Skip navigation

PROJECT DEL BOY

Back to the top

PROJECT DEL BOY

Been busy with a few things recently;  bought one of these:

Me and my mate got it for £1000 to do some track days with - did our first 'shakedown' at Hullavington in Wiltshire - all I say is what a car!!  Now needs a new CV joint and we definately need to invest in a dolly/trailer! :)

Also had a few other projects on the go:

..chicken run..

..and a couple of these wine racks..

..oh yeah - and I installed this! With the help of my Dad fitted static airline from the workshop to the garage.

Also other boring bits but anyway - Dad and Bro-in-law came down this weekend to help me chop down a tree.  After a bit of discussion over early moring tea decided it would be a bit to dodgy to attempt so suggested getting the engine out of the VW!:

Start of the day

30 year old home made engine hoist!

Then on to the engine strip:

So my parts storage has gone from this:

to this:

Have also started to strip the interior to check for any nasty suprises in floor pan and get the car ready to start bodywork:

Looks like a new carpet will be £143 from Newton Commercials but not sure what to do with the seats.  The plastic/leather parts are ok but the material is shagged so maybe need upholstering.  I also need some new plastic bush things for the seat slidding mechanism (seats were sliding metal-to-metal before!) - any ideas where to get these?

Onwards and upwards!

David
Poole, Dorset

Mk1 GL Cabriolet, 1457cc Manual, Papyrus Green:  Long term restoration of a car that's been in the family since new:   Project DEL BOY
Mk1 Golf GLS Cabriolet, 1457cc Auto, Yellow/Light Blue: Breaking for spares (anyone need a shell?): Breaking Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1457cc, GLS (Dorset)

Back to the top
Hi all, sorry for long delay since last post. Hope you all had a nice Christmas!

Things have been progressing since last update, engine fully rebuilt, sprayed up, ready to go back in, car basically fully stripped bar windows and hood, welder bought and welding started.

I will post pictures soon, but I have just bought a donor vehicle to strip for bits and panels + spare engine (it is same age and engine as mine but not really an inviting project as auto box and quite tatty).

If you are looking for Cabriolet bits, may have what you need:

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=classifieds%2Fbreaking-a-car_2%2Fbreaking-mk1-golf&redirected=1#post_1367793

Update more soon!

David
Poole, Dorset

Mk1 GL Cabriolet, 1457cc Manual, Papyrus Green:  Long term restoration of a car that's been in the family since new:   Project DEL BOY
Mk1 Golf GLS Cabriolet, 1457cc Auto, Yellow/Light Blue: Breaking for spares (anyone need a shell?): Breaking Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1457cc, GLS (Dorset)

Back to the top
Hi looking forward to seeing and reading more on this thead, You look like a very hands on person and noticed a few motorbike interests going on theyre??

Back to the top
 :thumbs:

Good to hear back

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

I've just bought a convertible and your images have been really helpful understanding what goes where - thanks.  ;)

WeegieBob.

Back to the top
Looks like a good project mate. Loving the engine hoist and it's the same age as the car :)

Back to the top
really nice project mate. Nice to hear its been in the family since new and now been restored instead of sold or scrapped. hats off to you.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Hi all, thanks for nice comments.

Bit of an update, donor car has now been collected. Need to assess what bits are good and work out prices. Will post pictures on my post shortly.

Plan to strip the car next weekend, so will be in position to send stuff after that.

If anyone looking for a specific part, please let me know.

Kind regards,

David

David
Poole, Dorset

Back to the top
Sooo, I bit of a long overdue update..

Since my last major post, with assistance from my father, I have;

* re-built the engine
* designed and built a rotisserie which can lift the car and rotate through 360 degrees
* bought a mig welder, sourced a free gas bottle (found supplier of CO2) and rest of kit
* completed about 50% of welding required on car
* car stripped of majority of components in preparation for paint
* bought a donor car for replacement panels, engine components etc

So a few pictures (not of everything I'm afraid):

The spit (fabricated and sprayed by my Dad and I)

Video of the car spinning below:

The clean up begins..

Will take a some more pictures of the other things I have completed, but that will do for now.

I have loads of pictures of cable routes etc if anyone needs a hand!

Dave

Last edit: by Scamparelli

David
Poole, Dorset

Back to the top
Bit of an update - need to take more pictures however.

