Skip navigation

difference between 1.8 injection and 1.8 carb

Back to the top

difference between 1.8 injection and 1.8 carb

simple question can I use a injection engine block for use as a carb engine (in other words is the block capble of driving the mechanical fuel pump) and any other relevant details that are different

Back to the top
The blocks are the same, not sure about the intermediate shaft though. Did you mean to say block, or bottom end?

Back to the top
bottom end is identical, can remove the cover plate and bolt the fuel pump straight on. only real difference is the head, gti head flows a bit better and has a better cam in it, plus it has holes for the injectors and no hole for the inlet manifold coolant oring.

if you are planning to use the 2e2 carb you need to drill a hole for this, but if its a later k-jet head with the vacuum pipe there you cant do this it so you'll have to change the head for anothet GTI head or your old carby head.  if you're using a webber carb then you can do without the coolant channel hole on the head :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Sorry to hijack this thread;
so if I were buying a engine to use a weber carb on, then a GTI block and head would be fine, you'd just have to fill the injector holes?

Back to the top
indeed

Back to the top
Change the inlet to a carb one, take injectors out and replace with a penny and new injector seats, change the ditzy to the correct type for whatever carb etc etc
Not a massive job, me and my mate are 3/4 of the way through doing it ourselves to a 1.8 8V GTI

This shits hard...

Back to the top
Is the compression ratio of a gti block okay to use with a carb?

I can't find the site I was looking at last night, but this guy had done the conversion and he reckon'd that by using pennies to fill the holes you can lose 3 to 4 bhp. Not sure I see why. He'd fabricated some metal plugs that screwed into the holes.

Back to the top

Back to the top
compression is the same for the 1.8 gti and carb engines so there is no problem

4-5 bhp seems like a lot, be nice to see before/after rolling road graph to prove it 1 way or t'other

Back to the top
carbs=torque! :)
and an amazing noise!

This shits hard...

Back to the top
It does seem a lot; is it because that the pennies won't sit flush with the chamber wall that he's suggesting this?

I don't know why but for some reason I had it in my head that the carb'd engine was 9:1. Are all mk1 golf's 10:1 as standard?

Also, going back to the original thread, which inlet manifold would you better using? The gti one?

Back to the top
Nah the pennies sit in perfectly, just take old seats out put in the pennies and put new seats in, jobs a goodun.

This shits hard...

Back to the top
Could you not be done for defacing the queen? She's around my house regulary for tea. I'd hate it if she saw me using her to block up me engine 'oles.

I suppose it's a lot friggin cheaper (4p precisely) than having some fab'd up.

Back to the top

Downster32 said

Could you not be done for defacing the queen? She's around my house regulary for tea. I'd hate it if she saw me using her to block up me engine 'oles.

I suppose it's a lot friggin cheaper (4p precisely) than having some fab'd up.

Just smooth down the "tail" side instead of the "head" side.

Back to the top

ianbike said

carbs=torque! :)
and an amazing noise!

Carbs=higher fuel consumption

I think you will find that like for like a k-jet engine will have more bhp and torque than a carb one.

Great sound though !!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
LOL yip. I'll believe carbs are better than K-Jet fuel injection when someone posts comparitive rolling road printouts showing a "before" (on K-Jet, properly set up and working) and "after" (with some carbs fitted). To be completely fair, the comparison should be between a carb converted car and a K-Jet one with the equivalent amount of money spent on it doing some tweaks, eg WUR mod and maybe a bigger throttle body. Lets assume both cars will need, and get properly set up for mixture, timing etc.

Back to the top
nah carby and gti are both 10:1, you may be thinking of the 1.6 carb which is lower compy, not sure off hand what it is but 9:1 could be right.  

there were lower spec 1.8 in the US and euro MK3s, but in terms of euro MK1 and MK2, 1.8 all 10:1 :)

Back to the top
So, just to make sure, you use the carb inlet manifold?

What do you do with the water pipe if you're changing to manual carb?

Back to the top
if you want to run carb yes you need the carby inlet. if you are fitting a weber you dont need the coolant channel in the head, so you leave it undrilled and the inlet water connection is just left open. the metal pipe you either cap off if you fit the carby pipe, or fit a gti pipe without the connection on it

Back to the top
An interesting read on the Carbs versus Injection debate - with real figures :-)

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/em_projects_carbs.html

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.