Skip navigation

My Mot'd 1975 Golf LS

Back to the top

My Mot'd 1975 Golf LS

welsh-mk1 said

Great progress, exciting times now,  what colour will you be going for?

Alex

Hopefully the same colour as the inner arches  :lol:

My swallowtail goes in for paint around the same time ,Good times. :D

Team Wackeldackel - Team Wackeldackel

Back to the top

markl said

welsh-mk1 said

Great progress, exciting times now,  what colour will you be going for?

Alex

Hopefully the same colour as the inner arches  :lol:

My swallowtail goes in for paint around the same time ,Good times. :D

cheers… :) .. yes it will be the original colour, Pheonix Red all over .. kind of appropriate name i guess..

Had several hours on it last night, working on removing every trace of surface rust from the drivers door and the inner door shuts now the doors are off.

Im guessing about 6-8 hours left on the body and about 5 hours a piece on the doors to get them done… cant wait for paint!!

Back to the top
Its been alot more work but the shell is finally getting there ready for paint…

the wings are just placed them on as i forgot the bolts but they aligned up very well, some work to do on the bonnet corner where it had its little prang in the early 80's but the rest is very nearly there.

Hope to start prep the shell this weekend and get the front doors welded by the end of next week ready for top coat soon

Back to the top
Weekend went to plan, i spent Sat morning bolting up and tweeking the front end to get the lines all good and then started on the front doors, while my mate, John the painter worked on the shell…

The one door so far is running at 11 hours work to fabricate the bottom inner and then make the outer panel and i still havnt finished it by a long shot. These things take time i guess !:)

So with the bottom removed, i left the small bit in the centre and put the bar in for a temporary reference.bit of a mess

the other end - nice!

the early start on sat, i have not shaped the end properly or put the drain recess in till later

Many many hours later, the centre section (bottom of pic above) i kept for reference has now been replaced and the raised step in the centre that hold the outer panel away fabricated.. not totally finished but getting there.

the outer panel is made and i have started to fit it, so a few pics to follow later on…

And finally the shell,

Just the initial prep and drying ready for first block down to get rid of any imperfections

I should get this door finished Tuesday night and the shell should be ready by end of next weekend ready for painting a couple of weeks after.. exciting times!!

Back to the top
This is going to be stunning, strong work.

What doesn't kill me can only make me stronger.

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top
Only just seen this, so cool.  Love the old 70's family pictures in front of the car!

Hows the resto going?

Awesome

'81 Black 1600 GTI

MK2 Oak Green 2.9 VR6

Skateboard

Back to the top
Cheers,

So one door is finally finished, i just cant believe how long it took to fabricate the bottoms but i think its worth the effort to save the original doors.

no filler  :D - hope it fits :mrgreen:

Body should be finished and ready for paint by Sat afternoon, and hopefully i should have the other door finished by the end of the weekend. fingers crossed

Mark

Back to the top
Major garage jealousy going on! How much space!? How many other cars!? The Golf is looking good,will look mint when you finish, keep the updates coming!

Rich

Back to the top
Thanks, not my garage unfortunately and thankfully not my cars.
I just rented it for this restoration, having the 2 poster ramp for a few months was a massive advantage i know.

Painter is currently working on car :D

Back to the top
Lucky lucky lucky!! How much is the garage costing just out of interest? I have a possible project car but don't really have anywhere to restore her so just trying to get idea of costs for this…

Rich

Back to the top
Brilliant work.

Back to the top
Most people would look at this and think scrap but hats off to you. amazing work

So glad you are restoring it ,great piece of vw history and your adding your own bit

look forward to more updates

mark

Team Wackeldackel - Team Wackeldackel

Back to the top
Thanks, very kind….

So another day on it today, painter worked on the shell friday and today i finished off the front wings metal work, and rear hatch and John then primed them….while i finally finished the one front door metal work   :D  .

Then we both started late this afternoon to hand block flat the shell, must admit its a very satisfying job…

Front end still to flat, hence the guide coat…Wings are just hanging on the car to dry.., yes we are spraying round all the original  stickers, hope that comes out ok :)

Tomorrow i will start the drivers door welding- not looking forward to that as its about 16 hours metal work   :|    :)
cheers

Back to the top
Nice stuff. Take it you will hang the doors before paint

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

Nice stuff. Take it you will hang the doors before paint

Cheers, we will paint them off the car but i will be refitting them both and getting them fitting like a glove before they get top coat.

Better safe than sorry

Back to the top
Quick update - i have been working on it almost solidly - list of jobs to do never seems to go down and everything takes forever trying to get it just right but what ever happens the shell and wings will be ready by sat night for paint next Sunday.

So last week got the first of the 2 original restored doors on(otherone is not finished) and tested for fit, got it like a glove so was happy with that

Back to today - T minus 6 days.

this quarter has been the trickiest to get right, i think this is the 10th reprime and the last hopefully. Needed to make a correction to the trim line as it was slightly out

Just the first of todays 3 coats of primer, i will get it block flated this week hopefully

The next pictures something will be Pheonix red again  :D

Back to the top
I guess i will let the pictures do the talking  :D

That was some careful masking round that sticker but it was worth it to save it i think as its all history of the car, i also saved all the original vw doorshut  stickers too

We have a few minor paint lags to sort but this is straight out of the gun, it was - 6 degrees outside and we managed to get the temp up to only around 1-3 degrees to paint it, came out lovely, it should look like glass once polished..

Bonnet, boot and other wing next weekend and the doors the weekend after

Over ther moon with it :D

Mark

Back to the top
looks awesome mate.......wow!

Back to the top
Really really nice 8)

Good luck with the rest of paint…

Rich

Back to the top
well done

fancy doing mine now?

As much advice on restoring a Series 1 as possible please
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.