Skip navigation

HOW TO CHANGE THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID (MODS HOW TO)

Back to the top

HOW TO CHANGE THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID (MODS HOW TO)

spot on chortle
did my fluid change today
all guide was very good
surprised how small parts was look at lot bigger on pics lol

now running sweet
thanks again for info and pics

vw dubs for life

Back to the top

New pan gasket seal

Hi , I am in Ireland , Where do I get the pan gasket seal , strainer and filter seal.
Richard

ringo99

Back to the top
Hi ringo,

The part numbers are on the packaging the components came in in Picture 1.

I also list the strainer number in the thread also if your considering changing that too.

All available from your VW dealer.

It's not to bad a job to do, just a little messy.

cheers

Chortle

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

New Pan Gasket Seal

Thanks Again
Richard

ringo99

Back to the top
Does anybody recommend a certain type of ATF? Or is it just standard universal ATF that you guys have been using? Hoping to do this this weekend!

Alex

Back to the top
I did this a while ago and I don't have the car anymore I think it was dextron II

But don't quote me on it.
I am not sure if I have the origional bottle but not back home till tomorrow to have a look see.

Cheers

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
yah dexrton ii will do you fine

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Another easier way without doing all the drain and fill that I have found to be a tad easier……

Buy a Mighty-vac.
Buy a Quart jar of pasta sauce, Glass with a metal top
Buy about 5 feet of Vinyl Tubing that fits your Mighty-Vac Suction port. Cut it in 2 lengths about 2 feet and 3 feet.
Buy a JB-WELD quick epoxy set.
Buy a can of Seafoam Automatic Transmission tune-up
Buy 9 quarts of Dexron II or III
Empty the pasta jar, wash and drain the jar well.

On the top of the jar drill  2 holes that are a size smaller than the vinyl tube.

insert one of the tubes (longer of the 2) to 1/2 inch from the bottom of the jar with the cap screwed on.

Insert the shorter tube about 1 inch below the cap.
Mix the JB-Weld and slather 1/2 of it on the mating of the pasta jar lid to the vinyl tube outside and pull the tubes out a wee bit and then push back (Seals the tubes to the cap internally, and then use the remainder to seal around the tube to the JAR's inside.

It will look like this when done.
bleedertop.JPG
bleederbottom.JPG

You can now insert the longer tube in to the transmission fill tube,  Insert the shorter tube from the jar lid to your might-vac cup tube. and suck out fluid that can be measured.  Suck out 3 quarts. and fill with 3 quarts new fluid.  Start the car and drive it around the block.  Suck out 3 quarts and fill will 3 quarts new, drive it around the block.  Suck out 3 quarts, and re-fill with same amount.  Drive it around the block, then suck out 3 quarts.

You are now going to re-fill the transmission with 2 quarts of Dexron, let it settle, and now Measure the fluid level with the dipstick.  Add 4-5 oz of Seafoam and re-measure, add the fluid in 6oz at a time until it is at the full level. Drive it around the block a bit about 2 miles to get it warm, and then with the engine running in Park Check and top off the level (a little ATF at a time be sure that you wipe the stick off at each measure.)

You have just exchanged by dilution all 6 quarts of old ATF for new, and added a ATF tune-up that will clean friction plates and clutches.  

I am not saying that you can drain and refill it and exchange the filter, but for the Trannys that I have swapped or changed out (I owned 2 Automatics) The filter wasn't ever ruined or dirty that I have seen one with 150K miles and the other at 108K miles.  It will remove the black goo from the clutches and friction debris from the system, but just dropping the pan and cleaning doesn't remove the 3.2 quarts of ATF that is old and sitting in the Torque Convertor.  The only way I have found to clean that out is the Dilution method, or by dropping the Tranny and removing the Torque convertor and placing it upside down over a drain pan.

Just my two cents on this issue.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.