Skip navigation

82 mars red GTI

Back to the top

The little GTI, 82 mars red mk1

Thought so, recognised the avatar. yea not too far at all.

Back to the top
Been thinking about if for a while and finally decided to get the rest of the body done by someone else, probably a good thing since I'd have taken a lonnnnnnnng time to finnish it! lol

Since I've took the shell to the body shop I have room to do the engine, so I'm borrowing a engine stand and have stripped it down didn't take as long as id thought it would. So far I've started cleaning the easy bits like the air box, and other plastics. Started cleaning up the metering head Friday, just need to get a new seal for it then I can bolt it back down to its plastic base.

Back to the top
Dropped by the body shop today to see how the mk1 was going, they've got the rear right arch tub in and the rear 1/4 on plus all the other panels have been test fitted, so not now long till it comes home! :DLast week I got myself a blasting cabinet off ebay so I could blast all the engine parts that need it at home to save taking them all to work to do. Wednesday and friday night I blasted some of bits and painted them ready for fitting. Sent the block off for a quick bore out too.

Today I decided to swap over my clocks casing. My original ones have a small mark on the casing where some muppet has melted it with what looks like a soldering iron, so got hold of some with a undamaged case and swapped everything over so its showing the right mileage. Only 8 bolts and 3 bulbs and the lot comes off in one which was A nice surprise, as I expected to have to strip them completely!

old and new
Zoom in (real dimensions: 1024 x 768)

striped down with casing removed

new casing, cleaned it up still has a few light scratchs but its 30 years old and you wont notice them once there fitted.

Before and after new casing.

Back to the top
Take your time , it will be mint for nx years AGM !

Back to the top
Super! Keep up the good work. It's nice to see another car being saved. 

Sticker Pig

Back to the top
Yeah it's good to see someone putting in so much hard work , well done , keep it up !

Back to the top
Good progress mate, your nearly there now  :party:

Regards, Andy.

Back to the top
Thanks all :)I am aiming to have it finished for next years AGM too! :thumbs:

Back to the top
Nice update dude. Keep up the good work  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Thanks smudger1980 :)Picked up the block today to paint. It's had the top skimmed and 0.5mm bored out of each cylinder. Used wire wheels to clean the rust off then gave it a quick wipe down with some thinners, masked all the bits that don't want paint on them and painted it with Halfords VHT satin black paint. Thinking of doing 3 cotes of paint on it?

Back to the top
Looking good Sp8y, keep picking away mate and you'll soon be there!!

Back to the top
Thank you:), can't wait for it to come back from the body shop and get the engine fitted!!!

Back to the top
nice fresh block - no harm in doing 3 coats ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
3 coats will be more than enough mate IMO. :)

Back to the top
Good:), wasn't really sure how many I should do, does look good now its dried. :cool:

Back to the top
Pistons and crank has now been fitted to the block and more progress has been made on the body. Now thinking of acid dipping it and having it plated to get rid of all the rust in the places I cant get to, but I'm not sure yet.

pics of the engine progress

pics from the bodyshop, new arch, sill and the roof has been repaired.

Back to the top
Oh and I've polished and painted my rear lights, look like new now! :)

Back to the top
Nice little update dude. Coming along nicely. What colour you going for??

Back to the top
Thanks mate, it's going to be mars red soon hopefully :cool:

Back to the top

sp8y said

Thanks mate, it's going to be mars red soon hopefully :cool:

Best colour of course ;)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.