Back to the top
8) Loving it,top work m8

Back to the top
Nice work!

Back to the top
looks awesome mate
very good keep us posted bro

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments guys. Plating kit is from Caswells Europe. Took me a bit of time to perfect the technique to do this but I finally got there! Very satisfying though.

Got some more plating done today.

This is what it is going to look like when put back together

1990 MK1 Golf GTI Cabriolet
1983 MK1 Golf Campaign
Banner

Back to the top
Looks awesome man…

Some painstaking effort going in there :D

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Been putting some of the parts back together once the plating is done.

Water pump halves bolted back together with new gasket and freshly plated bolts.

Cleaned distributor with Ali-Clean then a light spray of Diamond Clear. Then put back together with the newly plated parts.

Looks brand new!

1983 MK1 Golf Campaign
Banner

Back to the top
WOW spot on fella imagine how much this process would cost to do at a company!!?? bet you saving thousands!!! looks top dollar as well!

Back to the top
amazing work, only wish i had the patience to dto something like this

keep up the fantastic work mate

Matt

Back to the top
Hi mate,

I wish I spent more time detailing when I done mine…I ended up rebuilding pistons and everything so bypassed the detailing mostly  :roll: .  This looks cracking!!!  When I done mine I struggled to take the flywheel off as it kept turning… I done the same as you with the pressure plate though which made it easy….. how did you remove the flywheel, any tips?

Back to the top
I cant stop looking at this lovely lovely lovely.

Back to the top
Can start putting stuff back on the block now it's finished

Stripped sump down to bare metal then Degreasing, Metal Ready, Etch Primer and top coated in Under Hood Black spray

Sump bolts and a few other bits being Zinc Plated in tank

Bolts out of tank

Now this is the clever part, the freshly zinc plated bolts are immersed into a zinc blackener solution until uniformly black

The newly blackened parts are sealed with WD40 then refitted

More plated stuff!

Wiper mechanism components stripped. Frame and motor painted with Eastwood Clear Zinc spray and other parts yellow zinc plated ready to be rebuilt

Rebuilt

Bonnet lock stripped, cleaned and yellow zinc plated

Refitting

1983 MK1 Golf Campaign
Banner

Back to the top
I'm loving your work…

and in the middle of the same process

So far happy with the results of the yellow zinc, but with the black, i was told this was only OK for internal parts. :banghead:

Is this why you are using WD40?

I started to go down the silver, or stainless, route for bolts, but would prefer to have a good solution for black.

Keep the updates coming  8)

Back to the top
Update time!

Stripped alternator down and rebuilt with new bearings and regulator from JCR Supplies

Red primer from Halfords is used and top coated with Diamond Clear

Gear linkage parts cleaned up and zinc plated. New bush and ball kit from Crazy Quiffs

Oil cooler sprayed with Aluma Blast. Bracket and bolts cleaned up and zinc plated

Rebuilt

Head lights cleaned and back plates zinc plated

Rebuilt cylinder head cleaned with Ali-Clean and a wire brush then a light coat of Diamond Clear. Fitted to block and correctly torqued up with new bolts.

Cam cover and injection manifold fitted, all with new and original gaskets.

1983 MK1 Golf Campaign
Banner

Back to the top
That is stunning. Makes me want to give mine the same treatment. Cannot believe how good it looks!

1992 Pearl Green Clipper Cab - 16v (9a block, KR head, GSXR600 Carbs) :)

Back to the top
AWESOME!

Back to the top
major congrats mate! top top job! how did you get hold of the zinc plating stuff? can you buy it over the counter?

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I'm using a zinc plating kits from Caswell Europe. I recommend buying a constant current power supply. The one I have is from Maplin and is a 20 volt 5 amp model, which I find is powerful enough for most zinc plating jobs.

1983 MK1 Golf Campaign
Banner

Back to the top
Wow - that looks just fantastic…. i'm plating some brake calipers right now with i think the same ebay kit - then i will passivate them yellow.
I hope they look as good as your stuff.. Really look forward to seeing your finished Engine.

Back to the top
I did a simular job on my old g60. tho i put any bright alloy parts in my ultasonic cleaner with some cleaner for a few hours and they come out looking factory fresh.

will be interesting to see it in the bay. might give yomps a run for best engine?

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.