Skip navigation

HOW TO : Flush cooling system and change thermostat.

Back to the top

HOW TO : Flush cooling system and change thermostat.

Hi
Thanks for a good low down on the flush!
I wanted to replace my hoses with those Samco ones and there are two sets the main one and an ancillary set.
Prob is I don't know if all the hoses will fit my car 1992 Sportline..
I saw them on E bay . They are really dear…
They also appear not to have all the hoses in the set…
Can anyone advise?
The seller is a guy called Amber Performance.
Ta

Back to the top
Fantastic. Had the laptop sitting on my cabrio roof and just worked my way through it. I went and bought the tool to remove the clips for the heater pipes but i couldn't get them off so i just flushed everything else.

Also snapped a bolt when fitting a new thermostat but luckily i was able to grind a groove and undo it with a fatheaded screw driver.

I ended up using similar bolts and washers from halfords. will there be ok or do you think i should replace them with ones from vw?

Back to the top

Miotog said

Hi
Thanks for a good low down on the flush!
I wanted to replace my hoses with those Samco ones and there are two sets the main one and an ancillary set.
Prob is I don't know if all the hoses will fit my car 1992 Sportline..
I saw them on E bay . They are really dear…
They also appear not to have all the hoses in the set…
Can anyone advise?
The seller is a guy called Amber Performance.
Ta

I have Samco hoses on my Sportline, you get the coolant hoses and samco clips for around £150.

The ancillary hoses are different altogether, I think they are for the oil hoses etcMessage but I haven't bothered with them .

Back to the top
Thanks
Mine arrived today…
My water pump us leaking so I am getting one from GSF for about £35

Back to the top
Just remember to check the bolts on the pump for tightness as I fitted my new pump and new everything and the pump leaked !!!! So I had to drain down, take of the alternator etc and remove the pump and tighten the bolts… bl**dy annoying !!

Back to the top
Thanks Massbad…
Will bear that in mind…

Back to the top
Hi
I would suggest your water pump may not be working correctly.
The belt drives the pump impeller which pushes the water around the loop.
If the pump is OK sounds like you've got a blockage somewhere.
Is the drive belt actually turning the pump?
The pully might be turning but the shaft has come away and is not driving the water pump.
Check to see if the belt it is tensioned correctly…
When you flush the circuit as the good chap Kavifc mentioned above does the water flow out freely of the different sections of the water circuit good or does it seems as if the water is not flowing freely from one part of the circuit.
If the circuit has never been flushed there could be a piece of dirt/rust metal stuck somewhere??
Good luck…

Back to the top

Diesel-dubber said

I agree, only tricky bit was that bloomin' radiator hose clip! Needed 2 pairs of hands to get the hose back on.

I found it easier to use 'grip lock pliers'  to push the hose clip together as they only needed one hand and you can lock them in place

Back to the top
spring clip pliers are the way to go.
Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 11.29.32 AM.png

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.