Skip navigation

My 1983 white MK1 Golf GTi project

Back to the top

My 1983 white MK1 Golf GTi project

I want to keep it very clean and 'white' looking. iv got a grille with no surround, i have had the holes in the sills welded where the lower black strips used to fit so not using them, not fitting A-pillar black strips or any other mouldings. I supose its not original, but its how i would like it. After all the work i have put into it, im not selling it! :D

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
If anyone is interested, all the welding, preperation and spraying was done by a guy in Shavington, Crewe, Cheshire called A.M. Wilkinson Body Restorations and his contact number is 07944 392759.  Hope this is some help to someone restoring a VW. As you can see, the bodywork is spot on.

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
Hey mate

Where in Nantwich you from? IM from Nant aswell

Ive also got a MK1 Golf C Sitting on me drive doing nothing , plans where for a PD130 TDI Transplant but its not happend yet  :(

84\' Volkswagen Golf C - Planned either 1.8 20VT or 1.9 TDI PD130

58\' Seat Leon 2.0TDI 16V PD170 - 240BHP here i come

Back to the top
In Stapeley mate.  Where are you?  Do you drive the MK1?

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
Got a few things fitted tonight. The headlining is starting to be fitted and i will get some photos up soon. Might soud odd that im fitting this first, but it over laps under the window rubbers and want to get these fitted to make it water tight inside.

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top

slavic said

In Stapeley mate.  Where are you?  Do you drive the MK1?

Im in burland other side of Nantwich

Nah its just a shell , nout to it , just doors and wheels , no engine

MY daily driver is a 2008 58 Red MK2 Seat Leon FR TDI , lowered with black wheels and mirrors

Had big plans of doing this MK1 as a project but nothing has happend to it  :cry: heres the Thread

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=68176

84\' Volkswagen Golf C - Planned either 1.8 20VT or 1.9 TDI PD130

58\' Seat Leon 2.0TDI 16V PD170 - 240BHP here i come

Back to the top
very clean lovely jobs mate.
im  gonna use alpina white too.

watching u. keep us update :D  

and u have a PM!

82 Golf 1.8 20VT
My Project

Back to the top
very nice work slavic, hope to see you flying round in her soon  :)

seconded about the quality of work at wilkos', also thier powdercoating is second to none

\'83 gti tintop…….and a shed full of oldskool aircooled bikes

Back to the top
Lovely finish. Should look lovely when finished

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments! Really nice to know that im doing it right or nearly right!  

Hope to get the under the arches etc undersealed and inside the body waxoyled this weekend. Will get some photos up on Sunday night hopefully.   :D

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
Had to spend time with the wife and son on Saturday so got some bits done on Sunday.

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
well, not really as most people cant afford them.

Fact is, if i could have bbs over them i would, but only due to build quality….

No scene points to be gained really.

If it looks smart, thats all that matters unless you want performance….

Back to the top
that freshly painted shell is a thing of beauty!!!  :D  :D  

very nice work indeed matey, bet you can't wait to cruise around in it??
oh and for what it's worth, i think you should put all the gti stripes and trim on too, i love them like that..  8)
but if not then hey-ho it is your car, do it how you want to , that is the best way..

richie

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
Thanks for all your comments guys!  :D

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
Got the front suspension fitted now as you can see. The rear is in the process of being fitted. I will get some photos up asap.

Has anyone got any ideas of where i can get new door, boot and window seals from?  Thank you.

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top

slavic said

Got the front suspension fitted now as you can see. The rear is in the process of being fitted. I will get some photos up asap.

Has anyone got any ideas of where i can get new door, boot and window seals from?  Thank you.

try crazyquiff he normally has anything you need

Back to the top
Ah good old tony! This looks like an exact replica of my mk1 build from afew months ago, had my shell done
by tony and its going back in a couple of weeks for a touch up. Im from Alsager.
What engines going in Slavic?

Back to the top
The pic of the coilover/strut/wishbone is good enough to be in the calendar

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

dunc said

Ah good old tony! This looks like an exact replica of my mk1 build from afew months ago, had my shell done
by tony and its going back in a couple of weeks for a touch up. Im from Alsager.
What engines going in Slavic?

I thought i would give him a mention as he did a brilliant job! I was threatening him that i was going to put a photo of him on here! He wasnt happy!  :lol:

Think im just going to rebuild the original 1.8 because i just want a nice car to cruise in with my wife and little boy. I cant wait for the first voyage to Abersoch (north Wales) in it!  8)

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

The pic of the coilover/strut/wishbone is good enough to be in the calendar

Do you think so? Thats a mint idea!  

I would like to get some nice photos of both my cars when i have finished the MK1.

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring
There are too many online users to list.