Skip navigation

reconditioned shells

Back to the top

reconditioned shells

I have no idea as I'm unable to ask them.

If you want really cheap labour, take the golf over to hungary or poland whilst on holiday, afterall a lot of people go over there to get the teeth fixed, I can't see why you can't get the car fixed there too. I believe they are highly skilled people.

Back to the top

golf1 said

I have no idea as I'm unable to ask them.

Hang on I thought you said there were loads of out of work panel beaters?

golf1 said

If you want really cheap labour, take the golf over to hungary or poland whilst on holiday, afterall a lot of people go over there to get the teeth fixed, I can't see why you can't get the car fixed there too. I believe they are highly skilled people.

What a damn good idea!  :y:

Do you think I can get my rolling shell in a suitcase? it is quite a large case but I'm worried I may have to pay for excess weight :dontknow:

Failing that maybe I can push it to Poland and hope no one sees me going through the chunnel (trying to keep costs down you see :wink: )

Perhaps the panel beater can fix my teeth while he's at it :lol:  :lol:  :roll:
I'm sure my own dentist used an air chisel on me the last time I went.

Back to the top
Plenty of garages have gone to the wall throwing many tradesmen on the dole. I thinkit is something to do with lack of work and being in a recession.

It was a bit of a joke at first with taking the car to poland or hungary, you could of course put it on a trailer, but now I've suggested the idea I'm half tempted to do it myself.

Back to the top
is this thread a wind up!

rob

www.keets-customs.co.uk

Back to the top

k33ts said

is this thread a wind up!

Of course its a wind up!

Back to the top
no its not a wind up, its a sensible debate.

Back to the top

golf1 said

The going rate is about 8 quid an hour (taxable). plently of out of work panel beaters out there willing to work for less.

How many of them out of work panel beaters that were on ?8.00ph do you actually think remade panels from scratch in there day to day jobs. I think a very very small percentage will have even attempted it. Most now a days just repair accident damaged modern cars. The modern panel beaters duties have changed dramatically to what they were 20 years ago.

Back to the top
Give up Kenno, some just don't understand :wink:  :lol:  :banghead:

Back to the top
Regarding crowsons punks comments about new shells viability.

My thoughts are this….

When I was talking about the Golf shell being more complicated I was comparing producing a new one, not repairing one and I stand by my comment. Have you ever cut through a"B" pillar of a mk1 Golf or through the front of a floor pan.

In this debate you cannot compare the golf to the MG or other 2 seater sports cars of this earlier period because these cars were more of a luxury car than the Golf. The Golf was just a run of the mill practical car for taking the kids to school in. Because of this 7 million  golfs were sold compared to 1 million MGB's. The Golf wasn't so much a dream car but a necessity.

There are probably more MGB enthusiasts, (due to the MG's more luxury/dream status), than golf enthusiasts but less MG's to go around compared to the number of Golfs to go around. Supply and demand then comes in which makes making, what is a fairly simple shell, a whole lot more viable.

Also, have you stood on the MG owners club stand at a show recently. Its like stepping into a nursing home, full of rusty zips and wet slippers :sick:  Most of their owners couldn't use a welder even if they could see it!

I've also searched for new beetle shells as this could be a good guide with the Golf but cannot find any for sale. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Surely if they're not being reproduced yet then what chance will the Golf ever have? :dontknow:

Back to the top
Basically you need to wait another 10 years or so when, perhaps if you're lucky, MK1's will cost in excess of ?10K then ?4K or whatever for a shell wouldn't be unrealistic.

If you want to make a bit of money now I guess the thing to do would get a cheap GTI and get it to concours condition, taking your time, and perhaps make a couple of ?K at the end of it.

Marc

Back to the top
I'm going to have a go at sand blasting a shell, then give it a coat of primer, repair  the sills, front and back panel and chassis rails just to see how long it takes. I'm going to make two rotating stands to make it easier for me, got nothing to lose.

Back to the top

golf1 said

I'm going to have a go at sand blasting a shell, then give it a coat of primer, repair  the sills, front and back panel and chassis rails just to see how long it takes. I'm going to make two rotating stands to make it easier for me, got nothing to lose.

Good luck.

Have you seen this thread?:

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=49245&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Jellybelly made his own rotating stands which look quite good.
May also give you some idea of the potential pitfalls as its a very well detailed thread.

Back to the top

Yomp said

Give up Kenno, some just don't understand :wink:  :lol:  :banghead:

Here here -

If anyone is going to POLAND send us a post card!!!! :roll:

Back to the top
right then been sitting back and watching this for a while now

i have a very rotten Mk1 and can safely say there would be now money in this idea

if you were to get a shell/project for ?200 - ?300 and it's as rotten as mine your looking at ?700 just to get all the repair panels, steel sheet, welding things like gas, wire

then you've got respray cost an all other things

Golf Mk1 are reknown for being rot boxes some are worse than others

it's the vw design of the whole car that is the problem some of the sections are just water traps and very complited like Yomp has said

if you would like a shell to practise come and finish mine as i think i've lost the will !!!!! :lol:  :lol:

Banner

Back to the top
LOL!!

Back to the top
mk1 golfs rotbox,s?? joking, very few 25 year old cars are still in the condition of the mk1,s i have had.

Back to the top
bump

Back to the top
aparrantly some companies will acid bath and galvanise a shell for under a grand - pick up a tidy shell first and youve got a nearly rust prooff car :)  like sumone said earlier on in another 20 od years mk1`s will be going for about 10k

Back to the top
on that note anyone want a cabby shell mostly solid with the nescesary repair panels.

always on the job me  :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.