Skip navigation

Engine Detailing

Back to the top

Engine Detailing

Nice

I thought my engine refurbing ocd was bad lol

Back to the top
absolutely stunning job mate, keep up the good work...

Back to the top
the awesometer is in the high 90's

brilliant

Back to the top
wow

only just caught this thread. Engine looks better than it came out the factory.

OEM++

Amazing attention to detail, fit and finish

look forward to more updates

Back to the top
Really impressive work. Just a question if I may - firstly do you work in the car industry - or are you a tinkerer ? Also, did you use an air fed mask when spraying the two pack ? (you are doing this in your garage right?)

Great work, cant wait to see it finished.

Steve

Back to the top
ant wait to see this finished it will be so box fresh

Back to the top
hats off mate! bloody fantastic! mine will never look as good as this weldone keep up the good work i will be watching

Back to the top
Thanks for the great comments guys. Really keeps the motivation going!

Steve: I don't work in the car industry i'm in the health service sadly, tinkering around makes a change from my day to day work though. I have a friend who has his own body shop so borrowed his air fed mask for spraying, you have to 2k paint is lethal.

Carbs4ever: It was after reading your thead back in January this year that got me started on mine! Great job!

More updates this weekend………..

1990 MK1 Golf GTI Cabriolet
1983 MK1 Golf Campaign
Banner

Back to the top
You are doing a cracking job. It takes alot of effort, time and love for the car to do this to that standard. The good thing is that it makes your individual and that makes you enjoy your car more.  My wife doesnt understand it and says im having an affair with my Golf!  I have put alot of time into doing mine (not to this standard i might add) but the end result feels good.  :

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
Great job Slavic. I know what you mean about the wife, I have exactly the same problem!!

Fitted the braking mechanism

Steering rack in with new original bellows. Rack has been sprayed in under hood black and U-clamps cleaned and freshly zinc plated.

Part of the gear change linkage fitted

The rest of the weekend was spent fitting the wiring loom to the fuse box and running the wires in the engine bay.

1983 MK1 Golf Campaign
Banner

Back to the top
Where did you get your steering column lower gaitor from?  Iv been looking for one of these for a while now. Thankyou!

Golf Mk1 project
BMW 325i Touring

Back to the top
It's a used one from Crazy Quiffs. It's mint, no cracks and still nice and soft. Just gave it a clean up and a spray with 303 Aerospace Protectant to bring it up as new.

1983 MK1 Golf Campaign
Banner

Back to the top
outstanding work !!

Back to the top
On the home run now!

Fitted wiper mechanism

Wiring loom in.

Professionally rebuilt gear box sprayed in Aluma Blast and newly zinc plated parts put back on. New engine mount rubber pressed in.

Front suspension and wheels put back on

Engine taken off stand using engine hoist and lowered to fit pressure plate, clutch disc and flywheel

Transmission fitted on to the end of the engine and bolted into place

Engine lifted and positioned in engine bay.

Engine carefully lowered into position and fixed to engine mounts

1983 MK1 Golf Campaign
Banner

Back to the top
I'm inspired! Very nice work.  :wink:

Back to the top
very nice update.

Don't suppose you have a break down of the order the bits go back on the wiper shaft?

Still have mine to put back together.

Back to the top
Hi
Stunning work
Im thinking about pulling my engine out this winter to clean my bay etc , Some people prefere to drop the engine+box which was the method i was thinking about doing , but going from the top with the whole unit didnt look to bad from the picts any extra tips?
baz

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Baz. Putting the engine back in was not as bad as I thought. It took two of us one at the gearbox end and one at the opposite end. You really have to tilt the engine down (gearbox end) then just line up the engine mounts to the brackets. Just take your time!

Mike. Will PM you some photos of the order of bits on the wiper shaft.

New original rad fitted

A little tip for fitting the snap ring back into the retainer on the starter motor

Oil cooler hoses fitted. These are the original one cleaned and zinc plated.

Just a few photos of how the bay is looking at the moment. I think another week or two it will be complete!

1983 MK1 Golf Campaign
Banner

Back to the top
AWESOME

Back to the top
love the engine nice work
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.