Skip navigation

Joe90k's Rising Blue 1.8t - BBT K300 IE Rods Custom Interior

Back to the top

Joe90k's Mk1 GTi 20v Turbo

madone_si said

Now that is what I call a complete mk1 restore :) :) :) - great work and results are A1.

Cheers Simon!

I really enjoyed your project thread, before I committed to the golf, your thread really inspired me to get a golf of my own!  :)

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top

Drapoon said

Good progress Joe!

You'll be pleased to know I have made a bit of progress - interior is all out, bought a fuel pump & now scouting for a new fuel tank! The outlet came off with the feed to the fuel pump. Happy days.

See you soon.

Martin

Cheers Martin!

Nightmare! Was it rusted? Or too much elbow grease? lol

I am also on the hunt for one, as the one I had is for a carb model…. not so great when a 20V lump is going in!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top

Joe90k said

madone_si said

Now that is what I call a complete mk1 restore :) :) :) - great work and results are A1.

Cheers Simon!

I really enjoyed your project thread, before I committed to the golf, your thread really inspired me to get a golf of my own!  :)

Glad you enjoyed it - I am also starting all over again like you on my golf.  :lol:

Did you make your own car craddle or did you buy it out of interest? I so want to make one myself.

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top

madone_si said

Joe90k said

madone_si said

Cheers Simon!

Glad you enjoyed it - I am also starting all over again like you on my golf.  :lol:

Did you make your own car craddle or did you buy it out of interest? I so want to make one myself.

Craddle? If you mean the turn over spit then I made it with a little help from my Dad who used to make them professionally to restore MGB's and other classic cars.

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top

Joe90k said

madone_si said

Joe90k said

madone_si said

Cheers Simon!

Craddle? If you mean the turn over spit then I made it with a little help from my Dad who used to make them professionally to restore MGB's and other classic cars.

Can you provide me in email details on how to make one - any advise and measurements would be a great help. thanks

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
Have to say great work there - underside looking very neat.

Keep up the attention to detail!

Back to the top
So, last weekend was manic. 8-7 Saturday and 8-8 Sunday, two very long days getting everything prepped and ready, the whole car was blocked and will be again, all the panels were keyed and flatted with low points filled to get them dead right. Then the inside and engine bay was sprayed in base coat and lacquer ready for the underside to be completed. So the plan is after working this week to spend all of next week putting the underside back together and getting the car off the spit and back on the ground on it's wheels to spend the weekend after spraying the door shuts and the whole rest of the car then flatting it and polishing to get a good finish. Sounds simple written down but I know it won't be!

So some pics, to start with my brother has kindly said I can break his campaign for parts, although this is not ideal the car is far too much work for me to take on after this project and it is just sitting in my parents drive looking sorry for itself so this seemed the best way. It came about as I needed a bonnet and only realised this late on Friday with the car and panels being sprayed the next day! Luckily his was in very good nick probably due to the amount of paint on it! (6 Layers!) First I took the Momo leather steering wheel that was in the Campaign and gave it a clean up, it looks nice, and I think I will be fitting it I think to start with but I might change it for something else later on when funds allow.

Then a pic of the engine in it's current state, everything has been stripped off, and things have been painted and powder coated and renewed to make it like new.

In the booth, sanding the bonnet back to bare metal to make sure it is dead flat, there were 6 coats of paint on it! (This came off my brother's campaign!)

With masking sheet over the car ready to have the parts cut out that will be sprayed!

and now, some pics of the inside and engine bay… It looks so good in real life the prep work was so worth it!

And now it is back in the garage and I have started to fit a few bits late Sunday night before I left.

(The hubs and driveshafts in the above pic have yet to be refurbed!)

Let me know what you think!

:D

Last edit: by Joe90k

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Have followed your thread for a while, finding absolutely inspiring, also loving the colour  8)

Adam

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'02 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Cheers Mate! I'm very pleased with the colour!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Wow…..it's really coming along nicely now matey

Love the colour and that refurb work is amazing   :D

Back to the top
Looking really good. Are you or have you added protection/sealant to the underside and wheel arches?

Mk1GTi
Rallye Golf
Mk5 GTi
Mk7 GTD

Back to the top
comming along really fast. I also love the colour  8)

Back to the top

smokeybubbles said

Looking really good. Are you or have you added protection/sealant to the underside and wheel arches?