So the donor car is completely stripped bar the rear running gear, tank and glass (doors and windows last thing to be stripped before I get it collected for scrap.  The actual shell is in reasonably good knick apart from the floor pan which has blown (and not fully assessed the underside just yet!).  Will take some pictures at the weekend and post as a fair well to the old girl (she is a MK1 after all).

I'm left with a nice amount of spares including a load of very useful bolts and fixings:

Engine and other large parts stored under the decking until required:

Bit of work done on my motor, in between the stripping of the donor car and storms:

Finished off repair which was stopped when welder packed up (dodgy circuit board which my Dad kindly managed to rebuild):

Started to work on the first of the rear arches:

A bit of repair work required to the inner arch:

A couple of repair panels ready to go on from ebay seller Waterwagons (£35 + £6 del for the pair):

Other work that needs doing:

How she sits at the mo:

Thanks for looking!

Dave

David
Poole, Dorset

Back to the top
Tidy work so far Dave ;)

That was a decent price for the panels I think

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Cheers Andy.

Also bought a set of these (not such a good deal!):

I'm keeping her standard, but couldn't resist these as a little bit of bling! (well at least until I find a mint set of brown winders).

David
Poole, Dorset

Back to the top
A mint set of brown winders - you'll be waiting a while I think!  :lol:  Nice replacement in the meantime though  ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yeah, the more I look the more I agree!

Can you or anyone else recommend somewhere to get a set of replacement bushes?

I see loads on e-bay, but I'm looking for a standard set up, so not sure about the shiny hard looking polybush stuff I'm seeing!

Cheers,

Dave

David
Poole, Dorset

Back to the top
Polybush stuff will rattle your fillings. You should be able to get most standard ones if not all from VWH.

http://www.vwheritage.com/

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Small update, had a few hours over the weekend where I could continue the strip down of the donor car.

Jacked up the rear and stripped off the rear brakes, got to the point of dropping the rear axle, but found it wouldn't drop one side.  Thought it was just corroded, but on further investigation found someone had carried out a little repair and managed to weld the bracket to the underside of the car (quite impressive really!!):

Floor pan is blown on one side:

How did they weld this with the axle and fuel tank on??!!

Started listing all the bits from the car on ebay - links on my breaking car post: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=classifieds%2Fbreaking-a-car_2%2Fbreaking-mk1-golf&redirected=1#post_1383440

Thanks for reading,

Dave

David
Poole, Dorset

Back to the top
Hi all, have been really rubbish at uploading my progress on here and it did stall/slow down a bit with the arrival of my two children, but happy to report that all the welding is now complete - most recent images below:

The plan now is to:
  • Clean underside and check I haven't missed any rust spots
  • Underseal the whole underside of the body (black), up into the wheel arches so anything facing the floor is complete
  • Refit refurbished running gear, suspension and wheels (get back on wheels to send to paint)
  • Remove front screen, finish body prep, apply stone chip to skirt of car
  • Deliver to paint shop
Few queries:

Not decided who to use for the spray job - I live in Poole if anyone has a good recommendation
I am planning to leave the hood on the car, but remove the slacken the wire and lift it away from bottom lip to give access for painting - anyone done this before? (assume the hood is ok in heaters they use?)

Hope to get sent to paint in the next month or so.

Dave

David
Poole, Dorset

Back to the top
Hi Dave

Great job on the repairs, coming along very nicely  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Hey Dave,

Glad you're still working on it! Great amount of work!

The hood frames are prone to rust around the back window, something you may find later after the respray, not sure if that'd change your mind about taking it off before so you don't damage the nice paint when it comes back :)

1986 Cabriolet (long resto!)
1983 Cabriolet (daily pain in the bum)
1983 T25 (weekend pain in the bum)

Follow us on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks for the replies.

The hood was replaced a while back, so the mechanism is in pretty good shape - will make sure before I spray though thanks.

Been having some thoughts and discussions regarding the spray job.  I think I am going to invest in an air fed mask, triple stage filter, but the paint and give it a shot myself.  Anyone bought any of these and can recommend a brand?:

http://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/products.php?pid=98&id=99&osCsid=um2rn2u79dgenvk9qe1pf0ftl2

This is going to involve setting up the garage with construction plastic, extraction etc as this chap has done:

http://www.mckennasgarage.com/xke/jag_25.htm

Bit of good information to read here:

http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/8548/diy-how-to-create-a-car-paint-booth-whats-involved

Think I have a source for the extraction fan - going to need some thought for this!

Dave

David
Poole, Dorset

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.