Skip navigation

My GTI, 2.0 16v progress...

Back to the top

My GTI, 2.0 16v progress...

Soo I started stripping the KR that will be going in, all going smoothly except the obligatory knackered exhaust manifold nuts..

Slapped abit of paint on the rocker cover, completely different shade to what i expected (cap showed a darker grey) but carried on anyways, finish isnt too bad to say I did naff all prep and sprayed it all on in about 30mins, but im going to take more time with the inlet as its more in view.

Not sure now whether to get the paint off the ribs (the original plan) or leave it as it is, kinda like the look of it now its painted.

SDC15289 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

SDC15290 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

how the engines looking:

SDC15293 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

Back to the top
Ordered a few bits over the weekend :)

First off a set of leds to replace all the crappy little cap bulbs in my instrument panel/gauges/switches so hopefully i wont have to squint to see how fast im going at night.

Also ordered myself a new lock set so both doors and the ignition will be on one key, some heat wrap for my new manifold, a nice new coolant header tank as mine is looking abit yellow.

Need to get myself a proper lifting rig for my crane as the 8v will be coming out weekend after next, Ill also be running up to ECP to grab a load of gaskets and seals for putting the 16v back together and maybe a mk1 diesel rear engine mount if they have one.

Once the 8v is out im going to ditch the battery tray and washer bottle mounting (these are going in the back of the car), change the steering rack mounting rubbers for poly items as itll be easy to get to, give all the engine bay a good clean and paint then itll be time for the 16v to get smashed in  :D

Back to the top
Lookin good mate keep up the good work :)

Click on the link below to see my mk1 16v project

http://vwgolfmk1.org.u…-16v-project#post_1081899

Back to the top
Great work so far Matey! I look forward to seeing the 16v go in :)

Back to the top
cheers  :)

So… Ive decided to sack off the 1.8 16v engine…  :cry:

Because ive got myself a 2.0 16v to go in  :D  :D  

Had abit of time on the golf over the weekend, not as much as i'd hoped to as I spent most of saturday getting my brothers spitfire bodyshell out of the garage and had a big tidy up but it all needed to be done..

mk1 golf gti 8v banger by gtifanboy, on Flickr

mk1 golf gti getting there. by gtifanboy, on Flickr

2.0 16v 6a by gtifanboy, on Flickr

back up on friday to crack on with it again!

Back to the top
I love 16v conversions on these! Hope it goes smoothly :)

Back to the top
I love 16v conversions on these! Hope it goes smoothly :)

Back to the top

SDC15326 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

SDC15327 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

SDC15333 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

8)

Back to the top
ready for paint   :)

boom  :P  also the inlet and cam cover are done, but im going to wait until its in before fitting them

Also had a go at wrapping up the exhaust, dont know if its enough though i ran out   8O

SDC15346 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

REEAAAALLLYYYYYY want to get it running this week!

Back to the top
looking great! as you said.. literally in the final stages! good luck with it!

Back to the top
re-wrapped the manifold, i still hate exhaust wrap  :banghead:

SDC15405 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

Back to the top
A few updates, getting closer and closer  :D

some polybush goodness

SDC15352 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

SDC15355 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

Got the 16v servo and master cylinder in  :o

16v servo and master cylinder by gtifanboy, on Flickr

How the engines sitting, pretty much complete now apart from manifolds (inlet in the background), i also got the 8v box and flywheel off the original engine to be put on before it goes in

SDC15360 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

Back to the top
Finished the inlet manifold, shiny grey with mars red lettering  8)

might revisit the metal face at some point in the future as it abit uneven but not a priority to sort at the moment

SDC15413 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

SDC15410 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

Back to the top
Made up the new brake lines today, 29mm socket came in handy for bending!

photo also shows the relocated fuel pipes I did the other week,

loving life, need a few p clips for the fuel lines then the engine is going innnnnnnnnn!  :o

SDC15421 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

Back to the top
Rebuilt the gear linkage today and clipped the fuel pipes to the engine bay :)

Gearbox cleaned up (looks the same as before)

SDC15437 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

Thennn decided to whip the engine of the stand and have a go at fitting the 8v clutch and flywheel, the clutch looks like it hasnt got much left in it, maybe 1mm before the rivets, and been as the car will get some beans im thinking its better to change it now.

What ive got at the moment:

SDC15439 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

SDC15442 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

so opinions please

Would a new standard 8v friction disc be up to the 2.0, maybe a few quick starts etc?

orrr I am looking at a new friction disc and pressure plate all together?  :neutral:

Back to the top

Paint?

Hi looking good mate! what paint did you use on the manifold???

Back to the top
Cheers  :)  Just some 'metallic grey' VHT paint came out looking like primer  :?  until I put a whole can of lacquer on it  :lol:

Lovely new clutch from GSF

Also picked up a mk2 16v throttle cable and that little seal on the diff, but it was part of a set I dont need   :(  :(  :(

New Clutch :) by gtifanboy, on Flickr

Stuck the pressure plate on and torqued it all up, flywheel was crappy inside so cleaned it out and left it to dry, tomorrow ill get the gearbox on and maybe get it in the car if it ever stops bladdy raining!!   :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Back to the top
Hi fella

Just found your thread whilst browsing & wow - your car is a carbon copy (prior to the engine conversion) of How I'm restoring mine to

ie. Mars red 3 door Gti -full polybushed, coilovers (I've gone for Kw's which are basically the same) & g60 steels

I agree on the the rear antil roll bar clamps being a swine to fit :banghead:

Just a quick question - how low have you got the coilovers wound down & are you running 45 profile tyres there?

The stance is just how I want mine to look (usable) - looks awesome fella

ps.No spacers used I take it?

ta

Martin

Mars red Tin top 83' gti in progress

Back to the top

Drapoon said

Hi fella

Just found your thread whilst browsing & wow - your car is a carbon copy (prior to the engine conversion) of How I'm restoring mine to

ie. Mars red 3 door Gti -full polybushed, coilovers (I've gone for Kw's which are basically the same) & g60 steels

I agree on the the rear antil roll bar clamps being a swine to fit :banghead:

Just a quick question - how low have you got the coilovers wound down & are you running 45 profile tyres there?

The stance is just how I want mine to look (usable) - looks awesome fella

ps.No spacers used I take it?

ta

Martin

Good taste  :lol:

yeah the tyres are 195/45s no spacers

How the coilovers are at the min:
(was abit lower in the vwfestival field pic but raised it as I had mad tyre rub, never had any arch work tho so it could possible sit that low fine with abit of fettling)

SDC15461 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

Back to the matter at hand… THE ENGINE IS INNNNNNNNN  :D  :D  :D

SDC15447 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

Sick stance

SDC15448 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

Representing  8)  :P

SDC15449 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

Sooo happy  :)  :)

SDC15459 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

Back to the top
Where I'm at after a bit of time on it today, exhaust manifold on, inlet on, engine and gearbox oil filled up.

One issue ive found is the oil breather nowhere near reaches the inlet pipe.

Also im not sure which fuel metering head to use, would my 8v one be up to fuelling the 2.0?

SDC15477 by gtifanboy, on Flickr

Im loving the grey either way seeing it going back together makes me  :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.