Skip navigation

1979 Mars Red Series 1 GTI

Back to the top

Ok, so I've bought a S1 GTI - Out the body shop...

Cheers russ, can't wait to see the mess you have left! haha

Head is now at the engine builders, having a strip, inspection, valve stem seals replaced and a skim.  Hopefully it wont need anything else doing.

I have purchased some more things just recently

I got a NOS lock for my glove box because mine is knackard and I stupidly bought a s1 fog light switch (which my car doesn't need as its a 1979) should of done my research first.

I also managed to get my hands on some s1 clocks, pretty tatty but the PCB is good and they were cheap! Im going to transplant the PCB from these clocks to my clocks and see what happenes.  They also came with a headlight switch, a handbrake indicator thing as well as the oil pressure warning indicator and a heater knob thing so im happy really.

Only thing is, im not sure what is supposed to attach to the male spade on the back of the speedo? and there looks like a hole for a bulb? does anyone know?

Back to the top
mmmm…. madonnas boobies..

does look as if the central drive is missing for the clocks but i'm not sure what the back of series 1 clocks are meant to look like….

Back to the top
no its all there, the speedo cable screws into it mate.  its the same on my other clocks.  thats what im not looking forward to sourcing - a s1 speedo cable

Back to the top
ive also bought these today

Thats all the dash complete! woop

Back to the top
I wish I had a friend like Russ!

Mine has been forgotten about a little just been really busy recently! Good to see your updates are coming along!

Are you going to Santa Pod this weekend?

Back to the top
I want to, depends if I can be arsed with the 1.5 hrs drive there then again back :-(

Back to the top
Yeah about 2+ from me as well! Think we might have to pick some of my brothers stuff up from Coventry anyway so I'm trying to use it as an excuse!!

Back to the top
I'm great me man!

And Lee I tidied up after myslef too like a good little boy…

Back to the top

rustys_mk1 said

I'm great me man!

And Lee I tidied up after myslef too like a good little boy…

I know I know mate

Hes a handy bloke to know is Russ like! I could of done the job myself but its a time thing really, I needed to get the engine into the builders ASAP and im away.  I trust russ after doing countless jobs on various mk1's over the last few years with him so I commissioned him to do it for me in exchange for some beer tokens.

Its what its all about isn't it!?

Back to the top
got a 1.6 and 5 speed box coming outa mine soon if your needing

Back to the top
I know mate I would be but im sticking with this because…..

UPDATE

The engine builders say the valve guides are fucked.  Which is strange because I clearly have a receipt here for a reconditioned engine from Bavarian autowerks and then another receipt from a local garage for fitting it! now the previous story to this car is a complete mystery to me, ill put what I know up here and see if you can work out a likely history.

2006 - receipt for a reconditioned engine from Bavarian autowerks and a receipt for fitting it.  Also there is a receipt for body work and a spray.

2008 - last time it was taxed.

Nov 2010 - bought it from a guy who hadn't sent the V5 off so it was still in the name of the previous owners. Severely rotten rear arch, filler neck area and A pillar, rust on top of one of the suspension turrets, boot lid dented.  other paintwork in top condition and very fresh.  Ignition wires completely cut, no fuel pump wiring at the fusebox and no fuel pump relay.  Coil found to be dead, no battery to alternator cable, no starter motor, no king lead, no vacuum tubing, no brake servo - intake pipe.  clocks with a knackard PCB.  parts of dash missing.  Knackard valve guides

any ideas? if someone could piece that into a story that would be grate!

Doesn't matter really as ive replaced everything that wasn't there now and if just paid the engine builders 200 fine English pounds to fix the head for me.

Back to the top
I know your a scouser and you bought it from a southerner so is it kosher? Did you Hpi it?

sounds like the "original" owner had the work done and didnt look after it and ran it into the ground? overheated? didnt wanna spend more cash let it sit, previous paint and/or welding didnt get rid of the rot in certain places and it came back over three years?

new owner buys it starts fiddling with things he thinks wrong cant work it out/lack of funds gets bored of it sells it to some numpty :P

Back to the top

rustys_mk1 said

new owner buys it starts fiddling with things he thinks wrong cant work it out/lack of funds gets bored of it sells it to some numpty :P

yea it HPI's fine mate.  I think the guy who I bought it of on here bought it and stripped it of its decent parts for his mars red s1 and then stuck his crap parts on it to sell it on.  I think you may  be right about its history before that tho

Back to the top
i've destroyed a set of valve guides ona frshly rebuilt head before due to not running it in properly, overheating, ragging it to the red line everytime i was in it…..the head lasted less than a year…..

Back to the top
Oh right!  

Well ive found a really good K-jet operation guide so ive stuck it up on the forum in the Big block section, it explains properly whats going on so now im fully clued up I can look at it once its fully assembled.

K-jet operation guide!

Hopefully that will help others too, its deffo helped me.

Back to the top
Ok so this came from the states today….

Any guesses as to what it is? some already know…

Back to the top
is that it? not what i was expecting LOL!

Back to the top
Fuel injector removal tool

Back to the top

smokey_gti said

Fuel injector removal tool

Correct!

I know Russ but it does work, you wedge it under then put a big screwdriver through the one of the holes and lever it out.  Simple but effective but I couldn't find anywhere that made them in the UK

Back to the top
Just read the thread, loving the videos of it firing…

Hope it all runs well when you get it back together…

Top work on getting all the dash parts together…that would make me a happy man :)

Hope I get to see this at some point

1990 Mk2 Golf Syncro

1983 Mk1 GTI Tin Top

1984 Mk1 GTI Cabriolet
There are too many online users to list.