Skip navigation

brad mole's mk1 golf project

Back to the top

brad mole's mk1 golf project

well, some of you may remember my mk2 golf i had earlier in the year, if not heres a few pics and a link to the build thread

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=259565&st=0

I was really into that project but always knew the ultimate project for me would be a mk1. After getting to the point on my mk2 where i felt i had done enough and didnt want to spend any more money on it i started to get bored and want a modern car, so (stupidly) i sold it and bought myself an e90 bmw, but after only a few months i started to really miss the mk2 so i started hunting for a half decent mk1 gti.

This time i wanted something a bit more challenging than the mk2, ideally by starting with a standard car which needed some attention, but this mk1 came up local which already had abit of work done but i couldnt resist and went down less than an hour after seeing the add to buy the car, got her trailered back the next day (21/12/2010). Obviously being so close to christmas and haveing loads of snow ive not had much time to do anything with the car until today when i stripped the front end down to start looking at the rust situation.

anyway heres some specs.

- 1981 (i think) mk1 golf gti.
- Previously had a 9A 2.0 16v engine in so hopefully ready to drop another straight in.
- Full stainless exhaust
- Coilovers
- G60 steels
- Rear discs and braided hoses

lets move onto some pics (the previous owner hit a deer, so excuse the odd panels etc.)

anyway, todays work started here, all i done was removed the bonnet, bumper and wings so i could take a closer look at teh rust in the arches and engine bay, i want to get the rust sorted before i go any further. i knew id have to expect to see unexpected rust but it seems theres more than i first thought, but never mind its all part of the project i suppose.

and all tucked up

overall im really pleased with it, so glad i now own a mk1 gti and i just cant wait to get stuck in with it when the weather gets a little better. the paintworks all faded and needs some attention, but im not too fussed about that at the moment as i want to treat all the rust before doing anything else.

so the plans for it so far are:

- strip the car and treat as much rust as possible
- drop a 9A engine in
- recaro front buckets from a rs turbo
- fit new steering wheel
- new wheels in the future and as much lows as possible

hope you all like and although there wont be much progress while the weathers like this, i will try and keep it updated as much as possible

Back to the top
Nice.
It looks in good condition all round.
I've seen a lot more rust.
I think the current wheels look good.
let us know how you get on.

Back to the top
Nice start mate!
Good luck for your project…

82 Golf 1.8 20VT
My Project

Back to the top
Lookin good mate likein the mk2 as well just saw this thread on ed38 as well, is it goin black again?

Back to the top
Nice  8) , good luck with it, keep us updated.

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top

birkin said

Lookin good mate likein the mk2 as well just saw this thread on ed38 as well, is it goin black again?

the plan was to go with an early colour like florida blue, or maybe that light yellow shade, but i think for the time being i will just treat the rust and rattle can the odd panels back to black then decide from there if i want it all black again or a change of colour

Back to the top
that was lee dubs golf heres the thread when he hit the dam deer,

http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…=82971&highlight=hit+deer

Back to the top
yes lads thats correct that was my old car!

Here are a few specs for you Brad so you know exactly everything that I done

Ok so its a 1981 1.6 GTI non sunroof
It is fully wired up for a 16v engine
It has a supersprint 16v conversion manifold
It has a full certified lifetime GT Longlife stainless exhaust
It has a 22mm MC from a mk2 and a 9 inch servo from a passat
It has goodridge braided hoses all round
It has a rear beam from a Mk2 scirrocco 16V which are VERY rare (gives your rear disk brakes)
Passat 'G60 type' steels with 165/50/15 khumo tyres
Interior from a mars red GTI
everything electrical worked when I removed the engine (rare for a mk1!!)

There you go enjoy mate!

Back to the top
My friend now owns your old mk2 and it is hiiiigh grade! keepin my eye on this one

Back to the top
thanks lee for the info, some stuff even i didnt know if had on haha

rob, i miss it too much, i may have to arrange a meet so i can see her again lol  8)

Back to the top
well, heres another update, i was going to keep this all until i got it all done, but seen as its going to be a longer process than i thought, i guess its a good idea to make a few posts of it as im going along.

after stripping the front end down i decided id take all the muck/underseal etc from the inner arches to see the state of them

i noticed a few bits of rust already

as well as some signs of some bad welding attempts which dont show up very well on these pics

so i started scraping off the stonechip stuff

a pic of the inner arch and suspension setup, to hopefully compare to when its finished

scraping off the stuff was a total nightmare so i bought one of these badboys

this made the job alot easier, however as my garage has no electricity, it meant i had to use a cordless drill to power it, which didnt last long at all, after a few charges i got sick and left it at that until i can get the car around to my house to use the power.

my garage is located a few streets away from my house, rolling the car around to the house involves joining a main road, so this was going to be a bit awkward, anyway i went on the hunt for a gap big enough to cut through a street to cut off joining the main road, hopefully im going to attempt the move at the weekend and will update next week with teh outcome.

anyway moving on, i bought an engine off my mate, its a 2.0 16v 9A engine, with KR cams and ported and polished head.
he was running it on carbs but took them off before selling the engine

i want to go back to injection, meaning i need to source the parts myself, so i went on the hunt for the injection system and found one a few days later, and guess what turned up today

a little box of goodies

the plan is to just clean up the engine block and polish the inlet and rocker cover, or possibly paint the lot silver, unsure yet i will see how things go

i also picked up this original grill from my mate

and thats it for now, updated when/if i get the car around to the house to get a bit further on the arches

Back to the top
Looking really good brad! i need to upload the pics of my engine etc... now go fix me some coffee!!!