The underside and arches have about 6 layers of stone chip on which is a rubberised compound that is thin and quite flexible. It is better than the original underseal as it doesn't sweat over time causing premature rust. It is what modern car manufacturers use.

Cheers everyone I'm glad everyone is liking it! Makes it all worthwhile!  8)

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Some big updates for everyone, things have moved along very well, I will let the pics do the talking though:

Underside complete, Goodridge 6 Line hose kit, fully refurbished fuel tank and all other components either brand new of refurbed fitted, also cunifer brake line and high pressure fuel line with a brand new genuine fuel pump housed in a crazy quiff stainless bracket.

For the very first time in a long time it is back on four wheels and off the spit, which is for sale if anyone is interested! The last photo shows it on the trailer ready to be transported to the booth for paint.

Second and final coat of high build primer applied all over after a lot of prep work to get everything dead right, guide coat applied to be rubbed down once more before the base coat and laquer is applied.

Final paint on, in the booth just after being baked.

And finally outside after being de-masked and having cooled off. The whole things needs to be cut back with 1000 then 1500 then 2000 grit then polished up and waxed to get the best finish possible. I am really happy with the results though! You may also have noticed the lack of other panels. These have been prepped and are awaiting paint and laquer, however we ran out of time last night so they will be done off the car next saturday then hung and if they don't look 100% it will be painted once again all over to get it looking perfect. We will see though! This week the engine goes in and all other bits and bobs to finally make it like a car!

Comments welcome! Cheers everyone!  :)

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Heyup, I think every time I see that colour I like it more ! Hope mine turns out as good as yours !

Also how much do you want for the spit ?? And where abouts are you ? as I could come get it if not the other side of the country from me  :twisted: (mines coming back from the body shop soon and need to the underside)

Cheers
Adam.

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'02 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
You have a PM Adam.

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Good god the looks fantastic fella

Excellent work!

Mars red Tin top 83' gti in progress

Back to the top
hi joe
absolutely stunning mate,that paint looks cracking!
keep up the good work
sean  :)

Back to the top
nice color nice work Joe. im sure will be perfect.

82 Golf 1.8 20VT
My Project

Back to the top
Cheers! It's getting there!

Right more to report, the spit and wheels are sold! Adam above took them so hopefully he can use them well!

I proceeded to buy some 15" BBS RX's in mint condition which are in need of tyres, I am in the process of sorting this though. Needed these as I wanted 280mm brakes and in the long term 4 pot Wilwoods :twisted:

The gear selector tower is in (Removed from a 2003 Toledo, for the bargain price of £20 posted! :D) The cables are perfect length but I am having to update the selector tower on the gearbox at the moment to take the removable ends that it uses. Its in but the rear needs to be supported with a piece of steel which I have yet to make, but will get round to it at some point.

Bias pedal box has been fitted, just need the rest of the brake lines to be run but I am waiting for my Dad to give me a hand with them next week.

The engine is 90% there, I have done the cambelt and fitted a new water pump with a metal impeller. Rather than use the 16V cambelt tensioner I went the route of fixing the standard unit with an m18 shake proof washer, slightly cheaper and isn't as much of a bodge as 8mm worth of washers and the cambelt running slightly off centre.

Oh and turbo is back on with new manifold nuts and cleaned exhaust manifold etc. Still needs a final degrease/paint to bring it back to new :) Although it may be due an upgrade in the near future so I may not bother for now.

The driveshafts have been painted and I am in the process of getting the new inner CV joints I bought to fit, the circlip on the longer one will not go on, it is no where near it, probably to do with the aftermarket CV joints I bought, but I refuse to pay £40 for each one! I have one old one which is in good nick still so might resort to cleaning that up but we will see.

And finally, the brakes, yesterday I went to a local VW breakers to me in Wellingborough who I highly recommend, the guy was very helpful and spent ages making sure I had the right parts and talking to me about his Mk1 that he is taking to E38 next weekend! Anyway I took them off an M Reg VR6 with a crushed roof.

Finally the brakes in question 280mm callipers and carriers off an early Mk3 VR6 plus the matching rear callipers with internal handbrake mechs that are not prone to seizing like the mk2 items that I currently have which are already seized!

More to come, working hard to get this finished now! Am very quickly running into a large amount of debt/out of money!

Joe

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.