Skip navigation

AL's (not so) mini build... August 2015 - Paint!

Back to the top

AL's "Mini Build" *04/12 - 6 months later...*

nice red floor, when the car isnt there,it will just look like someone just got stabbed o your drive and you washed the blood up lol

i watch too many horror movies,

nice work so far, good luck converting the dash im doing this with a s1 dash now, what a headache

Back to the top

G60RGE said

nice red floor,

LOL - Yes.

The wife hasn't noticed yet, but I'm sure she will.
I did similar on the garage wall in 2004. She wasn't happy, so I told her it would wash off… Still there… :roll:

Back to the top
Spent some time on the car today. Nothing major, but did get the radiator and oil cooler back in place and refitted the headlights.

Took me a while to work out how to fill it back up with water as my hose pipe was frozen and I couldn't find anything bigger than the kettle!
Eventually found a watering can with a big lump of ice inside that I managed to smash up and clean out.  :|  

I also started it for the first time in ages, after spending about an hour trying to figure out why the fuel pump wasn't coming on! I have bypassed the original relay years ago as I was having some issues with it. Put another stand alone relay and a switch in place, though for some reason my live to the switch wasn't connected and I couldn't for the life of me work out where I took the feed from!?!?! Jumped another live temporarily and it fired straight away!

Only a phone pic, but the front panel is looking OK now it is dry!

Lights back in by www.pix-al.co.uk, on Flickr

Back to the top
Hi, lovely looking  mate, what colour red is it cos i am about ready to get my car in colour now i have a paprika red cabby and want to go more redder if that makes sense and love the red on yours, cheers Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Banner

Back to the top
Dave,

Mine is standard Mars Red - code LA3A, though that last pic does not represent the colour very well. It is more orangey red, which us Mk1 purists prefer… ;-)

Back to the top
Alright son……looking tidy mush  8)

Restored 1961 Mk1 Mini Misses drives a 10 plate bmw mini cooper d sports pack Me drives a 61 plated C220 CDI Restored 1960\'s forecourt petrol pump 1964 P4 Rover 110 resorted by my dad 23 years ago On the look out for LBD 376Y

Back to the top
Just ordered a new steering wheel for my golf.  :mrgreen:

I have always like the deep dished motorsport type, like the OMP Corsica, though those are quite pricey, and used items always fetch good money on ebay.
Being tall and having the seat pushed right back, I have always though that an extra couple of inches on the steering wheel boss would be good?!?!

I happened to be browsing Ebay and found THIS by FK. Good value @ £38 inc the P&P, though found it £6 cheaper inc. P&P on AMAZON of all places!!!

This is the Polyurethane version. They do a proper leather version for around £50 too.

Few pics:

This will go better with the look I am going for with the interior. SO - Keep your eyes on the for sale section if you like the Wolfsburg Wheels, as that is now surplus to requirements - Just not quite to my tastes…

AL

Back to the top
Oh - Forgot to mention - I put some fuel in it last weekend and took it out on the street to turn it around and stick it in the garage forwards so I can do some work on the drivers side.

Nice to get it moving under it's own steam again!  :-)

Back to the top
cool wheel... 8)

82 Golf 1.8 20VT
My Project

Back to the top
OK - What should have been a 5 min job, turned into an epic today…  :banghead:

I wanted to try my new steering wheel on - "5 min job"… or so I thought!

Two of the screws holding the old wheel to the boss had seized - well and truly!

Drilled the heads off pretty easily to remove the old wheel.
Then put the boss under my pillar drill to drill out the rest of the screw, thinking I could re-tap the hole afterwards.
3 snapped drill bit later, it wasn't happening. With the boss being ally and the screws steel, the bit was wandering into the softer material.

Plan number two - I'll re-drill 6 new holes in the ally and tap those.
Started off ok - marked up the holes with the wheel in place and drilled them out. Started tapping them and on the fourth hole SSSNNNAAAPP - the flippin' tap snapped!  :banghead:

Luckily, there was enough sticking out to grab with a mole grips and I had another tap the right size!

Finished the job and offered up the wheel and yep,  one of the holes was off slightly…  :roll:
Managed to get a new screw in though, so not all lost.

End result is, the wheel will go on, however, I am not totally happy and will probably need a new boss sometime down the line!

I like the look and think it will be great when the dash is in.
Quite small though. Think it is going to be quite heavy to park!  :?

A crappy phone pic of the wheel…
It does have a chrome centre with an "FK" horn push - just not fitted here…

New wheel by www.pix-al.co.uk, on Flickr

Back to the top
Well, After yesterdays little escapade, today went a little better!  :mrgreen:

The dash shell is now in!

6N Dash in Mk1 Golf by www.pix-al.co.uk, on Flickr

Hopefully, it won't have to come out again!

I fitted the heater in that I had off ebay, months ago and wired it up for the first time - nothing…  :|
After a bit of head scratching, I tried a different heater switch that I had lying around and it buzzed into life! all three speeds worked too, so I was pleased with that!

My Monster Tach, fuel guage and Temp guage didn't want to work either, but I soon discovered the main power feed for them had become disconnected, so they are all working too! Got to work on final fitting and some sort of panel for them now.

I have also sussed out which connectors I need to use for the Polo light switch that you can see to the right of the wheel. This will control lights and fog lights and I can hopefully get the fader to work for the dash board lights too.

Need to mount the heater control unit to the rear of the dash and then the fascia panel to the front, so some fabrication needed there.

Also have a stereo lined up from the wifes old 206. Nothing fancy, but does have USB/SD/Aux etc.

Should progress a bit quicker now!

AL.

Back to the top
Finally you got a dashboard Al.
its looking good but you still have lots of work with it.
i m waiting your next update,

Good luck :wink:

82 Golf 1.8 20VT
My Project

Back to the top
Yes mate - Still some work to do…

Dash looks nice though, don't you think?

Back to the top
Love your work mate!

seems you have beaten me to the original trimmed RS turbo recaros, just what im planning for mine!

Im still going to do it tho!

Back to the top
Ummmm dude…rip that crap out and put the original dash back in !!

Just my thought on that one

Restored 1961 Mk1 Mini Misses drives a 10 plate bmw mini cooper d sports pack Me drives a 61 plated C220 CDI Restored 1960\'s forecourt petrol pump 1964 P4 Rover 110 resorted by my dad 23 years ago On the look out for LBD 376Y

Back to the top

Lee_dub said

Love your work mate!

seems you have beaten me to the original trimmed RS turbo recaros, just what im planning for mine!

Cheers Lee_Dub.
I thought it was a completely original idea until I found a pic of a car with it done a few years ago. Didn't put me off though…

You doing yours yourself too are you getting it done professionally?

Back to the top

Mortz said

Ummmm dude…rip that crap out and put the original dash back in !!

Just my thought on that one

What do you know, Paul - You drive a floppy top!

:wink:

Back to the top
ohhhh....ok the gloves are off......each to their own............floppy top love it.... xx

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

Lee_dub said

Love your work mate!

Cheers Lee_Dub.
I thought it was a completely original idea until I found a pic of a car with it done a few years ago. Didn't put me off though…

You doing yours yourself too are you getting it done professionally?

I'm going to get mine done professionally, outer in the same material as the GTI outer seat and inner in S1 GTI material as I've got a S1 mate, I too seen it in a video of a mk1 then I tracked down the build thread (in sweedish!) and got some pics, looks amazing!

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

Yes mate - Still some work to do…

Dash looks nice though, don't you think?

Absolutely yes. i think polo's dash is the best dash swap for mk1s.

i forgot, Audi tt's dash also good :wink:

82 Golf 1.8 20VT
My Project
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.