Back to the top
another small update, managed to get teh car around to my house, fitted it (just) through teh alleyway behind the garge, it was a tight squeeze, heres a few pics off my phone

took some more of the inner arch gunk off too, but still nowhere near done, and removed the side trims, however im missing a front wing trim so will need to source another one :(

i forgot to mention earlier in the thread, infact it was before i got the mk1, i had bought a steering wheel for it, just as a small project to try and refurb it

but the boss had 18 written on the back which if i remember correctly is too big for a mk1, which is 16?

bt anyway i got offered another steering wheel off my mate so snapped that up as i thought it was mega cool, its the smallest steering wheel ive ever seen haha, the cars gonna feel like a gocart with this fitted, not looking forward to using it without pawer steering though, but i suppose its all part of the fun :D

i also picked up a set of cheap teardrops he had for sale, i fancied trying to polish them to see how they turn out (as if i havent already got enough work to be getting on with haha)

at least they came with brand new tyres :D :|

anyway, after being sick of the sight of rust, i decided to make a start on the wheels, i removed most of the paint with nitromorse

Back to the top
Looking good so far…

I had a set of tear drop that I polished. They look ok when done as they have the metal centres to polish too.

I have to say though - I LOVE the G60 steels. I really want a set for mine, though can't spare the pennies on something that isn't essential!

Keep the pics coming…

Back to the top
Like the racing slicks!! :) Also, can't believe you fitted your MK1 down that alley, no way!!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
today was quite a productive day, while sat working in the car i noticed a bit of carpet slightly peeled back so thought id check underneath to see the state of it, expecting the worst, which is pretty much what i was faced with, RUST. this made me think if it was even worth carrying on with this mk1, or just finding a better example and starting from there, but i wanted to see how the rest of the floor was, so again expecting the worst i set about removing most of the interior pieces, seats, parcel shelf and supports, seat belts, lower daash and centre console and finally the carpets

first the boot carpet which revealed only a tiny amount of rust in the wheel well which is to be expected, then came out the middle carpet which revealed more rust, and finally the front carpet which was where i had first spotted the rust patches along the inside of the door join part, below the sides of the dash going right down to the floor. is this a common place to get rust?

i didnt clan anything up on those pics, so it looks worse than it is i suppose, but im guessing there will still be some serious rust parts there, i will tidy it up and update at some point

heres all the stuff i emptied out of the car, its amazing how much stuff can fit inside a mk1

i decided id give the carpet a quick clean while it was out and still light outside

before

and after

i got told these were quite hard to find, anyone know if they are worth anything? they have some cracks/splits in them, if there worth nothing im just gonna bin them

a quick update on the centre caps, sick to death of sanding already and they are not even nearly done

i also got these today

Back to the top
Its not uncommon to have a rusty floor, esp if you've had a leaky sunroof or the scuttle drains have not been kept clear of leaves etc.

If they block water spills over to where the blower motor is and seeps in under the carpet

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
today i decided to try and tidy up a few things to make future progress a little easier. i gave the inside a quick wipe down to get rid of most of the loose dirt

before

the pile of sound deadning i removed

this was the only piece i could salvage so im gonna try and keep it to put it back in when rebuild time comes

a nice little mess

after the quick clean, the interior came up a little nicer than it first looked

but these pieces are still going to need replacing at least, these are the parts i was talking about earlier, the bit running from the endge of the dash to the floor…

and the inner sills

and the wheel well/middle of rear valance need a little work, but shouldnt be too hard to repair

then i moved on to tidy the engine bay a little, i removed a few wires/cables i could, and started trying to remove the loom, but seen as its going to be a while before it goes back in, i want to leave it as late as possible to remove so i have it still fresh in my mind where things go. so the rest of the loom went into a pile in the middle of the bay so i can work on the sides and front

and covered over to protect from the dust etc.

then started stripping some of the paint from the bay

i know ive started too many jobs at once without finishing, but im trying to find as much rust as possible to see what needs done, then i can repair the rust all in one go, or a few stages anyway

Back to the top
Didnt realise you had started work on the engine bay! im nearly done with my gearbox now so its ready for paint :D then ive got the head, intake manifold and manifold to do, then its getting there :D !!

Back to the top
Intresting project, going to follow this one for sure! Nice pics also :) Having the same thing ahead with rust issues before a new paint job.

-79 Rabbit 1.5
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.