Skip navigation

PNERivage's Rivage Restore

Back to the top

PNERivage's Rivage Restore

well X factors on, thought I  would do something useful, so I thought it was about time I stuck something up on the forum about restoring my Rivage.

I have had my Rivage for 4 years and since the start of the year decided to try and fix all the bad points and get it back as original as possible

so here goes

Since the new year I have been busy with the following

My drivers bolster was one of the worst I have seen so having tried to find material I bought a mint interior bought of funkstar and did the 7hour return drive to his place one saturday morning

seats (before and after) - my 1976 vespa rally 200 in the garage!

This also sorted out my heated seats working after I changed the relay in the passenger side

window capping replaced (new one off funkstar)

because I had moved house my car ended up on the drive unused for weeks at a time and I didnt realise it was badly leaking in (through the bulk head and the roof.  so I decided I was gonna get a new hood but before I did I adjusted my hooks on a frosty day and look what happened

new hood from cj Autotrim.

Rub down and resprayed my wiper arms

had my bonnet and bumpers respray and while its was in bits got some new headlights and main beam lights off the forum

one of my front speakers didnt work so got a new pair (pic before and after)

MFA didnt work.. so I got advice of rubjonny and bought new clocks off him, swapped over of my mileage ..  MFA sorted! (2nd pic my old pcb - dash lights wouldnt work so had previously had them hard wired)

Cig lighter that didnt work replaced

but in the mean time here's a pic of my rivage it its current state

More pics to follow when I find them of the car in the spray shop having the bonnet and bumpers done

If anyone needs any help with the topics covered give me a shout..  I am no expert but have learnt a great deal since joining the forum

just a few more jobs to do….

Back to the top
Looking good so far mate.

Are they original lights?

What else you got planned?

Ceri.

Back to the top
yeah standad cabby hella lights..

The only things that are bothering me at the mo are the suspension, gonna change the top mounts first to see if that sorts the rattle and harshness..

one day I will get a full respray and full engine detail..  when the kids grow up and I have some dough

still after your material when you go leather, I have my old interior that needs sorting.

think I will go slightly off standard by adding  electric power steering. All that is required is a change to the steering column,  you cant tell unless you take the dash out.  just need some money

Back to the top
Yeah you got 1st option on the cloth mate.

Dont know what to ask for it so make me an offer.

No rips, drivers front just needs a clean.

Ceri.

Back to the top

PNERivage said

yeah standad cabby hella lights..

The only things that are bothering me at the mo are the suspension, gonna change the top mounts first to see if that sorts the rattle and harshness..

one day I will get a full respreay and full engine detail..  when the kids grow up andi have some dough

still after your material when you go leather, I have my old interior that needs sorting.

think I will go slightly off standard by adding  electric power steering. All that is required is a change to the steering column,  you cant tell unless you take the dash out.  just need some money

I dream of a full respray too….

Back to the top
Looking good buddy.

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
Found some more pics (from my phone)

before and after

Back to the top
Nice work fresh paint is the best, I need a new light for mine where did you get yours?

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

GaVR6in said

Nice work fresh paint is the best, I need a new light for mine where did you get yours?

light or cig lighter

I got a set off lamps off the forum.. put a wanted post and got them off user: Jody

got cig lighter off ebay about £4 posted

Back to the top
new top mount kits and new dampers purchased

Also took some pics of my set up , They are shafted.  Gonna try on get some new springs if I can. Might as well seeing as its all being ripped out

both pics O/S first

pics will follow after job done  :)

Back to the top
I found the swap over very straight forward, the only awkward part was trying to get the cap undone that holds the strut in and holding the shaft of the shock when you try to do up the top nut above the strut, I didn't have the correct ring spanner so I could hold the allen key in the shaft, I used my mates air ratchet. good luck with it.

Back to the top
I wont be attempting it. its going to my mates garage on wednesday.  here's the shiney new bits  :D

Back to the top
Excellent… nice bit of kit there.

I just put a new H&R cup kit on my car… you be amazed the difference!

Handling, cornering, ride all improved.

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
aye, its a nice bit of kit that doesnt fit! :banghead:

Eurocarparts webs site suggested these Bilstein dampers.  but got a call today from the garage that what they have sent doesnt fit.

was rushing round for an hour earlier trying to sort out, hopefully they have sorted it, Apparently you can get damper inserts that fit onto the original struts.

I will find out around 5:30 when I pick up

Fingers crossed

Hugh, I will be sending you some pics and a write up soon about my rivage for your site  :wink:

Back to the top
The ECP site does seem to assume that our late Mk1's are Mk2's or even Mk3's based on year alone, I almost ended up with Mk3 rear springs!  :banghead:

It looks like those they sent are Mk2 Struts, and the Mk1 ones do just need an insert fitting in the strut. Fingers crossed it'll handle like a go cart!  8)

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
Yes the h&r kit I put in are inserts on the front which go into the original struts. Fitted new bump stop rubbers and Top mounts too. Kit also had lowering springs - about 15 mm. Suspension is stiffer but much better. Have to remember car is almost 20 years old!

Hope you get sorted. Looking forward to your pics and info.

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
ok, got my car back, handles much better and sounds quieter over bumps, but there is still quite a rattle when going down a bumpy road…  

Its going in next week again to have the engine mounts replaced! the garage reckons they are shot and its causing the front end Blowing I can hear

Guess that may solve the bumpy rattle noise too

I will get to the end one day

Back to the top
Looking good. 8) I need to replace the side mountings on mine - I replaced the front and rear mounts but it didn't reduce the movement much, hopefully the sides will sort it. Chubbnut on ebay stocks the side mounts and the front and rear are still available from VW.

Did you ever find a good leather gearknob for yours? I was led to beleive they were obsolete, but decided to enquire at VW and they're available - I just bought one today!  :D

Part number is:
357 711 141 A 1BX

Price: £28.42  

:cheer:

Back to the top
nice one Gav, has it got 4 seams. ie original Rivage one?

I got this number as a Rivage gear knob

171 711 141 K 01C

Back to the top
Sure does.  8) I was worried after ordering it that it would be the type with 3 seams, the Sportlines had the 4 seam one too (it's also the same part  on Corrado's).  :D

The parts dept guy at VW thought it was expensive but I reckon it's well worth £30 as you see it, and use it, every day.  :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.