Skip navigation

'83 Golf - (non)BBS Bodykit - Resto Project - (02/01/22)

Back to the top

FINALLY an update - only a small one though!!!!

'83 Golf - (non)BBS Bodykit - Resto Project

Ok so I decided that after moving house, getting engaged and changing jobs (twice), I would pop down to my mums house and have a quick look at the golf.

I had removed the body bodykit from the car last year and and left a fair bit of bare metal on the car. one of the jobs of my list was to get a coat of primer and paint over the rear arches to keep them from rusting so I thought i'd give that a go.

Took the wing off too see what was underneath.. Wow was I surprised! for a start it took me 20 minutes to get the wing off after the bolts were out (none of which were rusty) because it had been sealed to the car so well! What I found underneath was really surprising. No rust AT ALL, just a nice thick layer of sealant.  Happy Days :D

Same with the inside of the wing!

Did a bit of Sanding

Sprayed the rear arches with primer then after a few hours gave it a quick lik of paint…

Definitely not the amount of progress I would have liked to have achieved but progress none the less! Probably do the other side tomorrow…

Alfie

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top
do u still have that kit?

Back to the top
Hahaha yes I do, I'm rubbish at sorting these things out!

I still have 2 kits, one in blue and one in green, I'll definitely get some pics up as soon as I can!

Alex

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Nice project man!

Back to the top
is there a full kit that has hardly any damage? dosnt matter if its a mix of colours

Back to the top
Did a bit more work on the rear arches today, removed all the rubber sealant and sanded down to metal. Then gave it a nice lik of primer and paint. Still needs a bit of work but getting there…. If only veeeeeerrrry slowly!!

New passenger side wing turned up, genuine wing straigt as an arrow and only £27 bargain!

Hopefully work will start to pick up as its off to the body shop soon!!!

MY Build Thread

Back to the top

Back to the top
Cheers Rich,

Getting there very slowly, hopefully i'll have the wings ready for paint and the engine serviced so I can get back to actually driving it!!

How is yours getting on, not seen it about lately.

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
i'll bet you can't wait! do you have a deadline at all?

mine is nearly finished. only driven it once this year :(
hopefully, if all goes to plan, it'll only a couple of weeks till it is done.

Back to the top

golf1980 said

i'll bet you can't wait! do you have a deadline at all?

mine is nearly finished. only driven it once this year :(
hopefully, if all goes to plan, it'll only a couple of weeks till it is done.

I really can't wait, I'm doing a website for a coach company in Oxford and in return they are going to do the work on my car, just waiting on them really…

I've still got to MOT it, it needs a few new CV boots, and a good service.

I would like to have gotten a quote from Frankie, he's said he'll pop by and look at it a few times now but not turned up :(

Although I could get the paintshop to do it, I'll probably sand the bonnet and the new (old original) wing down and give that a lick of paint just so the car is at least all the same colour. Means that a lot of the prep work is done and they just need to work their magic to finish it off properly.

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
As it stands at the moment,

I've got both the drive shafts off at the moment for new boots and need to bleed the coolant system AND try and get the breaks to firm up a bit after the new callipers.

DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS SIDE WING!!!!!!

Then the dun dun dun…… EM. OH. TEA!!!

This weekend is gonna be a busy one as the wife to be is off on her hen doo, so I get the garage to myself for 2 days :D :D

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Another small update for the never ending project. BUT a bit of a landmark at the same time…. Because its EM OH TEA time!!!

As usual.. on axle stands again, brakes bled, still pretty poor though brake performance considering it has new calipers and pads up front and a rear disk conversion. Will need to see what the brake test come back with on the MOT.

