Skip navigation

Rally on the Saturday - Part one sorted, now with photo

Back to the top

Rally on the Saturday - Part one sorted, now with photo

That's Blithfield reservoir, and luckily it has a couple of (small) car parks at either end if people wish to stop..

Trying to think where to go that isn't too far - I'm fairly local, so there should surely be a few road I know that are nice and quiet.

In fact, my dad has been in this area for longer than me (obviously).. I shall coax him onto here to guide us.

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

X said

In fact, my dad has been in this area for longer than me (obviously).. I shall coax him onto here to guide us.

Consider me coaxed…. ;)

I've lived around the Staffordshire area for 45 years, of which well over thirty has been as a driver/biker. My first ten years was on a series of bikes, so I was always blatting around just for the sake of it (fuel was 69p a gallon when I started riding  8O )

Anyway - I assume you're starting out from Uttoxeter racecourse - could you give me an idea of the kind of distance you're looking to travel? I guess you'll want a photogenic stop-off point, with the possibility of somewhere to grab a burger and a cuppa?

Having read the thread above, I agree that keeping a steady pace is very difficult. The front car can be trundling at 40-50mph, but cars further back will often be doubling that just to keep up.

So - I have a suggestion (that we use for big bike convoys). It's called "second man drop" - basically, the person who knows where he's going ALWAYS stays in the lead. At every point where a turning is required, the person immediately behind the leader stops and directs everyone else, then tags onto the back of the convoy. Clearly, its MUCH easier on a bike, as parking a car just before or just after a busy roundabout isn't always easy (or legal!) However, its worth a thought.

Alternatively, just try to keep the route simple, and produce a map, showing the start, mid and finish points, with basic directions on the other side.

Anyway - let me know the base requirements and I'll put some thought to it. I'll probably be tagging along with Matt, so I don't mind helping out if I can

Back to the top
Just a thought - a great stop-over (and a great photo opportunity AND somewhere for a bite to eat) would be at Shugborough Hall.

However, there's a £3.00 per car parking charge - I'm happy to contact them and see if we can arrange mass parking in front of the house  with a parking discount, but if people will moan at having to pay, then I can come up with something different.

However, IMHO, it would be a great mid-point and something a little different

Back to the top
…and that's why it pays to be local - to be fair my Dad and I don't usually have a meet that's close to us, so its always good to have a bit of knowledge when organising this kind of event :D

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
:P  :P  Nigel & X, have a look in Club business and you'll see part 1 of the route  :wink:

:mrgreen:

Back to the top
I don't have access to Club stuff, as I'm not a paid up member - I'll let Matt check it out and keep me informed

Back to the top
Oooorrrrr you could cough up £15 and have a look ;)

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

NigelO said

I don't have access to Club stuff, as I'm not a paid up member - I'll let Matt check it out and keep me informed

I'll pm you the details Nigel, unless Matt has beaten me to it  :mrgreen:

Back to the top

GAMMYGOLFGTI said

NigelO said

You big softy, we could've got £15 out of him.. You're the good cop in these situations then :lol:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

X said

GAMMYGOLFGTI said

NigelO said

You big softy, we could've got £15 out of him.. You're the good cop in these situations then :lol:

He's your dad!!!!!  8O  8O
 :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Nice try Matt, but if you recall, I'm only a forum member on here so I can keep your car running.

Anyway, I seem to recall YOU joining in on MY car club's trackday, at MY expense, so I reckon you should pay the £15 to give me club membership on here…..

Tsk - "bank of Mum n Dad" - sooooo true ;)

Back to the top
Yes… Well… Umm…

:offtopic:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

X said

:offtopic:

WooHooo - I've been "modded" - makes a change to be on the receiving end

Anyway - Gammy - I've responded to your PM - you might want to re-think your end destination
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.