantly the engine was from a mk2 and that's all the info i got from the previous owner.
any help would be appreciated

Back to the top
I will PM you the info from my plate in the morning.

Back to the top
Here's what's on mine,

Kit Type VW9
Turbo TT60
Plug Type NGK PP7EV
Gap 0.75mm
Ign, 28 Deg BTDC @ 4000rpm

Hope that helps

Back to the top
cheers guys, i need to start with the basics as i've no idea what's been played about with, i don't think i got the full story from the previous owner.
is there any way i can find out if the distributor and vac unit are correct bacause they both look standard gti to me, the metering head looks non vag  ie ford rs turbo or volvo turbo, i had to change the plugs coz they were wrong, some warm up reg details would be good as would fuel pressures.
i know i sound like a clueless pain in the arse but there's nothing worse than sorting out other people's failed attempts when you've just bought a car that doesn't have any history to it whatsoever

Back to the top

dmark said

there's nothing worse than sorting out other people's failed attempts when you've just bought a car that doesn't have any history to it whatsoever

Thats the nature of Mk1 Golfs though, or for any older/modified car really.

Back to the top
could be that the boost hose was split for a reason ie not letting you drive it as it could be a non turbo engine that someones tried to make a turbo

without any history id be worried

Back to the top
could be that the boost hose was split for a reason ie not letting you drive it as it could be a non turbo engine that someones tried to make a turbo

without any history id be worried

Back to the top

Stupidog said

Here's what's on mine,

Kit Type VW9
Turbo TT60
Plug Type NGK PP7EV
Gap 0.75mm
Ign, 28 Deg BTDC @ 4000rpm

Hope that helps

Yep, got the same but The Plugs are BP7 ES.

Have you got a pic of the setup that you could put up here.

stupiddog is yours an original mk1 conversion or taken from a mk2.
Im trying to figuare out how relavant the VW and Turbo Numbers are.
Mine is VW5 and TT049

Back to the top
right just had a quick look at mine again it's a TT034 with NGK iridium bkr8eix plugs.
pics to follow shortly

Back to the top

dmark said

right just had a quick look at mine again it's a TT034 with NGK iridium bkr8eix plugs.
pics to follow shortly

Are they the plugs that it states on the plate or what you are running?

Back to the top
While not particularly relevant to your problems have you seen the posts from MOTHA over on club gti about his adventures turboing the mk1 8v engine whilst retaining k-jet, quite interesting i thought.

Back to the top
hi mk1turbo as i said i don't have a plate with any settings on, the plugs are just what ngk recommended for the setup

Back to the top

dmark said

hi mk1turbo as i said i don't have a plate with any settings on, the plugs are just what ngk recommended for the setup

Sorry. Where did you get the TT034 then? Can you shed some light on what this number is?
Strange NGK didnt recommend the plugs that tt specify or have you been recommended these as you cant get BP7 ES anymore.

Back to the top
i found the tt number on the plate on the inlet side of the turbo, as for the plugs i called ngk dierct as i was unsure what plugs were supposed to be in it and that's what they recommended seen as though i've got no info on what plugs/other settings i thought that was what should be in it, do you know if the plugs that are in yours are still available?
i've had a closer look at the fuelling system today and found that it's recently had a filler neck so i've had a look in the tank and low and behold shite loads of rust and other crap not to mention the fact that the injectors are stuck open to the point where everytime you operate the fuel pump the injectors just pour fuel in without the car running so i'm presuming the metering head is also knackered.
do you know if the injectors and metering head and fuel pump are just standard gti on the TT models or different.
one other thing i've noticed is that there's no in-tank pump just an external one, do your TT mk1's also have this setup
              :banghead:
if anyone has any engine bay pics this may help with my quest cheers guys

Back to the top

"mk1turbo" said

Stupidog said

Here's what's on mine,

stupiddog is yours an original mk1 conversion or taken from a mk2.
Im trying to figuare out how relavant the VW and Turbo Numbers are.
Mine is VW5 and TT049

Hi,

Mines and original conversion in a  1986 Mk2, just for clarity I also have a MK1 Cabrio but it's not an 8v Turbo

Back to the top
dmark,
Apparently the tt metering head will have been machined but i dont know how true this is turbtechnicsmk1 will be able to answer this if he ever logs on.
The metering head you will be able to completly strip down, clean and rebuild. I did it to a 1600 had it chemicaly cleaned and repainted. It looked brand new.
The rust in your tank will have had a major effect on the running and probs buggered up the whole of your fuel system. New tanks are available from GSF as well as Filler neck at a good price. I know a guy who has just bought both of these items for a total of around £120.

We ought to have a sticky thread / register on who owns Turbo Technics converted cars. Would be nice to find out how many are still around. Also Turbtechnicsmk1 might cream his pants over them.

Back to the top
hi mk1turbo, cheers for that, just trying to gather as much info as poss to make sure that my engine hasn't just had a turbo slapped on it by the previous owner and expected it to work.
just had a look at some engine bay pics of other TT mk1's and they all seem to have the turbo inlet on the gearbox side not on the timing belt side as on mine, just getting a bit worried now that it's someone's failed attempt at a turbo conversion   :(

Back to the top
Thats a Mk2 conversion and should make no diff apart from the fact that someone has moved your fuel lines to the drivers side.

Dont give up yet lol

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.