Skip navigation

brad mole's mk1 golf project

Back to the top

brad mole's mk1 golf project

i bet that its guna look rude when finished. odds are 1-1. loving the pastel colour. what is the actual colour called?

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top
thanks man, its VW birch green, used in 1964-65

Back to the top
How did you tinit your lights? they look rather sick bud :D
Dave

Back to the top
i just used the tinting spray off ebay, only cost about 8 quid  8)

Back to the top
If you give the rear lenses a couple of coats of clear lacquer then you can flat them off and buff them up to a nice shine rather than the satin finish (they will last a bit longer too as the tint spray slowly fades in sunlight).

Stunning colour, looking forward to pics as you build it up!  :punk:

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
i think i'm in love…..  :mrgreen:

Cant wait to see it when its all built up

Steff

I saw a crinkly peanut tomorrow

Back to the top
i havent really got as much done as id like to so far :( but heres a small update

i bought some bits and pieces, splitter, dash trays and new steering rack boot, then cleaned them all up nicely

mk1 golf progress by bradmole, on Flickr

cleaned and painted my gear linkage (need a bush kit)

bought some new latches too as mine were broken, give these a quick polish up, they arent amazing but will have to do for now until i can try painting them

started on the block, eventually, not far from getting to paint, but its been an absolute nightmare

and today i started trying to fit the headlining, not fun at all, im going to do it in a few stages and not rush it so i only doen the front lip today (worst pic ever, i forgot my camera)

26 days left until i want it on the road

Back to the top
fairplay mate not long now :) im goin abroad for just over 2 weeks 2day so wen i cum back this should be nearly finished, ill be checkin it out wen im back ;)

Click on the link below to see my mk1 16v project

http://vwgolfmk1.org.u…-16v-project#post_1081899

Back to the top
very nice work, looks like you are restoring every part of the car :) can't wait to see the next updates.

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top

GavB95 said

If you give the rear lenses a couple of coats of clear lacquer then you can flat them off and buff them up to a nice shine rather than the satin finish (they will last a bit longer too as the tint spray slowly fades in sunlight).

Stunning colour, looking forward to pics as you build it up!  :punk:

I would defo agree, a coat or 2 of clear makes a huge difference. And use a good quality clear, I have some VW clear and some Halfords clear and have learnt the hard way that Halfords is useless.

Back to the top
Did you use the e-tech light tinting spray bud? Its the only one on ebay  :dontknow:

Back to the top

daveformale said

Did you use the e-tech light tinting spray bud? Its the only one on ebay  :dontknow:

yeah thats the one mate, it says to do light coats, but thats what i tried the first time i used it and i ended up using a full can and having pink lights, so this time i done heavier coats and ended up with red lights and a small amount spare, after 6 or so coats

Back to the top
mate, what camera you got? the pics are lush! can always tell if the good camera is being used, you look like u know what youre doing with it too! the refurbed parts are lookin epic mate really well done! i cant wait to see this coming together! do you refurb them all yourself? how long does that drill attachment last you? did you use that for removing old paint from the brake servo for example?

cheers mate!

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top

brucieboy said

mate, what camera you got? the pics are lush! can always tell if the good camera is being used, you look like u know what youre doing with it too! the refurbed parts are lookin epic mate really well done! i cant wait to see this coming together! do you refurb them all yourself? how long does that drill attachment last you? did you use that for removing old paint from the brake servo for example?

cheers mate!

thanks man,

the camera i use is a canon 5d mkII with 24-70 f2.8 L lens, bit of a pricey piece of kit to be throwing about getting dirty when doing a mk1 project, but i dont have a compact camera so this is getting abused fr the project, i suppose good pics make a more interesting build though so its all worth it.

yeah ive been refurbing everything myself, a bit of an OCD kinda guy, as ive stripped it and had it painted, i wanted to clean EVERYTHING up before putting it back ont he car, the job is not amazing on my refurbed bits, but its certainly good enough for me for now. but as my deadline is closing in fast, some things arent getting the attention they would have if they were done at the beggining, but the most important pieces are already done i suppose.

as for the wire wheels, ive got various ones, around 5 in total, and they have all lasted pretty well, and only cost around £5 each so well worth it, i will get a picture up of them when i think on. Basicly i use them to strip paint and grime off things, then if need be use some sandpaper too, but most of the large areas are done with the drill attatchment wheels. Just gotta be careful on certain things as they dig in and grind marks into soft metals, especially if too much pressure is applied. but yewah these attatchments ive got have lasted the whole build and are still in decent condition, i think only one has worn out

Back to the top
well, this is where the good progress starts, well except for the headlining, what a nightmare, but its getting there, slowly, glued a few more bits of the headlining, really just trying to take my time on this to get it right

got myself a new gear linkage kit

started on the subframes for the recaros, got some old mk1 seats

10 mins later and we have subframes

looks like they are going to take a bit of cutting and welding to fit

boot hatch on

steering rack and wiper mechanism in

engine before

and after

Back to the top
Engine looks spot on what did you paint it with?

vw a way of life

Back to the top
i used this stuff from frosts, seems pretty good and its brush on stuff, i bought the aluminium colour which is a nice bright silver, lasts forever too

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-paint/engine-enamel-paint.html

Back to the top
brad, very nice car.....loving the detail mate. if you were close to Birmingham, would of given you a hand with the roof lining......ive done lots of them....but your right, its tricky.

Back to the top
progress has been mega slow the last week or two, trying to fit the headlining :( car definitly wont be done for VW fest now and may only just be roadworthy by edition, but im thinking positive

bought some gaskets

mk1 golf by bradmole, on Flickr

and more, along with some new nuts and bolts

fitted some bits to the engine

painted my spare rocker cover satin black

chopped some more off the subframes

fitted the MOT lights

Back to the top
engine looks sweet silver mate, never sin one all silver, looks mint. shame u ent gonna get it rerady for wen u want, how did the headlining go?or u still doin it?

Click on the link below to see my mk1 16v project

http://vwgolfmk1.org.u…-16v-project#post_1081899
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.