Skip navigation

My 1983 white MK1 Golf GTi project

Back to the top

My 1983 white MK1 Golf GTi project

I got the wheels on yesterday. Sorry they arent 'real' BBS's, but they will tide me over until i can find a realistically priced set of RS001's. I dont think they look bad so im happy with them. The wife preferred the price of these too!  :wink:

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
The heights arent set as yet obviously because there is no weight in the car. Engine and all interior will have to go in before i can get the heights set as low as possible!  :wink:

Next job is bumpers, headlights, indicators, door handles and fit the grille properly.

Then its the engine rebuild! Not looking forward to the hours that this will require!

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
Take no notice of real "real splits" & "oh no, fake splits" gang, they look spot on. It's your ride and I would kack my pants if I had a set of £800 - £1000 BBS's on the car every time I drove it. And by the way yours is shaping up, I'd be driving it at every opportunity! The car looks awesome :mrgreen:

Back to the top
I suppose i could tell Kate that we arent going on hoiday this year and get a set og RS001's hey?

Im happy with these and i wont be doing enough miles to cause any problems. I guess the show boys and girs wont ike them, but im hoping the rest of my work on the car will impress.

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
Your car is amazing!!! :notworthy:

really considering either selling my mars red and getting a white one, or a colour change. This is making my decision a lot easier ;)

nice thread, keep it up

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
your mk1 looks spot on mate 8)

keep up the good work :D

Back to the top
Looks so good and clean man,

What's the size of wheels? they fit perfect…

82 Golf 1.8 20VT
My Project

Back to the top
Thankyou!

The wheels are 7 x 15" with 195/45r15 tyres. Im not sure about the offset im sorry, but i can check for you if you like? Iv got to have the wheels off this weekend anyway.

Does anyone know where i can get the front brake caliper slides from? I bought some mk2 ones from the dealers for alot of money! and the thread size on them is 8mm where the original ones are 10mm thread where they screw into the caliper carrier?

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
I couldnt resist it. Even though i will have to raise it when the weight goes in, iv set the coilovers low to see what it would look like. I cant wait for the weight to go back in now!

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
I've got a white GTi, and in my head, this is how I picture it looking should funds ever allow.

Top job sir, looks superb…

Back to the top
out of intrested where did you get the wheels and how much, guessing there copys as i did half read some earlier posts

Back to the top

since_1983 said

out of intrested where did you get the wheels and how much, guessing there copys as i did half read some earlier posts

I cant find the guy i bought them off, but these look exactly the same. Hope this helps? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/15-BBS-RS-ALLOY-WHEELS-VW-GOLF-MK3-GTI-MK4-POLO-9N_W0QQitemZ200445926091QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET?hash=item2eab821acb

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top

Granty said

I've got a white GTi, and in my head, this is how I picture it looking should funds ever allow.

Top job sir, looks superb…

I had a budget of how much i wanted to spend and at this point now, that has gone out of the window! Im going to keep the car because i love it and iv done it how i want it. Would be nice to know that its worth more than iv spent on it though!  :D

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top

Back to the top
your car & the wheels look great bud
brilliant shine of the white paint , I take it you spray motors for a living ?
cheers
baz

Back to the top
Nice looking car, how have you attached the wheels to the underneath of the car,
need to do the same thing to mine.
Cheers

Back to the top
Oh deary me… I've just done something involuntary!!!!  That is stunning mate.. the finish you have there is better than factory!!!  I'd be scared to drive it now lol !!!  

As for the engine rebuild… once you start it mate it'll all be getting too much for you to take in… then you take a breath do a bit more and it's finished… honestly…. that was my experience having never done an engine rebuild before… just take your time with the internals (valves, collets etc) and you'll be done before you know it.

Back to the top

bazmk1 said

your car & the wheels look great bud
brilliant shine of the white paint , I take it you spray motors for a living ?
cheers
baz

The paint was done by a friend of mine who is a paint sprayer and restorer. I have done the rest myself. I work at ABP Motorsport on sales for a living (UK garage of the year! www.abpmotorsport.co.uk ) Also a qualified motor vehicle technician too so that helps with the rebuild!  :wink:

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top

andy-b said

Nice looking car, how have you attached the wheels to the underneath of the car,
need to do the same thing to mine.
Cheers

When you remove the front lower suspension arm/anti roll bar mounts and the rear beam mounts, there are 2 x captive bolts in the floor. I got some hefty castors from a slaughter house trolley and drilled the holes to fit the captive bolts and fitted some nuts to hold them on. My original idea was to bolt good pieces of wood the the underside and bolt the castors to the wood, but it seemed quite simple to use the original mounting points. Once the car was stripped, it was really easy to manouver. Hope that helps?

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring
There are too many online users to list.