Skip navigation

My GTI, 2.0 16v progress...

Back to the top

My GTI, 2.0 16v progress...

A little bit of progress,

loads of bits im not completely happy with, idle air valve, rad, metering head, alternator etc but my priority at the moment is getting it running and getting it mot'd, then Ill revisit the engine bay for the final touches   :P

Untitled by gtifanboy, on Flickr

could be running tomorrow? who knows  :)

Back to the top
That's coming along nicely.

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top
AGM?

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
hey mate very good work here! what engine mount did you use for the drivers side? mine is round but i seem to be missing the bracket that holds it to the engine...

Back to the top
Not been on here for a while, sorry! The 16v is up and running but Ive still got a few finishing touches in the bay so i wouldnt call it complete.

Picked these up yesterday, Corbeau Pro-Series kevlar grp buckets, got offered them by someone at work cheapy.

Theyve got some names embroided on them but for £60 for the pair im buzzing :)Ive got a mate at work who can help me out with getting them retrimmed, but I reckon Im just going to get some extended cushions made that cover up the stitching, I did a mock up by using 2 back cushions on one seat and it looked decent.

Now I just need to work out how to mount them :|

Back to the top

bonus85 said

hey mate very good work here! what engine mount did you use for the drivers side? mine is round but i seem to be missing the bracket that holds it to the engine…

It was already on mine when I bought it as its out of another mk1 but it seems to just be welded to a flat plate that bolts on underneath the cam belt. dont know if this helps much sorry  O_o

Back to the top
Stripped out some interior bits today, theres two leaks somewhere in the car and the carpets and sound deadening were saturated so they are out to dry off until the cars watertight again  :thumbs:

Back to the top
sorted my interior out this weekend :)

Back to the top

Untitled by gtifanboy, on Flickr

Back to the top
Also had a look at the rattley engine.

First stripped the top end to put in some cleaned up tappets, everything looked ok up here

Back to the top
I then took the sump off to replace the leaking seal / windage tray.

I found a nice crank :)

Back to the top
But not very nice bearing shavings in the sump :'( so next weekend ill be checking it over to see where they have come from, maybe its time to stick a 1.8T in there :lol:

Back to the top
Oh not good news on the bearings. 1.8T's not a bad thought though  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Ah shame mate. Look on the bright side a 1.8t would sit nicely in there ;)

Back to the top
Ive taken it off the road now until next summer, im going to get a few bits of bodywork done to tidy it up and sort the engine,

not sure what direction im going to take with the engine but whatever it is ill do it properly, a sump full of shavings sucks :(

Back to the top
Best of luck with it mate. Let us know what you decide to do with her :)

Back to the top
Took the engine out and started stripping (the engine)

Figured id give the whole lot a refresh whilst ive got it out to do the crank

Oily gunky pistons

Cleaned up ok  :)

Back to the top
not so good bits

Spun bearing

Scouring on the crank

Back to the top
Not so good bits don't look too bad mate tbh bearing in mind the age of the car.

Best of luck getting it sorted.

Smudger

Back to the top
Small update.

Split the engine and sold,

and got myself a nice ABF to go in :)The plan is a simple strip/clean/paint/service and then it can go in (after abit of exhaust manifold tweaks)

Finding it hard to get time to work on the car at the min though so progress may be slow :(

There are too many online users to list.