Fitted the door handles and door pockets which finishes up the doors nicely. (almost)

Fitted the new seat belts on both sides

Other bits for the MOT:

• *Replaced inner and outer CV boots and rebuilt CV Joints
    *Replaced both steering rack boots
    *Refitted Grill, Lights and retro fitted/bodged the indicators on until the new bumper arrives. (I am amusing that I can get it MOT's without it's bumpers)
    *Fitted new wipers
    *Routed new washer jet hoses
    *Re-fitted dashboard and center console
    *Tested all lights, indicators, horn (had to hit it with a hammer to make it work)
    [/list:u]

So after buying the car back on the 15th of July, 2010  :redfaced: This will be a huge milestone in getting the car back on the road. If it passes its MOT then it'll be straight of to the Paintshop, Can't miss Edition 38 AGAIN this year!!!

It goes in on Monday so fingers crossed  8O

Any comments would be great!

MY Build Thread

Back to the top

Back to the top
Cheers, its all down to the mot gods now :D

Then it'll be hunting down Frankie and or some who's got space to get the old girl sprayed up!

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Bit Gutted today, been on the edge of my seat all day and called them at 5 to get an update….. and they couldn't MOT the car because they couldn't get the bonnet open!  :redfaced:

Now I have to wait another day to find out if I can drive it!!  :x

Alfie

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Golf is back from its its MOT…. Got a nice little list back too!!

All really stupid stuff though, mostly because I had cable tied the indicators and number plate to the car and not sorted the headlights. It was all a bit wobbly!

For some reason the wipers decided to stop working properly, after further inspection they just needed tightening up.

I put two of the wheels on the wrong sides, so the tread was pointing the wrong way.. Ooops!  :imwithstupid:

Also missing a few of the white clips for the front seat runners so they were considered not secure, they do a bit of rocking back and forwards but I can pick these up for peanuts..

Only big thing was the rear brakes not doing much. Can't really figure out why though, because its got mk2 disk conversion on the back, fully bled with new pads  :dontknow:

The full List:

• Front Direction indicators obviously incorrectly positioned  :redfaced:
    Front (both) Direction indicators insecure :redfaced:
    Front registration plate insecure :redfaced:
    Front windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively
    Front windscreen wiper not operating automatically when switch on
    Nearside rear tyre not fitted in accordance with the sidewall instructions :redfaced:
    Offside rear tyre not fitted in accordance with the sidewall instructions :redfaced:
    Front Drivers seat insecure :redfaced:
    Front passenger seat insecure :redfaced:
    Offside front Headlamp insecure :redfaced:
    Front (both) Headlamp aim too high
    Front (side repeaters) Direction indicators missing - I fitted second hand wings with indicator holes, would have been ok if the holes weren't there….
    Rear (both) brakes recording little or no effect
    [/list:u]

So apart from the brakes pretty much all of it was either A) because it had no bumper, or b) because I'm an idiot.

Just need to get a new front bumper really, looking for a black series 1 bumper set but they don't seem to exist!!

No one seems to have any in stock! Any info would be great!

Cheers for looking!

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Your rear brakes might be due to the rear bias valve not working. You can rebuild them (I couldn't find the bits for love nor money) or I have new ATE ones

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
This thing?

http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…s&file=viewtopic&p=193204

It's letting fluid through as I managed to blead the brakes at the weekend and the fluid came through reasonably well…

Doesn't mean it not broken through I guess, does look pretty old!!

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Yep.

Or check your calipers are free moving/pads are fitted correct.

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
those are hard to find and expensive when you do, so i binned mine and made a bracket so a mk2 golf one fits in its place. seemed like a good plan since rear discs were mk2/3 ;)

oh! you need to remove the old pressure reducers/1 way valve or whatever they are before the rears will work properly, they're located near the bottom of the engien bay on the rear lines. luckily for me my master cylinder only had 4 holes and i needed somewhere to put my pressure switches, so i fitted a pair of mk2 golf T pieces where the valves were and put my pressure switches in them

edit: oh! and for the side repeater holes, for the short term get some mk2 'GTI' wing badges. vw classic parts are remaking them now and dirt cheap. speak to big boys toys ;)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.