Skip navigation

82 mars red GTI

Back to the top

The little GTI, 82 mars red mk1

Been out in the garage all weekend so managed to get a decent amount of stuff done. :)

First off I bolted wing onto the car with arch liner screwed in place to get the positions to where the clips that hold the arch liner to the body goes, marked points with a pen then drilled a hole with a 7mm drill bit and used as small squre file to file into a square. Had to do this as 3 out of the 4 points had rotted away.

Then I cut off arch then cut the inner arch back to good metal and tac'd inner arch on messed with it to get it to fit right then welded it on properly.

And then the inner sill went on.

And battery tray on too.

Also painted my rear caliper carriers and battery clamp.

Back to the top
found your build thread!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

looks like you have a bit to do, but a lot behind you - been cracking on well with it by the looks of it..

any more progress??

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
Cleaned off and painted the rear left arch tub and have cut the new outer arch ready to fit, so not much but better than no progress. Hopefully do a few bits after work this week! :)

Back to the top
cool, cool ...staying the original colour? whats the plans ?

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top
Yep staying mars, orginal 1.8 gti engine with a few bolt on bits, kw coilovers and some wheels. Pretty much a standard car with a few goodies on it.

Back to the top
Nice work on the rear beam mounts :wink:

Keep it up!

Back to the top
Thanks  :D

Back to the top

sp8y said

Yep staying mars, orginal 1.8 gti engine with a few bolt on bits, kw coilovers and some wheels. Pretty much a standard car with a few goodies on it.

sounds good to me!!  :lol:  :D  :D

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top
Been at it last few weekends and got my VDO gauges fitted into the console that I'm going to use, painted the caliper carriers and rear stub axles, tracked down a genuine sill, repaired the spare wheel tub and cleaned up an Audi throttle body which I'm still unsure weather to use or not?

piccys-

gauges

caliper carriers and stub axles

sills, genuine vs non genuine (tops the genuine one)

Throttle body and a template of what needs to be ground off the manifold.

spare wheel tub repair

Back to the top
Keep it up mate you're getting there!!

Back to the top
Nice work with this.

Back to the top
Nice work :)

I saw a crinkly peanut tomorrow

Back to the top
Thanks all  :)

Back to the top
more done - less to be done!! good skills matey.. :)

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top
yep :) thanks mate

Back to the top
Started the sill, doesn't fit right still but not far off now, also cleaned off inside of the spare wheel well and found a pin hole and a small bit that needs a panel welding in.

Been buying bits for it again got a radiator fan, dash clock surround thingy, samco hoses and some plastic grilles that go behind the front bumper.

Took the fan apart, cleaned the blades up and painted the motor and the put it back together and fitted it to the cowling. gonna paint the red grille trim next since I can rub them down in the warm.   :mrgreen:

sill trial fitting + spare wheel tub

fan motor + fan fitted to cowling

bits I got

Back to the top
Strong work dude.

Back to the top
where abouts in doncaster are you from? would love to see this work in the flesh keep it up :)

Back to the top

Back to the top
yes haha kirk sandall not far from each other then
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.