Skip navigation

Lola MK1 Golf GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top

Lola MK1 Golf GTI Cabriolet

Just thought I would share my project with you guys and show you a few pictures!

In October last year my Dad bought Lola the 1988 Mk1 Golf GTI Cabriolet off ebay from a man in Warwick who had her sitting on the drive for 3 years.

It was supposed to be a little winter project that he would do up and sell on!!

Whilst me and dad started to try and get her running, I fell in love and decided to buy it off my dad.

She's had alot done to her in the past few months and progress has been slow but slowly we are getting there!

Just a few of the things we have done: -

- Hundreds of hours spent rubbing her down
- Changed both sets of front brake disks and pads.
- Replaced both CV Joint Gators and Ball Joints
- Complete respray, although it was originally grey the owner who had it previously did a pretty bad job of spraying it black and it would of meant alot more time trying to get it back to grey so it will never going to be an original but ha ho!!
- Complete new front panel, patches on the back passenger wing, new driver side door, exterior mirrors and bonnet fetched from Manchester
- New dash board and brand new Carpets.
- Seats and door cards are in mint condition, just needed greasing up.
- Made new hard board door cards as the orginals were water damaged
- Brand new GTI grill (Ebay)
- Brand new Mohair roof fetched from London
- New window screen
- BBS Alloys refurbed and resprayed with new tyres
- Crystal rear lights (Ebay)
- New exhaust
- Original golf ball gear knob (Ebay)

Shes not quite running at the moment as the electrics where in a bit of a state as the previous owner tried to put a large sound system in, central locking that didn't work and immobiliser and alarm. She hasn't passed her MOT yet but hopefully she will be ready for the next meet or the one after that!!!

Next plan after that when iv finished paying dad off and have saved some money is to slam her into the weeds!!!!

Here's some pictures anyway from start to present! Let me know what you think!!!!

Back to the top
very nice car

seen this yesterday on the stand and was impressed :)

Banner

Back to the top
yeah, i saw this car yesterday aswell, loved it :wink:

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner

Back to the top
nice little black devil
congratulations   :)

Back to the top
Looked very nice on the stand yesterday and i found the little write up amusing  :D

Any future plans?

92 caddy, Now stripped for full rebuild
83 golf gti R1 carbed 16v(soon to have 1.8T)
07 Leon FR TDI daily

Cambridgeshire regional host

Back to the top
Very Nice Car,Looked great yesterday  :D

Back to the top
very nice, looks like the hard work paid off

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
I to saw Lola yesterday..Emma's smile said it all ! Well done to you and your old man….
p.s has your dad sold any socks yet  :wink:  :wink:
dazzle

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks alot guys really appreciated your kind comments. I will update the thread as alot has changed since, but my photobucket didnt want to play the other day!

She is water tight, looks very shiny and runs fine, so for the time being I havent got any big plans. Eventually when I have saved the pennies again me and my dad would like to take the engine and gear box out and rebuild them.

Looking forward to the Uttoxeter AGM and Ali's curry, but he aint cooking it in my tent!!lol!

Dad has made an executive decision to not wear shoes anymore so he can wear his shocks out fatser and has now opened an ebay shop!

Back to the top
Well I've made the big decision to take Lola off the road for a while and sort out some big jobs. On Friday she will be officially off the road for a few months Sad I wont be making any huge performance changes, just want to get her running, sounding and looking better.

I was toying with a reconditioned engine but I would need to save for a year! I managed to find a standard 1.8 8v off funkstar on the Mk1 owners club. Picked it up Saturday and its well tidy, just got to clean it up a bit more first, fit my 4-2-1 manifold and look at all the cooling system! It had been driven before by funkstar so I'm not jumping in with no idea whether it will run or not! (Pictures will be up later!!)

Im stripping the bay out completely as the wiring is shoddy so thats all hopefully gonna be replaced with a new wiring loom.

Work wont be starting on Lola for a while as the garage needs sorting out so theres room for her to be worked on in the dry. Don't know about smoothing the bay but a general tidy up and clean is on the cards.

I'll try and keep everybody update with whats going on but I'm lazy so won't promise anything Smile

Back to the top
Here are a few before pictures before I get started! Very exciting!

Back to the top
Go on Em - u can do it.  If you need a hand ………. dont ask me - I dont know one end of a spanner from another. :lol: x

Back to the top
Woopsie it seems I havent been on here to give an update since October!  8O

Well since October I have stripped and cleaned the engine block,

And slowly started to take parts out of Lola and clean out the engine bay,

To get to this point took me a while as I have to admit I didnt have a clue what I was doing. About a month ago Dad helped me to take the engine out of Lola,

I couldnt believe how much room there was under the bonnet with no engine and I thought it might be a nice place to stay :D

I then got on to sanding the bay down ready for spraying,

Shiny shiny!!!

And since my donor engine was painted and rebuilt in the garage it went in a few days later,

So this is where I was last weekend, I havent got a bang up to date picture but at the weekend I managed to sort out fitting everything back in and start on the wiring.
Dad had a spare loom from a mk1 shell he had a while ago so we used that to replace all the dodgy bare wires.
Since the weekend I have finished spraying the rocker cover and the servo.

They dont show my shiny rocker cover (dont worry Im not going with the yellow one) but it shows some of the progress. Its not all finished but at the mo I just want to get the bare essentialsfinishedto get her running again.

I still need to fit my shiny new manifold,

So my aim is to try and get her through an mot in the next few weeks, having no car has meant 2 trains to and from work everyday which isn't ideal!

Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated

:D

Back to the top
:roll: Blimey…lookin verrryy good,,mr pickles nxt !!
 :shaun:

Banner

Back to the top
Mr Pickles is next on the list to do don't worry!

Back to the top
That guy driving the forks is a ugly git lol lol lol

Is that the sportline lump you got from me?

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
It is indeed! Hopefully it will fun a bit better than the original!

Back to the top
I know I havent updated in a while but just to let you guys know Lola is in for an MOT tomorrow after failing on emissions today. Glad thats the only thing though! Hoping to get it back within the week. One hell of a clean due this weekend! Cant wait :)

Back to the top
Well I eventually got round to updating you guys even though its been months, truth be told alot of things have come before Lola for a few months exams, Ibiza, drinking! I got a bit fed up of seeing her on the drive in a complete state and gave up for a long while! :(
Anyway a few weeks ago I carted her off to the Dubshack to get finished off and ready for an MOT! She was there a while but last Sunday I picked her upafter Mike worked his magic on her and got her through an MOT.
Whilst taking the engine out stupid me left masking tape sheeting all over the paint work in the rain and baking hot sunshine and it ruined the paint. After many many emma hours scrubbing, many bottles of brake cleaner and petrol it came off!
So this Sunday is Lola's debut back on the show scene and I'm soooooo excited to show her off again! Today has been stupidly busy. I realised she was far too low to be used practically and daily so I put a different set of springs on, off came the BBS's and on went the shiny, newly painted graffite grey porsche teledials! I know they are common as cow sh*t but they look ace! Fitted a new Master Cylinder and sorted all the brakes, got the speedo working and had a good wash, polish and waxing seeing as it hasn't been done since last OCTOBER, shame on me!
So hear are some pictures from today, let me know what you think and hopefully we will see some of you tomorrow after our hibernation!  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Back from Dubshack

Off came the BBS's….

Clean the teledials ready to go on  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

On they go!

TAAAADDAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Back to the top
Sexyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ;0)

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.